The sorry state of RMI today.
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-14 07:11:53 UTC
Perhaps it's true that usenet is dead. I remember posting to RMI in
the mid-to-late 90s and there were 100-150 posts per day on average
and now it seems that there's not even 5 a day? Did web forums,
livejournal and so on kill usenet? Has this been going on in other
usenet newsgroups over the past few years?

I haven't read/posted on RMI or the other newsgroups I used to
frequent in over four years but it's really sad to see how utterly
dead they are now. I'm sure that the mp3/movie/binary newsgroups are
doing a lot of "business" but what became of the text-based ones like
this one?

Where did everyone go?

--

Mr. Tangent [the binary police]

"Religion is a magic device for turning unanswerable
questions into unquestionable answers." -Art Gecko,
Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Don Muerte
2004-08-14 09:37:41 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
Perhaps it's true that usenet is dead. I remember posting to RMI in
the mid-to-late 90s and there were 100-150 posts per day on average
and now it seems that there's not even 5 a day? Did web forums,
livejournal and so on kill usenet? Has this been going on in other
usenet newsgroups over the past few years?
I haven't read/posted on RMI or the other newsgroups I used to
frequent in over four years but it's really sad to see how utterly
dead they are now. I'm sure that the mp3/movie/binary newsgroups are
doing a lot of "business" but what became of the text-based ones like
this one?
Where did everyone go?
Someone's going to have to regulate you, boy! I already specifically told
you where they want personally and you must not have listened. This was
discussed in another thread maybe just a couple of weeks ago. I was then
told to go to #rmipeople by Veni Vidi Exii on irc.habber.net or to just use
MySpace and LiveJournal to find goth girls to fuck... take your pick!
--
Don Muerte
http://www.ls-ttl.com

---
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-14 12:18:47 UTC
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 02:37:41 -0700, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Don Muerte
Someone's going to have to regulate you, boy! I already specifically told
you where they want personally and you must not have listened. This was
discussed in another thread maybe just a couple of weeks ago. I was then
told to go to #rmipeople by Veni Vidi Exii on irc.habber.net or to just use
MySpace and LiveJournal to find goth girls to fuck... take your pick!
I remember our conversation, dear DonMuerte. That's why I wrote the
original post, in fact. It just seems dreary. I know you said they
left elsewhere... it still doesn't diminish the sadness of it. Even
though I was absent from usenet for years... it just seems as if I
were a soldier returning home from war to find that my hometown was
destroyed.

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Dayv!
2004-08-17 16:07:55 UTC
it just seems as if I were a soldier returning home from war to find that my
hometown was destroyed.
Destroyed? How about deserted? See also:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/saiga/yuji/gallary/gunsu/g-text-e.html

And, of course:

-Dayv!

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the
manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of
words, you can control the people who must use the words."
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 06:47:55 UTC
On 17 Aug 2004 09:07:55 -0700, with raygun in hand the aliens forced
Post by Dayv!
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/saiga/yuji/gallary/gunsu/g-text-e.html
That was sublime, Dayv! I thoroughly enjoyed that (and the pictures
and other links on the same website).

That story reminds me of Times Beach, Missouri:
http://tinyurl.com/46td4

We used to pass by it on our yearly trip from Chicago to Springfield,
Missouri to visit family when I was a child. I remember being
simultaneously mystified by it and frightened of it. Abandoned towns
are creepy, yet ultimately sad and intriguing. It makes me very
nostalgic and introspective thinking of abandoned towns.
Post by Dayv!
http://www.yourpain.com/laughing/genres.gif
Haha.

Good to see you're still alive, Dayv!

PS: You still owe me a tape compilation (of Jarboe/Swans) from like
six years ago.

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Locke
2004-08-14 22:10:41 UTC
One day Mr. Tangent posted:
|Perhaps it's true that usenet is dead. I remember posting to RMI in
|the mid-to-late 90s and there were 100-150 posts per day on average
|and now it seems that there's not even 5 a day? Did web forums,
|livejournal and so on kill usenet? Has this been going on in other
|usenet newsgroups over the past few years?
|
|I haven't read/posted on RMI or the other newsgroups I used to
|frequent in over four years but it's really sad to see how utterly
|dead they are now. I'm sure that the mp3/movie/binary newsgroups are
|doing a lot of "business" but what became of the text-based ones like
|this one?
|
|Where did everyone go?

Most of them grew up, got married, and sold their CD collection on eBay.

I have observed a dwindling interest in industrial and related music styles
(at least in the local scene around here), and I think this lead to a lack
of new people (and discussion topics) in RMI. As a result, more and more
regulars got bored with the endless repetition of the same old threads and
left. Flashy web forums contributed to the problem as well.

CU,
Locke

NP: Alexander Hacke "Filmarbeiten"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
David Stallard
2004-08-15 02:10:26 UTC
In my case, I'm still as much of an industrial freak as I was 15 years ago.
However, for the last 5 years (at least) I've found that the scene has
deviated WILDLY from what I liked about it. So, I keep myself happy
listening to my old CDs and I'm mostly disconnected from today's scene.

Also, I think rmi got to a point where it was full of inside jokes and
"elite" veterans making fun of any newbies who would dare come here and ask
about a "mainstream" industrial band like Nitzer Ebb or whatever. That
probably drove a lot of people away who might have become regular
contributors.
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-15 08:31:29 UTC
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:10:26 GMT, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by David Stallard
In my case, I'm still as much of an industrial freak as I was 15 years ago.
However, for the last 5 years (at least) I've found that the scene has
deviated WILDLY from what I liked about it. So, I keep myself happy
listening to my old CDs and I'm mostly disconnected from today's scene.
Also, I think rmi got to a point where it was full of inside jokes and
"elite" veterans making fun of any newbies who would dare come here and ask
about a "mainstream" industrial band like Nitzer Ebb or whatever. That
probably drove a lot of people away who might have become regular
contributors.
Yeah, but there was a lot of flaming going on in the mid-to-late 90s,
too. But that probably did help erode RMI in the long run. It was
just rather shocking to see how utterly quiet it was in here compared
to when I was around before...

I had half assumed usenet would be a cesspool for spam (since spam was
just coming out when I stopped visiting) but wasn't prepared for the
fact that it was a virtual ghost town.

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Todd Clayton
2004-08-15 10:06:13 UTC
Post by David Stallard
Also, I think rmi got to a point where it was full of inside jokes and
"elite" veterans making fun of any newbies who would dare come here and ask
about a "mainstream" industrial band like Nitzer Ebb or whatever. That
probably drove a lot of people away who might have become regular
contributors.
Yeah, this always pissed me off.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| Todd Clayton aka DJ Todd | Real Synthetic Audio |
never owned a cat.
Veni Vidi Exii
2004-08-15 19:24:40 UTC
Post by Todd Clayton
Post by David Stallard
Also, I think rmi got to a point where it was full of
inside jokes and "elite" veterans making fun of any
newbies who would dare come here and ask about a
"mainstream" industrial band like Nitzer Ebb or whatever.
That probably drove a lot of people away who might have
become regular contributors.
Yeah, this always pissed me off.
I was always more offended by the futurepop newbies. A Nitzer
Ebb RFI would've made my fucking day.

Lets face it, the stuff most of the regulars here listened to
isn't made anymore - at least, not by "industrial" bands. So
when everyone started listening to Funker Vogt and Velvet Acid
Christ fulltime, they left a fair number of us by the wayside
to do so. There's a lot of talk about betraying the scene,
but that scene was never my scene. Stick me in a room with a
bunch of italo-disco records, sure, but not to the exclusion
of all else.

And Tangent: People coming back here to shake a finger and say
"shame, shame!" doesn't really help. You ditched long before
the #rmipeople defectors gave up. So RMI is what you made of
it. If you care, then stay and try to drum up conversation.
Todd and I still read, although I only check occasionally.
And if its no big deal, then join us on IRC or find somewhere
else to chit-chat about stuff.

"Elitists" and "inside jokes" were never the problem with RMI.
A shared vocabulary of events and terms are what keeps a
community together and knowledge of this vocabulary is and was
freely available. People who think you can walk into a social
group and receive immediate attention and dominance, however,
will always be sneered at. RMI or otherwise. Take that how
you will.
--
-Chris
"The 80s sucked in the 80s, and they still suck now."

"For that much man-on-man power, you had to step over into the
German industrial theme, the most manly music of all time."
- Hans Bunschlapen, of Zeigenbock Kopf
Chris Christian
2004-08-16 00:49:18 UTC
Post by Veni Vidi Exii
People coming back here to shake a finger and say
"shame, shame!" doesn't really help.
C'mon people always love to be hypocrites.

I was one of those who went and preached the Power Noise revolution.
My music purchases fro last weekend include the following:

Das Ich - Lava
Grendel - Prescription:Medicide
Proyecto Mirage - Gas Alarm
Needle Sharing - Switching to Channel Inferno
V/A - Form of Hands 2004

Of course I still have a little old school left in me after seeing
DEVO play in front of 10000 people here in Portland, OR two weeks
ago as part of the Nike/VH1 Run Hit Wonder event. That might explain
the new double CD version of Front 242's Geography sitting on my desk.

Jester
Since 1991 and still going....
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 06:58:46 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:49:18 +0000 (UTC), with raygun in hand the
Post by Chris Christian
C'mon people always love to be hypocrites.
I was one of those who went and preached the Power Noise revolution.
I wasn't being hypocritical, or not intentionally. I was merely
making a (slightly dumbfounded) observation.

I remember you... you're the same guy who ran Sonic Boom back in the
day, right?

Btw, whatever happened to Clock DVA? I remember reading the official
page back in like '98ish or something, which I believe you used to
run, and Adi Newton was supposed to be recording a surround sound
Clock DVA album. What happened to it? What are they/he up to now?

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Hunter
2004-08-17 11:01:38 UTC
Post by Veni Vidi Exii
I was always more offended by the futurepop newbies. A Nitzer
Ebb RFI would've made my fucking day.
Hmmmm... Shit, the best I can come up with is:
Have you heard Between the Devil by Fixmer & McCarthy
and what did you think of it?

Hunter, lurking since '95 and who STILL believes Greg Clow's
Vaginal Blood Fart should have got the kudos.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=6dsr7o%24jcc%40ccshst05.uoguelph.ca&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26scoring%3Dd%26q%3Dvaginal%2Bblood%2Bfart%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec.music.industrial
(A thread that is one example of why I liked RMI so much)
Lech
2004-08-23 02:56:35 UTC
Post by Hunter
Have you heard Between the Devil by Fixmer & McCarthy
and what did you think of it?
It sucks ass. Now, where did I leave "That Total Age"?

(np: Portion Control "Well Come")
"Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating."
Hunter
2004-08-27 15:24:04 UTC
Post by Lech
Post by Hunter
Have you heard Between the Devil by Fixmer & McCarthy
and what did you think of it?
It sucks ass. Now, where did I leave "That Total Age"?
(np: Portion Control "Well Come")
Just listened to it about an hour ago, and yeah - I'd have to agree.
Not percussive enough and there wasn't a single track that jumped out
at me. I'll try to listen a few more times (if I can make it through)
and see if it improves.

(np: GYBE! [or is it G!YBE now?] Rockets fall on Rocket Falls)...
cleansing the palette
Dj Vort3xxX
2004-08-28 18:39:12 UTC
Post by Hunter
Post by Lech
Post by Hunter
Have you heard Between the Devil by Fixmer & McCarthy
and what did you think of it?
It sucks ass. Now, where did I leave "That Total Age"?
(np: Portion Control "Well Come")
Just listened to it about an hour ago, and yeah - I'd have to agree.
Not percussive enough and there wasn't a single track that jumped out
at me. I'll try to listen a few more times (if I can make it through)
and see if it improves.
I just got done listening to it and I think it had too many drones and
not enough hooks. I thought destroy was an allright track. I don't
know that I would spin it in a club unless it was requested though.

If i'm going to listen to somebody whose press regards them as nitzer
ebb like, I think i'd rather go with Spetsnaz.
http://www.spetsnaz.se/

DJ Vort3xxX
Living in an electric state.
Sound Mirror
2004-08-29 07:21:57 UTC
Post by Dj Vort3xxX
If i'm going to listen to somebody whose press regards them as nitzer
ebb like, I think i'd rather go with Spetsnaz.
http://www.spetsnaz.se/
good stuff.. it's a nice change of pace from this futurepop shite, even if
it is a bit retro
Soterro
2004-09-01 13:09:56 UTC
Post by Sound Mirror
good stuff.. it's a nice change of pace from this futurepop shite, even if
it is a bit retro
And there used to be DuPont or Galan Pixs, but also they melted in the
meanwhile to a bummm-bummm-no-idea-just-keep-the-beat-dude thing.

Does anybody know what's JeanLuc de Meyer doing these days? Since C-Tec
I lost contact (and I actually liked Cobalt 60 better)

Crudbreeder
Touring with Front 242?
Soterro
2004-09-02 14:39:57 UTC
Post by Crudbreeder
Touring with Front 242?
Doh. I actually thought he left for good in the 90s (and I never looked
at 242 again). My loss :) Thanks for pointing that out.

Lech
2004-08-29 21:16:18 UTC
... I think i'd rather go with Spetsnaz.
If one can stand their pathetic moniker & a Swedish accent as thick as a fat
man's thigh. They'd be much more effective in their native language, which
is brimming with black, spiky & hard-edged words like 'raettsmaskineri' or
'moerkerbomb'... Yrs, &c. Lech

To mail me, take out the trash.
Crudbreeder
2004-08-30 18:13:27 UTC
Post by Lech
... I think i'd rather go with Spetsnaz.
If one can stand their pathetic moniker & a Swedish accent as thick as a fat
man's thigh. They'd be much more effective in their native language, which
is brimming with black, spiky & hard-edged words like 'raettsmaskineri' or
'moerkerbomb'... Yrs, &c. Lech
Moerkerbomb? That's a new one.

np: Merzbow vs Ladybird - You lift me up
Lech
2004-08-31 05:03:19 UTC
Post by Crudbreeder
Moerkerbomb? That's a new one.
Roj Friberg, 1979. Brilliant artist. Yrs, &c. Lech

np: Depeche Mode, untitled (a.k.a. Cliché or Until You've Sown the Seed)
To mail me, take out the trash.
Lech
2004-08-29 00:55:08 UTC
Post by Hunter
I'd have to agree.
In fact, chaps, there should be some sort of measure prohibiting musical
heroes of yonder from stroking their egos by producing albums together with
their fans. So there. Yrs, &c. Lech

To mail me, take out the trash.
Girl <last name>
2004-08-25 23:15:46 UTC
Post by Hunter
Post by Veni Vidi Exii
I was always more offended by the futurepop newbies. A Nitzer
Ebb RFI would've made my fucking day.
Have you heard Between the Devil by Fixmer & McCarthy
and what did you think of it?
Heh, listen to 'Destroy' and try not to think of Blockbuster by the Sweet (now
that I've planted it in your mind, mwahahaha).

Girl.
Lech
2004-08-26 04:09:10 UTC
Post by Girl <last name>
Heh, listen to 'Destroy' and try not to think of Blockbuster by the Sweet (now
that I've planted it in your mind, mwahahaha).
Pfft. Listen to "Through A Screen" & try not to think of "The Sound of the
Crowd" by the Human League... Yrs, &c. Lech

To mail me, take out the trash.
Hunter
2004-08-31 13:55:52 UTC
Post by Girl <last name>
that I've planted it in your mind, mwahahaha).
Being the Sweet afficinado that I am *winces* I have to admit that it
really does - heheheh... but it's insidious tendrils have been implanted
and it's actually growing on me
Post by Lech
Pfft. Listen to "Through A Screen" & try not to think of "The Sound of the
Crowd" by the Human League... Yrs, &c. Lech
With more than a liberal helping of "Garbageman" by The Cramps - or that could
just be the drugs talking/listening

[np - Das Ich's "Lava" - has anyone heard the rmx CD of this yet?]
Lech
2004-08-31 17:57:42 UTC
Post by Hunter
[np - Das Ich's "Lava" - has anyone heard the rmx CD of this yet?]
Yes. "Asche" 's bit more dancey/trancey than "Glut". Yrs, &c. Lech

[np: Goldfrapp, singles 00 - 04]
To mail me, take out the trash.
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 06:55:23 UTC
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:24:40 -0000, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Veni Vidi Exii
And Tangent: People coming back here to shake a finger and say
"shame, shame!" doesn't really help. You ditched long before
the #rmipeople defectors gave up. So RMI is what you made of
it. If you care, then stay and try to drum up conversation.
Todd and I still read, although I only check occasionally.
And if its no big deal, then join us on IRC or find somewhere
else to chit-chat about stuff.
I never said "shame shame". I'm only making an observation. It's
just kind of sad. I was mostly expecting there to be *more*
posts/posters than when I left, not a staggering lack of them. I
guess it would have been less "traumatic" had I been around the past
four or five years to watch the slow progression, but to suddenly
re-appear, it was quite a shock.

I've been a regular on Undernet #industrial for like the last seven
years and was an Efnet #industrial regular for several years prior.

What channel and server are you guys hanging out at?

If you want to see the #industrial site (I coincidentally run) you can
see it here: http://www.resetbypeer.org/ (it's mainly for statistics
and stuff but I also put up a forum that is mainly ignored). Another
Undernet #i guy, who goes by treaps, runs another one -- that hosts
the #i picture archive, webcam links and so on -- that you can see
here: http://industrial.katester.net/

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Girl <last name>

Girl (veteran of many a flamewar).
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-15 08:28:54 UTC
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:10:41 +0200, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Locke
Most of them grew up, got married, and sold their CD collection on eBay.
I have observed a dwindling interest in industrial and related music styles
(at least in the local scene around here), and I think this lead to a lack
of new people (and discussion topics) in RMI. As a result, more and more
regulars got bored with the endless repetition of the same old threads and
left. Flashy web forums contributed to the problem as well.
Good points. I suppose a lot of people (myself included) got bored
with industrial (don't get me wrong, I still love the old standbys,
but I haven't searched for/heard any good, new industrial since around
'99).

Btw, it's great to see you're still here, Locke. I don't know if you
remember me, but I distinctly remember you (and quite a few others,
which sadly seem MIA). Hope you're doing good. :)

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Locke
2004-08-15 15:21:45 UTC
Please let me quote Mr. Tangent...
|Btw, it's great to see you're still here, Locke. I don't know if you
|remember me, but I distinctly remember you (and quite a few others,
|which sadly seem MIA). Hope you're doing good. :)

Of course I remember you. I bet so does everybody else who has been
around at the time. It made me kinda sad seeing you selling (parts of)
your Atom Heart collection since I remember you being the definite
authority on all things Uwe Schmidt. Don't know if I'm doing good but
heaven forbid that I'm forced to sell the central parts of my music
collection. But all the best to you, Mister Tangent!

CU,
Locke

NP: Esbjörn Svensson Trio "Good Morning Susie Soho"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
| | / \ / _/| |/ /| _| / @ @ \
| |__| || || |_ | \ | _| (| \ |)
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
.
Drew
2004-08-15 16:46:00 UTC
Post by Locke
Of course I remember you. I bet so does everybody else who has been
around at the time. It made me kinda sad seeing you selling (parts of)
your Atom Heart collection since I remember you being the definite
authority on all things Uwe Schmidt. Don't know if I'm doing good but
heaven forbid that I'm forced to sell the central parts of my music
collection. But all the best to you, Mister Tangent!
My feelings exactly... I remember Mr. T regaling us with tales about
how he sold his blood plasma to buy those things!

Regards,
Drew

np - fennesz - Venice
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 07:12:09 UTC
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:46:00 GMT, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Drew
My feelings exactly... I remember Mr. T regaling us with tales about
how he sold his blood plasma to buy those things!
Wow, you have an excellent memory. And yeah, it's true that I used to
give plasma several times a week to buy CDs (this was at the depths of
my depravity). Dropping off the RMI scene and off the "scene" really
helped cure my CD habit. I still buy CDs but nowhere near what I used
to. I guess I just haven't been that inspired by what I hear now.

Take care. :)

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 07:09:37 UTC
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:21:45 +0200, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Locke
Of course I remember you. I bet so does everybody else who has been
around at the time. It made me kinda sad seeing you selling (parts of)
your Atom Heart collection since I remember you being the definite
authority on all things Uwe Schmidt. Don't know if I'm doing good but
heaven forbid that I'm forced to sell the central parts of my music
collection. But all the best to you, Mister Tangent!
Hello again, Locke! It is sad that I'm selling my Atom Heart
collection but a few things necessitated it. 1. I need cashola and 2.
I bought a "new" synthesizer (Waldorf XTk). I am also striving to get
closer to zero material possessions.

As I told some others in #industrial last night, the quote, "the
things you own end up owning you." from Palahniuk's Fight Club really
resonated with me. While it's basically impossible for me to get
truly down to zero I'm going to try as best I can.

I can make a lot of headway by digitizing my CD collection (wavering
currently on if I want to use a lossless codec or 160kbps+ AAC... for
use on my Mac/PC and iPod) and selling a majority of it. I'll still
have the music and supported the artists, but I'll have the physical
CDs out of my way. I've been going through a lot of my belongings
lately and systematically throwing anything away that doesn't have
obvious purpose. Things that simply collect dust are the first to
have been thrown away. It's all needless weight that is dragging me
down...

But I digress.

I still love Atom Heart, although I'm not as rabid as I once was. But
fear not, I'm still quite a fan of all things Uwe Schmidt. :)

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Veni Vidi Exii
2004-08-21 22:59:39 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
I bought a "new" synthesizer (Waldorf
XTk). I am also striving to get closer to zero material
possessions.
This is quite possibly the funniest combination of statements
I've ever seen.

Mr. Tangent
2004-08-22 01:59:08 UTC
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:59:39 -0000, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Veni Vidi Exii
Post by Mr. Tangent
I bought a "new" synthesizer (Waldorf
XTk). I am also striving to get closer to zero material
possessions.
This is quite possibly the funniest combination of statements
I've ever seen.
Yeah, I was quite aware of the delicious irony when writing it...

I'm glad I amused you though.

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Diane Benham
2004-08-17 02:59:13 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
Good points. I suppose a lot of people (myself included) got bored
with industrial (don't get me wrong, I still love the old standbys,
but I haven't searched for/heard any good, new industrial since around
'99).
Glad it isn't just me. I was talking about music with some co-workers, and I
realized my three favorite bands were either 20+ years old (Einsturzende
Neubauten, Skinny Puppy) or dead (The Birthday Party, which isn't
industrial, but you get my drift).

I blame Clear Channel and eMpTV for the homogenization of music.

I used to be a semi-regular, but then I graduated and didn't have time to
wade through the crap/flame wars.
Keef
2004-08-17 07:59:51 UTC
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 02:59:13 GMT, "Diane Benham"
Post by Diane Benham
Glad it isn't just me. I was talking about music with some co-workers, and I
realized my three favorite bands were either 20+ years old (Einsturzende
Neubauten, Skinny Puppy) or dead (The Birthday Party, which isn't
industrial, but you get my drift).
There's good stuff out there but these days the most popular forms of
what is percieved as industrial is eiter a) Trancey goth or b) the 4
on the floor powernoise.

To be honest neither of which are very inspiring.

For me it's the likes of Sigur Ros, Shadowhuntaz, Gridlock, VSnares,
Supersilent et al which inspire me, but I'm not sure any of the above
could be considered industrial.
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
Don Muerte
2004-08-17 07:38:10 UTC
Post by Keef
For me it's the likes of Sigur Ros, Shadowhuntaz, Gridlock, VSnares,
Supersilent et al which inspire me, but I'm not sure any of the above
could be considered industrial.
VSnares is as uninspired as all the rest of the industrial bands. That's not
to say I don't like his music, though. It's certainly not anymore amazing
than the power noise movement when it came stampeding through. I'd wager
Somatic Responses is a much more talented band than VSnares, but that's my
opinion, of course.
--
Don Muerte
http://www.ls-ttl.com

---
Keef
2004-08-17 18:32:37 UTC
Post by Don Muerte
Post by Keef
For me it's the likes of Sigur Ros, Shadowhuntaz, Gridlock, VSnares,
Supersilent et al which inspire me, but I'm not sure any of the above
could be considered industrial.
VSnares is as uninspired as all the rest of the industrial bands. That's not
to say I don't like his music, though. It's certainly not anymore amazing
than the power noise movement when it came stampeding through. I'd wager
Somatic Responses is a much more talented band than VSnares, but that's my
opinion, of course.
I'd agree with that to be honest. Forgot about Somatics when I was
typing that.
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
ABZ
2004-08-16 12:12:21 UTC
Post by Locke
Post by Mr. Tangent
Where did everyone go?
Most of them grew up, got married, and sold their CD collection on eBay.
No that thread again...

This years Mera Luna festival in Germany counted 25.000 people, and
that was the most people in 5 years (and crappy sound).
The local Industrial Club I'm frequenting, is packing the same crowd
as it did 7 years ago. So it's probably not the amount of people in
the genre that's declining.
And I've seen local industrial message boards with ten times the
message flow.

Maybe it's something with RMI? Maybe? :-)

Just a stab in the dark.
Locke
2004-08-16 14:12:19 UTC
Please let me quote ABZ...
|This years Mera Luna festival in Germany counted 25.000 people, and
|that was the most people in 5 years (and crappy sound).

Mera Luna? This is the goth festival that evolved out of the Zillo
festival, right? Well, we're not discussing the sorry state of alt.goth
in this thread, but I've noticed a certain decline of gothic events
around here as well, albeit not as bad as the decline of industrial
shows.

|The local Industrial Club I'm frequenting, is packing the same crowd
|as it did 7 years ago. So it's probably not the amount of people in
|the genre that's declining.

Maybe you live in a favored region because around here it definitely
has. Five or ten years ago we had many industrial related concerts at
our local club, like several specialized Ant-Zen/Hands shows or mini
festivals a year for instance, in the last year however there was none
(well, maybe a futurepoop/EBM event or two and a few crappy club nights,
but that's it). Some bigger events (like Maschinenfest) have survived,
but when these bands just play there and don't tour anymore, that's a
serious decline in the total number of events.

CU,
Locke

NP: Einstürzende Neubauten "Supporter Album #1"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
| | / \ / _/| |/ /| _| / @ @ \
| |__| || || |_ | \ | _| (| \ |)
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
.
Ventolin
2004-08-16 17:42:15 UTC
Locke wrote in message ...
Post by Locke
NP: Einstürzende Neubauten "Supporter Album #1"
I'm curious- if you've heard it, what is your opinion of the
"Commissioned Music" album by Blixa Bargeld? I hadn't heard about it but I
saw it used in a store and, for some reason, didn't immediately decide to
pick it up because I'm curious what it would be like if it is
"commissioned". Something a bit more straightforward a la Coil's "Music for
Commercials", maybe? Then again, that's how I would describe Perpetuum
Mobile, though I enjoy it.
Locke
2004-08-16 20:02:19 UTC
Please let me quote Ventolin...
| I'm curious- if you've heard it, what is your opinion of the
|"Commissioned Music" album by Blixa Bargeld? I hadn't heard about it but I
|saw it used in a store and, for some reason, didn't immediately decide to
|pick it up because I'm curious what it would be like if it is
|"commissioned". Something a bit more straightforward a la Coil's "Music for
|Commercials", maybe? Then again, that's how I would describe Perpetuum
|Mobile, though I enjoy it.

Straightforward? Well, not really. The sound is fairly experimental,
very much like one would expect from a Neubauten member, but I think the
album is missing a little bit development on the compositional side.
Most of the tracks don't really get anywhere. They may have worked as
soundtracks like they originally were thought up, but as a standalone
album it lacks focus.

CU,
Locke

NP: Blixa Bargeld "Comissioned Music"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
| | / \ / _/| |/ /| _| / @ @ \
| |__| || || |_ | \ | _| (| \ |)
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
.
ABZ
2004-08-17 16:49:53 UTC
Post by Locke
Post by ABZ
This years Mera Luna festival in Germany counted 25.000 people, and
Mera Luna? This is the goth festival that evolved out of the Zillo
festival, right?
Eh, I noticed the following bands played while I was raving around in
my alcohlic state:
Soman
Wolfsheim
Rotersand
Decoded Feedback
Icon Of Coil
Welle:Erdball
In Strict Confidence
Fixmer/McCarthy
Funker Vogt
Suicide Commando
De/Vision
Covenant
Anne Clark

Some of the above bands would probably oppose to take on the label
"goth", just because they played at the Mera Luna festival.
And I have'nt even started with Wave Gotik Treffen yet, they had one
hell of a harsch set in Haus Auensee :-)

BTW: Anne Clarke played one of the best concerts at the festival.
Energetic as hell.
Post by Locke
Some bigger events (like Maschinenfest) have survived,
but when these bands just play there and don't tour anymore, that's a
serious decline in the total number of events.
Ah, come on. I'm at the Maschinenfest too, and some of the bands are
playing in my city, while I'm travelling to Maschinenfest.
It has also been sold out for as long as i can remember.
And there's not a hotel in Krefeld with a vacant room.

We do also see a fair number of newcomers, allthough they seem to
start out as "goths" and then discover that the music is a bit more
diverse in the "industrial" camp, heh...
I know Nicholas can back me up on that... :-]
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 07:17:14 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:12:19 +0200, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Locke
Maybe you live in a favored region because around here it definitely
has. Five or ten years ago we had many industrial related concerts at
our local club, like several specialized Ant-Zen/Hands shows or mini
festivals a year for instance, in the last year however there was none
(well, maybe a futurepoop/EBM event or two and a few crappy club nights,
but that's it). Some bigger events (like Maschinenfest) have survived,
but when these bands just play there and don't tour anymore, that's a
serious decline in the total number of events.
I'm wondering if IDM/glitch and other styles killed industrial? When
I listen to a lot of industrial, at least the
post-industrial/electro-industrial stuff, it's almost painful to
listen to (by how repetitive/uninspired it sounds to me now [Front
242/NIN/Skinny Puppy/Klinik and a few other bands not included]). I
remember when everyone was checking out the IDM scene in the late
90s... could be that there was a paradigm shift amongst listeners of
industrial? Just pulling shit out of my hat...

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Locke
2004-08-23 11:39:04 UTC
Please let me quote Mr. Tangent...
|I'm wondering if IDM/glitch and other styles killed industrial? When
|I listen to a lot of industrial, at least the
|post-industrial/electro-industrial stuff, it's almost painful to
|listen to (by how repetitive/uninspired it sounds to me now [Front
|242/NIN/Skinny Puppy/Klinik and a few other bands not included]). I
|remember when everyone was checking out the IDM scene in the late
|90s... could be that there was a paradigm shift amongst listeners of
|industrial? Just pulling shit out of my hat...

Well, maybe the advent of IDM contributed to the downfall of industrial
and the post-industrial genres a little bit but not as the main factor.
At the moment IDM itself seems to be a dying genre, it's just a few
years behind. The popularity peak is already over, the styles are
diversifying (just like the post-industrial genres did back then), and
soon it will be a nice memory relegated to the history of music. Watch
out!

CU,
Locke

NP: Sonic Youth "Daydream Nation"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
Dayv!
2004-08-17 13:32:03 UTC
Post by Locke

|Where did everyone go?
Most of them grew up, got married, and sold their CD collection on eBay.
I like to think I haven't grown up *too much*, I did get married,
and I sold chunks of my music collection at local stores rather than
on eBay. Where I say "I sold chunks of my music collection," I can
clarify that a bit by pointing out that I now own far more discs by
Einstuertzende Neubauten than I did when I was posting here regularly,
still have all the Lustmord and Coil releases I've ever owned, and no
longer have a single thing by VNV Nation or Decoded Feedback on the
shelves. Front 242 is still around (but gets played infrequently),
Project Pitchfork is nowhere to be seen.
Post by Locke
As a result, more and more regulars got bored with the endless repetition of
the same old threads and left.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! For the last several months of
my daily presence here, I was reading and replying more out of habit
than any real enjoyment and satisfaction with my rmi experience. When
my newsreader shit the bed and I had problems getting it upgraded or
replaced, I realised that it just wasn't worth the effort to me. Now
I only look at rmi at all when someone brings my attention to it,
e.g.:

<DJTodd> You've been mentioned a few times on RMI this week

Yeah, that'll bring me in. It's entirely possible that I still
have a gigantic motherfucking ego.

Todd Clayton
2004-08-17 14:15:27 UTC
Post by Dayv!
longer have a single thing by VNV Nation or Decoded Feedback on the
shelves. Front 242 is still around (but gets played infrequently),
Project Pitchfork is nowhere to be seen.
Well, since none of those bands have done a thing worth listening to
since you buggered off, you're not missing anything.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 07:24:40 UTC
On 17 Aug 2004 06:32:03 -0700, with raygun in hand the aliens forced
When my newsreader shit the bed and I had problems getting it upgraded
or replaced, I realised that it just wasn't worth the effort to me. Now
I only look at rmi at all when someone brings my attention to it,
Want to know something funny? I'm STILL using the exact same version
of Free Agent (version 1.5) that I've used since '96! I haven't even
upgraded it. I've owned four PCs since that time and kept copying it
on to the new computer. I switched to Macs (OS X is ace) back in 2001
and Free Agent is the one program I miss the most.

In fact, Free Agent is one of the few reasons I still keep my PC
around (and what I'm using to post with right now). I even wrote the
makers of Agent and told them that if they ported it to the Mac that
I'd gladly buy a copy. This program is just perfect. It's *painful*
to post with anything else. I remember having to read/post with Deja
News (and later Google) a few times and I wanted to gouge my eyes out.

Long live Forté and Usenet!

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Todd Clayton
2004-08-15 10:04:56 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
Perhaps it's true that usenet is dead. I remember posting to RMI in
the mid-to-late 90s and there were 100-150 posts per day on average
and now it seems that there's not even 5 a day? Did web forums,
livejournal and so on kill usenet? Has this been going on in other
usenet newsgroups over the past few years?
Hey, you abandonded us, when? 2000? Earlier? Ask yourself why this NG is
dead.

This place started to go into it's serious death throes in 2001. People
have moved on and can't be bothered to even install a newsreader anymore
(See: Bitch, Dayv).
Post by Mr. Tangent
Where did everyone go?
Livejournal, Electrogarden, and IRC.

It's been almost 10 years, and I'm still here. I'LL BE THE LAST ONE
STANDING!
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Keef
2004-08-15 19:05:55 UTC
I'll be here too!!@!@!@
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
DeeDeeTee
2004-08-15 19:44:19 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
Where did everyone go?
Livejournal, Electrogarden, and IRC.
It's been almost 10 years, and I'm still here. I'LL BE THE LAST ONE
STANDING!
Man, oh man, this thread is really bumming my flow. I guess I've been
living in a rose-colored bubble, because I had no idea that things had
really slowed down here and that things like LiveJournal and message
boards were killing it. very depressing.

All I can say is, I've been coming here ever since the pre-internet
days, getting in through the old Cyberden BBS. So it's been about 12
years or so now for me. So I'll be standing right there along side ya
Todd, even though I don't frequent as much as I used to. I do still
very much love the music and the scene, really like a lot of the new
stuff and new bands, haven't felt the need to wax nostalgia with all
of my old Wax Trax or SP stuff in years. I couldn't recite "Stigmata"
if my life depended on it now.

I'm kind of feeling bad as well because, in the early days, when I was
young, drugged up and cocky with my 3 record deal on Cleo, I got in
here and behaved like a bit of an ass from time to time, though I
don't think I ever really flamed anybody and I am still bear a bit of
perverse pride about the whole amazing-band-from-germany that never
existed threads I spawned, when I would come in here posing as a
member of a german band called Meinschlagen named Otto Dik. C'mon,
that's funny! Even though the Cyberden master didn't :(

And it seems a bit silly to me that people would be taken by flashy
message boards. You don't even need a newsreader to get in here to
post. I've been using the Google stuff for some time now, and it
works great.

I realize how you all feel about him, but I think Tommy T said it best
in a mail he sent me this morning. Without quoting specifics, he said
something to the effect of, "you know, the kids are just getting into
other media, music and techologies, and leaving us all behind..."
Thankfully, my son collects vinyl now and pretty much shuns all things
new, shiny and flashy, so there is hope.

Keep the faith, my brethren. I'm going to go drop a shameless plug
about some new stuff I've been working on now :)

D Madden
Penal Colony
www.thepenalcolony.com
***@thepenalcolony.com
Todd Clayton
2004-08-15 23:17:30 UTC
Post by DeeDeeTee
All I can say is, I've been coming here ever since the pre-internet
days, getting in through the old Cyberden BBS. So it's been about 12
Oh Jebus. Not that can of worms again.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Don Muerte
2004-08-16 04:05:54 UTC
Post by DeeDeeTee
And it seems a bit silly to me that people would be taken by flashy
message boards. You don't even need a newsreader to get in here to
post. I've been using the Google stuff for some time now, and it
works great.
Now that you mention that, I remember how I kicked the RMI habit several
years back. Skip through the personal bullshit and cut to the chase if you
want. I'll mark the filler for you:
<personal BS>
I was fairly active here, did my share of flaming and what not. I got my
share of info about industrial history, new bands, etc. and even got around
to setting up my own radio show at the college I was attending. After maybe
a year of doing that show and loosely supporting the scene (I played a lot
of power noise, and IDM back in those days) I suddenly broke up with my
girlfriend at the time and decided that dropping out was a good idea. I
abandoned the show, moved to a different town and got caught up in parties
and just random irresponsible shit.
</personal BS>
After leaving school I relied heavily on Deja News to post and read, but
suddenly Google bought them and left us all without a free medium for
posting. I got too impatient with their beta development process and just
stopped coming alltogether. Since then, I moved to Los Angeles, went through
3 corporate jobs, got married, and moved to San Francisco to run my own
business. It wasn't until recently that I felt like I actually had some
spare time to contribute to this place.
Post by DeeDeeTee
I realize how you all feel about him, but I think Tommy T said it best
in a mail he sent me this morning. Without quoting specifics, he said
something to the effect of, "you know, the kids are just getting into
other media, music and techologies, and leaving us all behind..."
Thankfully, my son collects vinyl now and pretty much shuns all things
new, shiny and flashy, so there is hope.
I was just speaking to some guy from Russia the other day who was asking for
industrial mp3s. I curiously asked him the honest question: "what was the
last CD you bought?" He answers, "I have never bought a CD in my life." I
say, "...and you're 14 years old?" He says, "25". Apparently he doesn't
"believe" in CDs and that his money goes to corporate assholes and he's just
too lazy to "walk" to the store to buy a "bulky, impractical hunk of junk."
I never thought it to be true, but the new kids are apparently too lazy to
even go into a record store.
--
Don Muerte
http://www.ls-ttl.com

---
DB >
2004-08-17 14:59:22 UTC
[delurking...]
Post by Don Muerte
I was just speaking to some guy from Russia the other day who was asking
for industrial mp3s. I curiously asked him the honest question: "what was
the last CD you bought?" He answers, "I have never bought a CD in my
life." I say, "...and you're 14 years old?" He says, "25". Apparently he
doesn't "believe" in CDs and that his money goes to corporate assholes and
he's just too lazy to "walk" to the store to buy a "bulky, impractical
hunk of junk." I never thought it to be true, but the new kids are
apparently too lazy to even go into a record store.
Do you have any idea what the normal salary range is in Russia is for let's
say a teacher? It's around 150-200 dollars a month.

Would you be willing to shell out 1/10th of your salary on 60 minutes of
music?
Veni Vidi Exii
2004-08-17 18:17:48 UTC
Post by DB >
Would you be willing to shell out 1/10th of your salary on
60 minutes of music?
CDs in Russia don't cost as much as other places due to
rampant bootlegging. Anyone who retails in Russia does so at
a near loss because they can't retail for more than the
bootlegged versions.

And yes, I regularly shell out 1/100th of my monthly income
for 60 minutes of music.

Don Muerte
2004-08-17 19:56:06 UTC
Post by DB >
[delurking...]
Do you have any idea what the normal salary range is in Russia is for let's
say a teacher? It's around 150-200 dollars a month.
Would you be willing to shell out 1/10th of your salary on 60 minutes of
music?
Yeah, I guess that's pretty steep. Rack up a point for capitalism!
--
Don Muerte
http://www.ls-ttl.com

---
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 07:50:06 UTC
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:05:54 -0700, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Don Muerte
After leaving school I relied heavily on Deja News to post and read, but
suddenly Google bought them and left us all without a free medium for
posting. I got too impatient with their beta development process and just
stopped coming alltogether. Since then, I moved to Los Angeles, went through
3 corporate jobs, got married, and moved to San Francisco to run my own
business. It wasn't until recently that I felt like I actually had some
spare time to contribute to this place.
Yeah, but you forgot to mention that we #i IRCers still had to deal
with you. :P
Post by Don Muerte
I was just speaking to some guy from Russia the other day who was asking for
industrial mp3s. I curiously asked him the honest question: "what was the
last CD you bought?" He answers, "I have never bought a CD in my life." I
say, "...and you're 14 years old?" He says, "25". Apparently he doesn't
"believe" in CDs and that his money goes to corporate assholes and he's just
too lazy to "walk" to the store to buy a "bulky, impractical hunk of junk."
I never thought it to be true, but the new kids are apparently too lazy to
even go into a record store.
That's just sad. You know what my opinion on music piracy is, and
that's the type of shit that irks the hell out of me.

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Don Muerte
2004-08-20 11:50:47 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
Yeah, but you forgot to mention that we #i IRCers still had to deal
with you. :P
That's not completely true. If you look closely at the backlogs you
obsessively doctored for the resetbypeer stats, I was only partially around
for the last 4 or 5 years.
--
Don Muerte
http://www.ls-ttl.com

---
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 16:44:58 UTC
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:50:47 -0700, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Don Muerte
That's not completely true. If you look closely at the backlogs you
obsessively doctored for the resetbypeer stats, I was only partially around
for the last 4 or 5 years.
Joke, Don Muerte. Joke. :P

"Doctored"? I haven't edited a thing for the statistics. If you mean
cleaned up (i.e. transferred things from their original MIRC format to
Eggdrop format), then yeah.

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 07:47:44 UTC
On 15 Aug 2004 12:44:19 -0700, with raygun in hand the aliens forced
Post by DeeDeeTee
I realize how you all feel about him, but I think Tommy T said it best
in a mail he sent me this morning. Without quoting specifics, he said
something to the effect of, "you know, the kids are just getting into
other media, music and techologies, and leaving us all behind..."
Thankfully, my son collects vinyl now and pretty much shuns all things
new, shiny and flashy, so there is hope.
Keep the faith, my brethren. I'm going to go drop a shameless plug
about some new stuff I've been working on now :)
Great post. I'll be checking out your website shortly. :)

You have a son that's old enough to buy vinyl?? How old is he and
yourself? You must be an old fucker. I'll be 32 in one month so who
am I to talk? :P

PS: Is Cleopatra still around?

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Soterro
2004-09-01 14:31:13 UTC
Post by DeeDeeTee
D Madden
Penal Colony
<fanmail>
!!!!!
I loved that Multicoloured shades, gotta dust it off my shelf and give
it a spin again. Nearly forgotten...
Cheers :)
</fanmail>
Francois Labreque
2004-08-17 13:21:10 UTC
Program ended abnormally on 15/08/2004 06:04, Due to a catastrophic Todd Clayton
Post by Todd Clayton
This place started to go into it's serious death throes in 2001.
Obligatory grammar-nazi remark: its.
Post by Todd Clayton
It's been almost 10 years, and I'm still here. I'LL BE THE LAST ONE
STANDING!
Nuh-uh!

np: Women's beach volleyball
--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never
videotron.ca | - Calvin
Todd Clayton
2004-08-17 14:09:29 UTC
Post by Francois Labreque
Post by Todd Clayton
It's been almost 10 years, and I'm still here. I'LL BE THE LAST ONE
STANDING!
Nuh-uh!
I SHALL PREVAIL!
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Dayv!
2004-08-17 15:51:56 UTC
Post by Todd Clayton
It's been almost 10 years, and I'm still here. I'LL BE THE LAST ONE
STANDING!
Nobody wants to hear about your priapism, Todd.

np: Machine Drum- Urban Biology

Dayv!

Locke
2004-08-17 18:31:17 UTC
Please let me quote Todd Clayton...
|It's been almost 10 years, and I'm still here. I'LL BE THE LAST ONE
|STANDING!

Sorry, Todd ... no way.

The last one standing will be Grufti - DJ Richard posting ads for the
Underworld CD stall closing sale, long after you and me and everybody
else has left this place.

CU,
Locke

NP: Radiohead "Amnesiac"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
| | / \ / _/| |/ /| _| / @ @ \
| |__| || || |_ | \ | _| (| \ |)
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
.
Todd Clayton
2004-08-17 23:11:56 UTC
Post by Locke
Sorry, Todd ... no way.
The last one standing will be Grufti - DJ Richard posting ads for the
Underworld CD stall closing sale, long after you and me and everybody
else has left this place.
Someone get Locke a beer. He just earned it.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Keef
2004-08-18 07:53:02 UTC
Post by Todd Clayton
Post by Locke
Sorry, Todd ... no way.
The last one standing will be Grufti - DJ Richard posting ads for the
Underworld CD stall closing sale, long after you and me and everybody
else has left this place.
Someone get Locke a beer. He just earned it.
Yes, I think he did!
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 07:28:04 UTC
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:04:56 GMT, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Todd Clayton
Hey, you abandonded us, when? 2000? Earlier? Ask yourself why this NG is
dead.
Heh... so it's MY fault now? :P
Post by Mr. Tangent
Where did everyone go?
Livejournal, Electrogarden, and IRC.
It's been almost 10 years, and I'm still here. I'LL BE THE LAST ONE
STANDING!
What's electrogarden? It's hard to believe that IRC had a role to
play in the death of RMI since I was using IRC and Usenet
simultaneously, even in my "heyday" back in the mid-to-late 90s. What
Livejournal communities is everyone hanging out in then?

PS: Good to see you're still around and doing your radio show, Todd.
:) Seeing all these familiar names is oddly comforting. :\

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Todd Clayton
2004-08-21 14:16:39 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
Heh... so it's MY fault now? :P
Yes. I hold you fully responsible. If you hadn't chased away all those
people posting binaries...
Post by Mr. Tangent
What's electrogarden? It's hard to believe that IRC had a role to
play in the death of RMI since I was using IRC and Usenet
simultaneously, even in my "heyday" back in the mid-to-late 90s. What
Livejournal communities is everyone hanging out in then?
Electrogarden is a now defunct web forum. As for IRC, a core group of
regulars, the "A-Team" (Dayv, Myself, Exii, Francois, Leohkitty, Lars
Casteen, Dr Trevorkian, and a few others) started hanging out in our own
chan, and our participation here dropped bigtime.
Post by Mr. Tangent
PS: Good to see you're still around and doing your radio show, Todd.
:) Seeing all these familiar names is oddly comforting. :\
Come here. Let me... comfort you.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-22 02:01:15 UTC
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:16:39 GMT, with raygun in hand the aliens
Post by Todd Clayton
Yes. I hold you fully responsible. If you hadn't chased away all those
people posting binaries...
Indeed. I should have made a new sheriff before I left to keep the
town clean from vermin.
Post by Todd Clayton
Electrogarden is a now defunct web forum. As for IRC, a core group of
regulars, the "A-Team" (Dayv, Myself, Exii, Francois, Leohkitty, Lars
Casteen, Dr Trevorkian, and a few others) started hanging out in our own
chan, and our participation here dropped bigtime.
How long was electrogarden up? What was the URL? Was it a phpBB
forum?
Post by Todd Clayton
Post by Mr. Tangent
PS: Good to see you're still around and doing your radio show, Todd.
:) Seeing all these familiar names is oddly comforting. :\
Come here. Let me... comfort you.
Not THAT kind of comfort. You pervert. I'm telling the authorities.

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Todd Clayton
2004-08-22 14:39:07 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
How long was electrogarden up? What was the URL? Was it a phpBB
forum?
I can't remember. I only visited it like once or twice.
Post by Mr. Tangent
Not THAT kind of comfort. You pervert. I'm telling the authorities.
Damn those pesky bestiality laws.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Armitage-VI
2004-08-16 14:50:26 UTC
I remember Mr Tangent!!!!!!,

I use to post on the RMI like 10 times a day back in 1997 to
2002, but after that my taste changed a bit and I got away from the
typical "Industrial" and more into IDM, and Ambient stuff. I still
lurk here once in a while and will chime in, if the subject interest
me.

For me I always like convering with the the industrial
musicians, and since I've discovered DarkSonus.com, that became my cup
of tea. So I wouldn't say this forum is dead ,but maybe it's just a
chagning of the guard and new peeps are posting. Speaking of RMI'ers
from back in the day what ever happened to Dayv!? He man had some
razor sharp responses to everything...

Regards,
David
NP: Boards of Canada- "Music has the right to Children"
www.thelastwebsiteonearth.com
Where did everyone go?
Veni Vidi Exii
2004-08-16 19:26:09 UTC
Speaking of RMI'ers from back in the day what
ever happened to Dayv!? He man had some razor sharp
As per Todd's previous statement, Dayv! can't be bothered to
download a Usenet client anymore. He hangs out on IRC with the
rmipeople group.

Dayv!
2004-08-17 13:42:34 UTC
Speaking of RMI'ers from back in the day what ever happened to Dayv!? He man
had some razor sharp responses to everything...
I'm a lot less "razor sharp" these days. Mostly. The angst level
is lower, and I'm trying to follow the examples of Buddhism and some
forms of pacifism by loving all. Then again, I still call the ones I
love bitches, there's just more of you now... bitch.

Don Muerte
2004-08-17 19:44:44 UTC
Post by Dayv!
Speaking of RMI'ers from back in the day what ever happened to Dayv!? He man
had some razor sharp responses to everything...
I'm a lot less "razor sharp" these days. Mostly. The angst level
is lower, and I'm trying to follow the examples of Buddhism and some
forms of pacifism by loving all. Then again, I still call the ones I
love bitches, there's just more of you now... bitch.
That reminds me! I asked in #rmipeople the other day if anyone remembered
the bitch board (bitch forum) that someone started and tried finding it
again via Google. No luck. Were you a part of that little adventure Dayv? I
vaguely remember maybe you and Zach Forbes being a part of the bitch-fest.
--
Don Muerte
http://www.ls-ttl.com

---
Dayv!

Todd Clayton
2004-08-17 14:11:13 UTC
Post by Dayv!
I'm a lot less "razor sharp" these days. Mostly. The angst level
is lower, and I'm trying to follow the examples of Buddhism and some
forms of pacifism by loving all. Then again, I still call the ones I
love bitches, there's just more of you now... bitch.
Nice double post there assface.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Dayv!
2004-08-17 18:30:55 UTC
Post by Todd Clayton
Nice double post there assface.
Well, I guess that means that the server error I got from google
meant that it had received my post but couldn't display the page to
confirm it. I might scare you with this bizarre opinion, but Google
is a really crappy substitute for a real newsreader.
Now, go eat a bag of dick, you infant-fondling uniform fetishist.

np: Wire- Coatings

Todd Clayton
2004-08-17 23:13:45 UTC
Post by Dayv!
Well, I guess that means that the server error I got from google
meant that it had received my post but couldn't display the page to
confirm it. I might scare you with this bizarre opinion, but Google
is a really crappy substitute for a real newsreader.
You did it again today, cock holster.
Post by Dayv!
Now, go eat a bag of dick, you infant-fondling uniform fetishist.
Mmm... Bag Of Dick.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Dayv!
2004-08-18 12:16:03 UTC
Post by Todd Clayton
Post by Dayv!
Well, I guess that means that the server error I got from google
meant that it had received my post but couldn't display the page to
confirm it. I might scare you with this bizarre opinion, but Google
is a really crappy substitute for a real newsreader.
You did it again today, cock holster.
Die in shrieking agony, horselover.

np: Jack Dangers- Forbidden Planet Explored

Todd Clayton
2004-08-18 15:21:07 UTC
Post by Dayv!
Post by Todd Clayton
You did it again today, cock holster.
Die in shrieking agony, horselover.
Talking to you *is* agony, donut puncher.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
never owned a cat.
Mr. Tangent
2004-08-20 07:56:27 UTC
On 16 Aug 2004 07:50:26 -0700, with raygun in hand the aliens forced
Post by Armitage-VI
I remember Mr Tangent!!!!!!,
I use to post on the RMI like 10 times a day back in 1997 to
2002, but after that my taste changed a bit and I got away from the
typical "Industrial" and more into IDM, and Ambient stuff. I still
lurk here once in a while and will chime in, if the subject interest
me.
Hey there (remember you, too, btw). Yeah, I think we've all come to
the conclusion that a lot of tastes shifted. I know personally mine
did quite a bit. I listen to mostly stuff like Tom Waits or the
Pixies (or new wave) these days. I'm in a huge music funk though...
not that the aforementioned are bad, though. They're fucking
phenomenal.

I still listen to Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten, Coil, SPK,
etc. but just not as often (although I did drive two states, and over
40 hours total to see Skinny Puppy in Denver last month).

I'm listening to A Perfect Circle right now... I guess all my
industrial cred is shot. :P

Wombat Discord-1, 128649
Armitage-VI
2004-09-03 18:28:16 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
I'm listening to A Perfect Circle right now... I guess all my
industrial cred is shot. :P
Tangent, No way man!. I think a couple of years ago we were all
just really consumed by this type of music, and sometimes you just get
into more and more, Like I had no interest in any other type of music,
and these days I've actually gotten into Tool, APC, NIN, Radiohead,
although those are probably the only rock bands I listen to, I'm still
into Industrial like the new Puppy record, and Both I,parasite's "On
This Cold Floor" and Android Lust's "The Dividing" are amazing recent
releases. they are a bit more of a mature approach to "industrial"

Getting married, buying a house, and settling down, I mean
all your perspectives change, Life isn't about huddling in your dark
hole lurking on the RMI at 3:00 in morning anymore.. Another thing is
that all the people who were really down with the music (not the scene
but the actual music) have moved on to IDM and Ambient stuff, I mean
Boards of Canada is more appealing to our generation of people than
say VNV Nation.

Lastly alot of the stuff we listened to was so "obvious" that
it's hard to still get into. For example, stuff like "Wumpscut" did we
REALLY take that stuff seriously? I listen to it now with all the
cheeset Aliens samples, and dar kimagery and I think, well this is
goofy. Haujobb are still one of my Favorites and I always felt that
they had a more mature approach than anything obvious and goofy.
Borg166
2004-09-06 01:44:44 UTC
I listen to Nelly Furtado now.
Lech
2004-09-06 03:50:53 UTC
Post by Borg166
I listen to Nelly Furtado now.
"He's assimilated, Jim!"

"Oh, bother," said the Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh..."
Per
2004-09-09 17:48:18 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
Perhaps it's true that usenet is dead. I remember posting to RMI in
the mid-to-late 90s and there were 100-150 posts per day on average
and now it seems that there's not even 5 a day? Did web forums,
livejournal and so on kill usenet? Has this been going on in other
usenet newsgroups over the past few years?
I haven't read/posted on RMI or the other newsgroups I used to
frequent in over four years but it's really sad to see how utterly
dead they are now. I'm sure that the mp3/movie/binary newsgroups are
doing a lot of "business" but what became of the text-based ones like
this one?
Where did everyone go?
Don't have the time anymore.
--
Per - perATmeowDOTorg

mhm 24x23 icq: 6047688
Ray Parker Jr.
2004-09-22 05:34:35 UTC
Post by Mr. Tangent
Perhaps it's true that usenet is dead. I remember posting to RMI in
the mid-to-late 90s and there
it's sad.

i'm sitting here at 1:30am listening to mentallo & the fixer intently for the
first time in a long while, deciding to read rmi on a whim, and noticing that
there's nary a trace of the life that existed here back in, say, 97.

it, as all else, is depressing.

of course, i imagine there's not much of note going on in the "scene" these
days, but gee, wouldn't it be fun to pretend for old time's sake?

yours,

eric
Lech
2004-09-22 18:24:10 UTC
... i imagine there's not much of note going on [...] these days...
The latest from Laibach, Einstuerzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy & Portion
Control are all good albums. Front 242's latest isn't bad either -- once
you replace the MorF wankings with cuts from "Still & Raw". Even "7rain"
turns out to be an alright track when all three versions are superimposed on
eachother...

Yrs, &c. Lech
To mail me, take out the trash.
Crudbreeder
2004-09-22 19:18:29 UTC
Post by Lech
... i imagine there's not much of note going on [...] these days...
The latest from Laibach, Einstuerzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy & Portion
Control are all good albums. Front 242's latest isn't bad either -- once
you replace the MorF wankings with cuts from "Still & Raw". Even "7rain"
turns out to be an alright track when all three versions are superimposed on
eachother...
The latest from Laibach is not exactly bad, it's just not very
interesting.
WKR
2004-09-22 19:53:50 UTC
Post by Ray Parker Jr.
Post by Mr. Tangent
Perhaps it's true that usenet is dead. I remember posting to RMI in
the mid-to-late 90s and there
it's sad.
i'm sitting here at 1:30am listening to mentallo & the fixer intently for the
first time in a long while, deciding to read rmi on a whim, and noticing that
there's nary a trace of the life that existed here back in, say, 97.
indeed it has become somewhat quiet on RMI.1995 - 1999 appeared to be the
busiest.Certainly were some extensive flamewars and HUGE sig files back
then.
Post by Ray Parker Jr.
it, as all else, is depressing.
Eric< I never pictured you the " goffik" type.*smirk*
Post by Ray Parker Jr.
of course, i imagine there's not much of note going on in the "scene" these
days, but gee, wouldn't it be fun to pretend for old time's sake?
yours,
eric
Not sure of anyone else,but I sold off quite a bit of my CD collection.Find
myself going out to buy some of the stuff again.Forma Tadre " Navigator",FLA
" T.N.I",Front242 ( anything pre-evil off).Being accused on this forum of
being a CD whore ( promo slut) while writing for Culture Shock magazine and
a few webzines,I find it amusing that I am paying on average 10% more for
the harder to find titles.

Hard to fathom where the traffic from scene related NG has gone to? yahoo
groups? IRC? blogs?
I have no idea.
Wayn(E)

np DJ Cable " megamix"
DAMnet
2004-09-23 14:02:14 UTC
juss thought i'd chime in to say i remember the "glory days" here on rmi (or
wuz it 'thee gory daze'?) 'twas around 95-99, from what aiee can recall,
also...

anyways - we're still at it ... playing live in NYC on Oct 9th, we hope some
"rmi" types past / present/ futur can make ot to the BATCAVE

pass an more info at:
http://www.crocshop.com
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
m.hale c/s (runs for an extinguisher)
then.
Armitage-VI
2004-09-23 16:43:56 UTC
WKR wrote: " I sold off quite a bit of my CD collection.Find
myself going out to buy some of the stuff again"

This is a never ending cycle, I gave away an assload of old
industrial CDE's that I never listen to anmore. It's sad because I
just go out and buy more and more and more, then I have to get rid of
theo nes I never listen to.

So Here's a good question for all you guys who've been here since
the old days (I remember posting back in '97 back then I was
T6F6W6)***@aol.com
Anyway my question for you is, 10 years from now when you are old and
wearing Golf Shirts, what Industrial Albums will last the test of
time? What do u think you will still be listining to?

For me it's Pretty safe to say:
Download - III
Switchblade Symphony - Serpetine Garden
Ohgr - WELT
Phylr - Contr La Puerta
Skinny Puppy - The Process
Coil - Unnatural History 2

NP: Teargas & Plateglass "Self titled" <BAD ASS REALLY DARK scores
with a downtempo Groove. It sounds like an episode of the X-Files with
a hip hop groove.

Regards,
David F
www.thelastwebsiteonearth.com
Lech
2004-09-23 21:35:25 UTC
... 10 years from now when you are old and
wearing Golf Shirts...
Will never happen.
What do u think you will still be listining to?
Same stuff I still liked ten years ago... in 2014 my portable Friendchip
EarClip Future Media Format player will quite likely hold -- among a
multitude of other things -- the latest remastered & enhanced versions of
Depeche Mode's "Some Great Reward", Front 242's "Official Version", Skinny
Puppy's, "Vivi SECT VI", Laibach's "Nova Akropola", Nitzer Ebb's "Ebbhead"
etc. Not to forget the stunning collaborations of Goldfrapp & Kraftwerk
("Electric Cabaret") & Dave Gahan & Alan Wilder ("UnsOund Rewards") ...
Ohgr - WELT
Yeah, ok. But "SunnyPsyOp" too.
Skinny Puppy - The Process
Probably play "Greater wrong..." more often. Also, Laibach's "W A T",
Prick's self-titled, Bowie's "Outside", Das Ich's "Egodram", Curve's
"Cuckoo", & Neubauten's "Silence is Sexy". Nothing too abrasive...

Yrs, &c. Lech