[London] Coil Gig
Drew
2004-06-09 19:43:22 UTC
Found out (via a completely random check of the Threshold House web
site) that tickets are on sale for a Coil gig in London on the 25th of
July. Might suit those who would not deign to attend WGT...

Just a heads-up in case you are as poorly informed as I was/am.

Cheers,
Drew

PS - On a related note, if you already knew, where did you find out?
Crudbreeder
I'm thinking of attending since I'm in London that week anyway.
Thes
2004-06-23 15:14:36 UTC
Post by Drew
Found out (via a completely random check of the Threshold House web
site) that tickets are on sale for a Coil gig in London on the 25th of
July. Might suit those who would not deign to attend WGT...
Just a heads-up in case you are as poorly informed as I was/am.
Cheers,
Drew
PS - On a related note, if you already knew, where did you find out?
Saw that too, tickets in hand.

Excuse the ignorance, but what is this WGT of which you speak?

On a somewhat related note - The Hafler Trio are currently "performing"
in London as well. The first performance was certainly interesting!

Thes.
tetraplan
2004-06-23 16:30:17 UTC
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:14:36 +0100, in rec.music.industrial, Thes
Post by Thes
On a somewhat related note - The Hafler Trio are currently "performing"
in London as well. The first performance was certainly interesting!
In what way?

t, Ihbmh: radio
--
Reply: dwaes at hetnet punt nl

By working the soil
We cultivate the sky
Thes
2004-06-24 09:28:47 UTC
Post by Thes
On a somewhat related note - The Hafler Trio are currently "performing"
in London as well. The first performance was certainly interesting!
In what way?
t, Ihbmh: radio
In a "what the hell's it all mean" kind of way. I guess a lot of
performance art is abstract and indecipherable and this certainly was.
But in a compelling way, iykwim. It was interesting to move around the
dark space, dodging the performers, to see what was going on; listen to
the sounds, and just try and make sense of it all.

Or perhaps I'm just a bit dim!

Thes
Drew
2004-06-24 12:23:10 UTC
[snip]
Post by Thes
Excuse the ignorance, but what is this WGT of which you speak?
Wave gotik treffen, where they performed this year.
Post by Thes
On a somewhat related note - The Hafler Trio are currently "performing"
in London as well. The first performance was certainly interesting!
Do tell.

Their performance tonight (24/06) is also being broadcast live (via
realaudio for non-london types) on resonance FM (www.resonancefm.com).

Cheers,
Drew
Thes.
Thes
2004-06-24 13:22:33 UTC
(snip)
Post by Drew
Post by Thes
On a somewhat related note - The Hafler Trio are currently "performing"
in London as well. The first performance was certainly interesting!
Do tell.
A quick description:
Smallish, dark space partly split with black curtains forming a square
space in the centre. Sitting in same, an elderly gent in top hat and
tails occasionally recited "Haflerisms" from a book with a torch. A goth
girl in red nearby changed printed signs on an easel and held aloft a
censer at some point. A person wandered about measuring things with
fishing line and scribbling notes on paper which were handed to the
seated gent. They said things such as "Please don't tell us anything for
15 minutes". Other performers moved about with torches, illuminating
various objects/people. Two women in hooped cocktail dresses appeared
and spun through the space, balancing trays of red jelly on their
beehived heads, then similarly disappeared. A man prepared and then
shaved at a low table. There was sound.

Make of it what you will, I guess, is the intention. The soundtrack was
interesting and reasonably varied, not overly loud, and mainly textures
and drones with some vocal samples/cutups. The torch light and the need
to move about to see everything maintained a certain level of
anticipation, even anxiety throughout.

I did enjoy it, even if I did emerge feeling a trifle baffled, wondering
if I was insufficiently (or overly) analytical to glean an underlying
meaning. If there was one. Who knows.
Post by Drew
Their performance tonight (24/06) is also being broadcast live (via
realaudio for non-london types) on resonance FM (www.resonancefm.com).
Sure to be worth checking out. I'm interested to see what happens!

Thes
Blood 'n' Tongue
2004-06-25 01:13:58 UTC
Post by Thes
Smallish, dark space partly split with black curtains forming a square
space in the centre. Sitting in same, an elderly gent in top hat and
tails occasionally recited "Haflerisms" from a book with a torch.
The "elderly gent" would be Andrew Mckenzie, "da man", as it were,
behind the Hafler Trio.
Post by Thes
I did enjoy it, even if I did emerge feeling a trifle baffled, wondering
if I was insufficiently (or overly) analytical to glean an underlying
meaning. If there was one. Who knows.
I'm a huge fan of Andrew's works and I don't think I'll ever "get it"
either.
However, there's an illuminating text he wrote that is included in
volume III
of the Who Sees Goes On series of 10" singles where he describes his
childhood interest in stage magic and how his work continues to this day
to involve deliberate misdirection and that he doubts anyone will ever
catch on to what he's really up to. With H30, you just have to accept
the unacceptable. I've been tempted at times to write it off as
meaningless, but, when you do catch the odd glimpse of what's going on,
you know there's something completely thought out burried deep inside.
--
Blood 'n' Tongue
www.blood-n-tongue.net
www.themysterons.net
Thes
2004-06-25 11:06:18 UTC
[snip]
Post by Blood 'n' Tongue
The "elderly gent" would be Andrew Mckenzie, "da man", as it were,
behind the Hafler Trio.
Really? I was trying to ID him from what few pictures I've seen, and the
eye-only photgraphs in the Wire magazine a month or two ago. Didn't
look like him, but you're probably right.
Post by Blood 'n' Tongue
Post by Thes
[...]
Interesting. At last night's performance, which consisted of a series of
"pieces", each was titled and announced by a speaker. For the last one
he said something along the lines of "By now you are probably wondering
what this all means; I can hear it in the back of your minds. Well here
it is, the answer, delivered directly to your subconscious". What
followed didn't involve any revelations (for me at least), but I do like
the idea that a situation can be synthesised in such a way to create
thought and meaning without one consciously realising. As I'm
discovering with McKenzie, perhaps that idea goes a long way towards
understanding his intentions.

Ack - headache now...

Thes