Skinny Puppy the new Rubettes?!
Crusty RMI guy
2003-11-23 02:38:42 UTC
Hello all, haven't popped my head in these well-worn stomping grounds in years!
It's a virtual ghost town around here. I noticed Skinny Puppy exists again,
an event which would've occurred off my radar if I hadn't popped in on a whim!

So really, its all over then isn't it. Like the Rubettes, a onetime leading
light in glam rock, Skinny Puppy is picking up the nostalgia-rock-circuit
mantle to keep a paycheck around. The way in which a band slides from top form
to irrelevency differs widely. There are those who manage to pull off
'comebacks', usually a blip of popularity when a new product finds a brief
moment of relevence in pop culture. David Bowie, the Rolling Stones, and Cher
are examples of triumphs of marketing and image over relevency to acheive
staying power.

But what makes Skinny Puppy more like The Rubettes than say, the Red Hot
Chilipeppers? Both Skinny Puppy and the Red Hot Chilipeppers are bands that
are irrelevent in todays market, soldiering on anyway. But Skinny Puppy will
be relegated to the nostalgia circuit, while Red Hot Chilipeppers will still
pull in large crowds at skateboard or snowboarding events. It's not because
Skinny Puppy courted a less mainstream and therefore smaller audience, because
ultimately they courted the same audience as the Red Hot Chilipeppers. The
difference is the cultural relevency. The 'goth' fashion victims of the 80s
barely limped into the 90s and are all but obscure post-modern footnotes in the
00s. Meanwhile the hemp-gobbling Woody Harrelson fashion victims who tend to
enjoy Red Hot Chilipeppers concerts are still going stong. RCHP can tap into
an audience with tremendous staying power - the same sort of people who spent
decades following the Grateful Dead. Skinny Puppy were A-list purveyors of a
short-lived cultural movement, much like the Rubettes were.

So that's the difference, but isn't it fascinating to see a band who dropped
the ball in every way possible during their height of popularity (the period
between Last Rites and Thee Process), their 'prime earning years' as a
financial planner would put it , to kick along to end up so thoroughly
irrelevent only a few short years later. That's what makes Skinny Puppy like
the Rubettes. Its the quick change from pop culture to nostalgia culture.

Personally I like it better this way, and I hope Skinny Puppy have the good
sense not make any new albums and just prosper on the nostalgia circuit in
europe, playing Smothered Hope over and over again just as the Rubettes
perpetually tour Germany playing Sugar Baby Love. Kudos to Skinny Puppy if
they don't subject us to any 'comebacks', or insults to pop culture, like the
David Bowies and Elvis Costellos of the world. (Costello and Bowie should team
up for a tour and belt out Pump it Up and Ashes to Ashes until everyone's had
their fill.). And Michael Jackson might have a better chance of boosting sales
of his shitty albums with child molestation publicity stunts if he'd quit
pumping out 'new' crap nobody wants to hear and stick to doing what we WANT him
to do, jump around while lip syncing 'Beat It'. Oh yeah I know David Spade
covered this topic years ago in his Hollywood Minute when he took the piss out
of Men Without Hats for not delivering the Safety Dance fix he required - but
it needs to be repeated until bands wise up and fly right! Here's hoping
Skinny Puppy uncharactaristically has their head screwed on right for once!

PS: for those of you who listen to and talk about late 90s - early 00s
industrial bands nobody cares about, and songs that pull no cultural weight
whatsoever with any significant portion of the population, there is no need to
rag on this post. Assuming anyone reads it that is - this newsgroup is deader
than roadkill. Someday there will be a popular revival of industrial music,
and the people who are still sticking around this newsgroup are probably going
to be at the forefront of it - here's hoping you do something interesting. In
the meantime producers of industrial sounds who hope to acheive some measure of
success will continue to do so on the heels of still-relevent pop culture (for
example, a youngster like Cex gains more attention for similarities to Eminem
than Trent Reznor).
sodasoda
2003-11-23 20:50:16 UTC
In article <S4Vvb.19017$***@edtnps84>, Crusty RMI guy
<***@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snipped>

eh, i don't know about cultural relevance, but i think it's pretty cool
that otto von schirach is on the new skinny puppy album.

everything i've heard from that guy is beyond insane, i hope SP take
everything overboard on the new record.

eh, who am i kidding, it'll probably turn out like the process part
II...straight to the bargain bin.
Armitage-VI
2003-11-26 16:07:22 UTC
Crusty,

I can see you point as far as the nastalgia ciruit goes,
but in all fariness isn't it a little pre-mature to even judge the
reformation of Skinny Puppy? I mean I'm not sayin that YOU are doing
this, but it seems like any new industrial acts come along, and then
all these people are like, Oh that's nothing new Puppy did it way back
when. THen it's like people say everything sucks, and it's not as good
as some other band ten years ago.

My main annoyance is when this is done a band will reform,
and then it's like just because they are working on New material that
they are a "Sell Out" or the are cashing in. So far I don't think it's
fair to say that about puppy at all, I mean Key and Ogre have worked
to together for years, then they've been busy doing their own things,
I think it's completly understandable that they want to do a new
album. Also we don't know what it will sound like, Optimissed is the
latest Puppy song, but we can't judge everything off of one song for
some soundtrack. So all in all I think it's great they are working on
new material, and I hope it does become a Process part II I would crap
myself if it's that good. However I seriously doubt that it will,
because of a few diffrent factors, 1) Dwayne isn't a part of it 2)
Dave Ogilvie isn't producing it 3) I haven't hard any news of them
signing to a major label, or anything like, so I don't think it's not
fair to really judge them until I've heard the album. Just my opinion
and I am being the "Optimistic" one on this review. It may very well
just sound like a new OhGr album with Cevins little analogue synth
ambient sweeps and quirky rythmic sounds. In that case I will agree
and be like "Oh that new puppy album isn't all that". But it may be
really good, it's too soon to tell.

Regards,
David F
NP: Gary Numan "Hybrid"
than Trent Reznor).
anirguista
2003-11-28 08:35:38 UTC
Kudos to Crusty.

Now most of this "electronic music" is just not something i want to
listen to. I've heard Thomas Raumschmiere, newer Coil material, newer
Autechre, newer Meat Beat, Peaches, Bogdan Raczynski, Supersilent, and
i even downloaded most of those mp3 samples from the last issue of
"The Brain" webzine and it just didn't strike a chord with me (with
the exception of _maybe_ 1 or 2 songs on The Brain). And I used to
listen to older Ae, Coil and Meat Beat pretty often.

I hope SP isn't doing this just for the money. And a Throbbing
Gristle reunion!!! Why? Their music wasn't that great to begin with.
Never mind whether or not it was "influential". I want something i
_want_ to listen to, and often.

Isn't there anything out right now that IS new and interesting _AND_
has vocals?

I'm tired of this "i'm so special and interesting 'cause i can make
neat sounds" or the never unpopular "murder death kill, murder death
kill" .... or the always popular "we're angry with the U.S.
president!" or "glitch core" (picture: DJ wearing sunglasses with
backward or sideways baseball cap).

Now i'm not sure if i just tooted my own horn or if i was looking for
advice (a bit of both, i think), but i'd be as happy as Larry if
someone could suggest a website that has some samples of new
electronic music with vocals that can be HEARD and UNDERSTOOD with
even interesting and good music to accompany those vocals.

But please, no coffee table conversation pieces that people buy for
their own image.

a.n.
Heaven's Trash
2003-11-28 10:15:46 UTC
Post by anirguista
Now i'm not sure if i just tooted my own horn or if i was looking for
advice (a bit of both, i think), but i'd be as happy as Larry if
someone could suggest a website that has some samples of new
electronic music with vocals that can be HEARD and UNDERSTOOD with
even interesting and good music to accompany those vocals.
Gah. Vocals that can be understood are overestimated. I love Einsturzende
Neubauten and I don't understand a word of German. Doesn't stop me from
singing along, though. :D
Keef
2003-12-01 09:30:28 UTC
Post by anirguista
Kudos to Crusty.
Isn't there anything out right now that IS new and interesting _AND_
has vocals?
It isn't new (at all in fact) but if you dont have Snog's "Buy me I'll
Change your life" then get it.
heyman
2003-12-03 07:43:01 UTC
Post by Keef
Post by anirguista
Kudos to Crusty.
Isn't there anything out right now that IS new and interesting _AND_
has vocals?
It isn't new (at all in fact) but if you dont have Snog's "Buy me I'll
Change your life" then get it.
I agree.
The title is like a double negative, in that you really don't believe
it, but think it's a cute gimmicky name.. then realize a month later
it sort of has changed your life.
oOOOoooooo!

lol

Plantagenet
2003-11-29 03:08:08 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Armitage-VI
My main annoyance is when this is done a band will reform,
and then it's like just because they are working on New material that
they are a "Sell Out" or the are cashing in.
Compared to other nostalgia acts out there, it's not like there's any
real money in industrial music anyway. And if this is truly just a
cash-in, I'd rather my money goes to Cevin and Ogre, rather than shit
like Crapney Spears
Post by Armitage-VI
Also we don't know what it will sound like, Optimissed is the
latest Puppy song, but we can't judge everything off of one song for
some soundtrack. So all in all I think it's great they are working on
new material, and I hope it does become a Process part II I would crap
myself if it's that good.
That was such an under-rated album. Considering the lack of time they
put in, I hope they get to remaster and remix that someday.
Post by Armitage-VI
However I seriously doubt that it will,
because of a few diffrent factors, 1) Dwayne isn't a part of it 2)
Dave Ogilvie isn't producing it
Well, if it sounds more like their Doomsday Brap Vol. 5 CD, it'll be
alright. Then again, they've never really put out 2 albums that are
totally alike.
mimus
2003-11-30 20:11:32 UTC
Post by Plantagenet
Post by Armitage-VI
I think it's great they are working on
new material, and I hope it does become a Process part II I would crap
myself if it's that good.
That was such an under-rated album. Considering the lack of time they
put in, I hope they get to remaster and remix that someday.
One song (the one 'bout death, forget its name) definitely needed
mixed down, but then the title track was static to such a degree, and
belying its theme, that it was a total failure, and I really couldn't
get a decent block off the album even including those two tracks . . .
.

Gad. I mean, considering the three previous albums . . . .

(I blamed heroin at the time.)

--
np: Mark 13/Kinetic (yeah, right)
np for real: Haujobb/Polarity, Vertical Theory