Kraftwerk - Tour de France Soundtracks
neoclassical
2003-09-11 14:02:21 UTC
I am listening to this once again and am blown away by how intelligent it is
and yet how much it does not sacrifice emotion. Unlike most pop, which
either screams "pay attention to meeeeeee!" or complains about something in
weepy overtones, this music is about the bonding of human and machine to
achieve new heights constantly. It is always moving forward, past the
tragedy and loss and fear, toward the fun, playful, brave and hopeful.

(It can be found in my soulseek stash.)

Review:
http://www.anus.com/zine/music/kraftwerk/

Forums:
http://www.mensch-maschine.org/metropolis/
Chuang Shyue Chou
2003-09-11 15:17:52 UTC
Post by neoclassical
I am listening to this once again and am blown away by how intelligent it is
and yet how much it does not sacrifice emotion. Unlike most pop, which
either screams "pay attention to meeeeeee!" or complains about something in
weepy overtones, this music is about the bonding of human and machine to
achieve new heights constantly. It is always moving forward, past the
tragedy and loss and fear, toward the fun, playful, brave and hopeful.
(It can be found in my soulseek stash.)
http://www.anus.com/zine/music/kraftwerk/
http://www.mensch-maschine.org/metropolis/
Here is a not so favourable review of 'Tour de France Soundtracks' in the
Independent. A contrary opinion.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/reviews/story.jsp?story=429410
Lief Kirn
2003-09-11 21:53:28 UTC
Post by Chuang Shyue Chou
Here is a not so favourable review of 'Tour de France Soundtracks' in the
Independent. A contrary opinion.
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/reviews/story.jsp?story=429410
This article is exactly what I would say about it. It is just NOT a very good
album by any standards. If a year ago I created a similar album and sent it to
Astralwerks they would have never even thought twice about the totally basic
and generic tracks. The only reason kraftwerk was able to get this album put
out is because they ARE kraftwerk. I'm sure Astralwerks got the money they
wanted for it because of the name Kraftwerk. But shame on that label for
basically letting Kraftwerk live out the legend in a big pile of burning ashes.
I'm going to listen to the Man Machine and pretend that this never happened.
Chuang Shyue Chou
2003-09-12 02:18:25 UTC
Post by Lief Kirn
This article is exactly what I would say about it. It is just NOT a very good
album by any standards. If a year ago I created a similar album and sent it to
Astralwerks they would have never even thought twice about the totally basic
and generic tracks. The only reason kraftwerk was able to get this album put
out is because they ARE kraftwerk. I'm sure Astralwerks got the money they
wanted for it because of the name Kraftwerk. But shame on that label for
basically letting Kraftwerk live out the legend in a big pile of burning ashes.
I'm going to listen to the Man Machine and pretend that this never happened.
I can't say that I am impressed with the album, let alone the single too.
One word came to mind, 'vanilla'.

What do you think of the new Karl Bartos release? There is a review in the
Independent.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/reviews/story.jsp?story=440389

Beyond 'Man Machine', I don't know if you have heard Elektric Music's
'Esperanto' album. It's yet another Karl Bartos project.

There is another Karl Bartos project, Electric Music (note the minor
spelling differences), that is somewhat disconcerting but nevertheless
illustrated his versatility. Electric Music consists of light guitar pop
music and Johnny Marr's guitar work! This one is a fluffy disposable joy to
behold!
DB >
2003-09-12 15:20:50 UTC
Chuang Shyue Chou écrit:
[Kraftwerk - tour de france]
Post by Chuang Shyue Chou
Here is a not so favourable review of 'Tour de France Soundtracks' in the
Independent. A contrary opinion.
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/reviews/story.jsp?story=429410
Furthermore, atleast the UK release of this album is copy-controlled (as all
EMI releases are I have later found out).

I sent my copy back to the retailer upon arrival.

//d
Chuang Shyue Chou
2003-09-12 15:36:14 UTC
Ahh. However, 'CloneCD' can easily make copies without any problems.
Veni Vidi Exii
2003-09-12 20:04:26 UTC
Post by DB >
Furthermore, atleast the UK release of this album is
copy-controlled (as all EMI releases are I have later found
out).
I sent my copy back to the retailer upon arrival.
It's really bad, you would've sold it anyway. Seriously. I was
embarassed for them when I heard it.
--
-Chris

np: Russian Futurists - A Telegram From The Future
"The 80s sucked in the 80s, and they still suck now."
-Shakey Mo Collier