Angstpop, a german word?
Soterro
2004-06-25 11:31:17 UTC

I have somehow the the feeling that the term 'angstpop' is so related to
the german-speaking scene... I just did a newsgroups search, all german
messages. A Google shows similar results.

Is there a translation of this term - in relation to the american scene,
for example? ('crap' is not an answer :D thank you)

np: Haus Arafna - Scars
Locke
2004-06-25 16:25:27 UTC
One day Soterro posted:
|I have somehow the the feeling that the term 'angstpop' is so related to
|the german-speaking scene... I just did a newsgroups search, all german
|messages. A Google shows similar results.

Indeed, it is a word of German origin. "Angst" means fear. AFAIK, the
term "Angstpop" was first used by SPK in their early days when they (and
the industrial scene in general) had a certain obsession with the German
language. Nowadays it essentially it is used to refer to the stuff that
sounds pretty similar to early SPK (e.g. Haus Arafna and other folks from
the Galakthorrö label). I think they try to avoid any discussion about
industrial vs. post-industrial by using a more specific genre tag.

|Is there a translation of this term - in relation to the american scene,
|for example? ('crap' is not an answer :D thank you)

Well, I'm not aware of any translated counterpart in the American scene.
Wouldn't make much sense IMHO since the original term was invented in the
English speaking scene anyway.

HTH,
Locke

NP: Pan Sonic & Charlemagne Palestine "Mort Aux Vaches"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
Soterro
2004-06-28 09:48:03 UTC
Post by Locke
Well, I'm not aware of any translated counterpart in the American scene.
Wouldn't make much sense IMHO since the original term was invented in the
English speaking scene anyway.
However I was just saying that NONE of the english speakers is using the
word 'angstpop'. At least that's what Google and Usenet are pretending.
It would be silly to think that nobody from across the pond is listening
to Haus Arafna and early SPK, so my guess is they didn't bother to name
them somehow.
Besides, I personally even fail to see the big rassemblances between any
Haus Arafna and that SPK - Walking on dead steps...

np: Karl Runau - Wet dream