Why the gasmasks??
Thiago90ap
2008-06-09 07:41:38 UTC
Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?
mimus
2008-06-09 14:30:15 UTC
Post by Thiago90ap
Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?
Too un-detailed the question . . . wot gas-masks?
--
Let there be, like, this weird throbbing in my head, see, and my vision
blurring, and . . . .
Girl <last name>
2008-06-09 19:42:19 UTC
Post by Thiago90ap
Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?
Because of THE GAS!!!

Girl.
dj_evol_eno
2008-06-10 14:11:42 UTC
On Jun 9, 3:42 pm, "Girl <last name>"
Post by Girl <last name>
Post by Thiago90ap
Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?
Because of THE GAS!!!
Girl.
Beat me to the punch. From the vague "direct" question, we get very
little.

But as for their use? I'd agree they are mostly used to protect its
user from the gas. But for the aesthetic or "decorative" use by kids
in "the scene" and graphic designers using it on fliers and other
artwork, well it's war conotations and the mysterious side where the
face is covered make it quite attractive in a scene known for
darkness, drama and mysteriousness...not to mention it's connection
with death itself. These answers all seem pretty obvious though, which
makes me think you were kinda kidding or being a smart ass... if
that's the case, I answer your question with another... Why the
goggles? At least the gas masks having symbolic meaning behind
them...goggles...just look goofy.
Examples:
and
Locke
2008-06-12 10:43:45 UTC
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 00:41:38 -0700 (PDT), Thiago90ap
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

|Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?

Because Industrial is not yet dead, it just smells so damn funny.

CU,
Locke

NP: Mark Stewart "Mark Stewart"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
mimus
2008-06-12 17:13:32 UTC
Post by Thiago90ap
Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?
Because Industrial is not yet dead, it just smells so damn funny.
We seem to be getting about one major release every two years . . . .
Let there be--is something on fire?
Locke
2008-06-15 19:59:04 UTC
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:13:32 -0400, mimus <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
|On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:43:45 +0200, Locke wrote:
|> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 00:41:38 -0700 (PDT), Thiago90ap
|> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
|>> Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?
|>
|> Because Industrial is not yet dead, it just smells so damn funny.
|
|We seem to be getting about one major release every two years . . . .

Sounds horrible. Where do you live? North Korea?

CU,
Locke

NP: Recoil "SubHuman"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
mimus
2008-06-15 23:28:46 UTC
Post by Locke
Post by Thiago90ap
Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?
Because Industrial is not yet dead, it just smells so damn funny.
We seem to be getting about one major release every two years . . . .
Sounds horrible. Where do you live? North Korea?
On rmi.
--
Let there be some evidence of any greater frequency of major throbbing
than that.
mimus
2008-06-16 03:41:55 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by Locke
Post by Thiago90ap
Very direct the question... Why the gasmasks?
Because Industrial is not yet dead, it just smells so damn funny.
We seem to be getting about one major release every two years . . . .
Sounds horrible. Where do you live? North Korea?
On rmi.
Actually, based on my "Electro-EBM Blocks List", and remembering _Pulse_,
and giving _InHuman_ (which I haven't heard yet, but the one before and
after it are great, so . . . ) and _The Greater Wrong of the Right_ (let's
not start that again) the benefit of the doubt, we're looking more at
about a major release per year on average, since 2000:

2000:

Die Form/ Extremum

2002:

Android Lust/ The Dividing
Covenant/ Northern Light

2003:

(Front) 242/ Pulse

2004:

Die Form/ Inhuman
Skinny Puppy/ The Greater Wrong of the Right

2006:

Android Lust/ Devour, Rise and Take Flight
Covenant/ Skyshaper
Die Form/ ExHuman

Skimpy, distinctly skimpy.

Additional suggestions requested (NB: Assemblage 23 is still in "brooding
over it all" status).
Let there be a little more throbbing than that. Geez.
Locke
2008-06-17 18:35:00 UTC
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:41:55
-0400, mimus <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

|Actually, based on my "Electro-EBM Blocks List", and remembering _Pulse_,
|and giving _InHuman_ (which I haven't heard yet, but the one before and
|after it are great, so . . . ) and _The Greater Wrong of the Right_ (let's
|not start that again) the benefit of the doubt, we're looking more at
|about a major release per year on average, since 2000:

Well, between 2000 and 2002 we still had enough traffic in rmi that any
archive search will turn up enough to falsify your claim.

|2003:
|
|(Front) 242/ Pulse

Snog "Beyond the Valley of the Proles"
Haus Arafna "Butterfly"
Laibach "WAT"
Anenzephalia "Noehaem"
Iszoloscope "Au Seuil du Néant"

|2004:
|
|Die Form/ Inhuman
|Skinny Puppy/ The Greater Wrong of the Right

Throbbing Gristle "Now"
Klangstabil "Taking Nothing Seriously"
Einstürzende Neubauten "Perpetuum Mobile"
Black Lung "The Grand Chessboard"

2005:

Foetus "Love"
Mark Stewart "Kiss the Future"
Militia "Everything is One"
Negativland "No Business"
Orphx "Insurgent Flows"
Coil "The Ape of Naples"

|2006:
|
|Android Lust/ Devour, Rise and Take Flight
|Covenant/ Skyshaper
|Die Form/ ExHuman

Foetus "Damp"
Laibach "Volk"
Snog "... vs. the Faecal Juggernaut of Mass Culture"

2007:

Throbbing Gristle "Part Two - The Endless Not"
Snog "The Last Days of Rome"
Foetus "Vein"
Einstürzende Neubauten "Alles wieder offen"
The Young Gods "Super Ready / Fragmenté"
Keef Baker "Redeye" (yes, the former rmi resident)

2008:

Mark Stewart "Edit"
Coil "The New Backwards"
t.b.c.

|Skimpy, distinctly skimpy.

Well, I put a limit to my additions so we hhave six releases per year,
making it one every two months on average. Of course, the list is
completely personal and by no means complete. It could be continued
almost endlessly.

|Additional suggestions requested (NB: Assemblage 23 is still in "brooding
|over it all" status).

I have a suggestion: Get a broader taste and listen to some more music.

CU,
Locke

NP: Sandow "Kiong - Gefährten der Liebe"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
mimus
2008-06-18 01:25:53 UTC
Post by mimus
Skimpy, distinctly skimpy.
Well, I put a limit to my additions so we hhave six releases per year,
making it one every two months on average. Of course, the list is
completely personal and by no means complete. It could be continued
almost endlessly.
You claim then that your additions are as strong as the original list?

Interesting, very interesting.

I am of course aware of Snog, and indeed have _Buy Me_ (1998) and _Third
Mall_ (1999) on the list, and there's a couple of other earlier ones I'm
slowly mulling over, and indeed again (three "indeeds" mean you've sprung
something) isn't Black Lung another project of his?

And is the Negativland a serious and polished work? so much of their early
stuff was so raw it was off-putting (viz. _Escape from Noise_), although
the EP _Guns_ showed considerable musical polish . . . but I've never
really followed 'em.
Post by Locke
Post by mimus
Additional suggestions requested (NB: Assemblage 23 is still in "brooding
over it all" status).
I have a suggestion: Get a broader taste and listen to some more music.
That was two suggestions.

Suggestion number one is rejected.

Suggestion number two is somewhat constrained by how much it hurts me to
buy even a used CD and find out I don't like it or even that it's
objectively demonstrably sucky as music . . . :

Ie, I'm not only a musical Fascist, I'm cheep.

But let's see more fill-ins, please!
Let there be some magical way to only buy the throbbing you like.
Locke
2008-06-19 14:26:24 UTC
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:25:53 -0400, mimus <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

|You claim then that your additions are as strong as the original list?

Of course not. They're much stronger by far since they were coming from
me.

|Interesting, very interesting.
|
|I am of course aware of Snog, and indeed have _Buy Me_ (1998) and _Third
|Mall_ (1999) on the list, and there's a couple of other earlier ones I'm
|slowly mulling over, and indeed again (three "indeeds" mean you've sprung
|something) isn't Black Lung another project of his?

Yes, completely instrumental and nowadays more on the technoid side of
things.

|And is the Negativland a serious and polished work? so much of their early
|stuff was so raw it was off-putting (viz. _Escape from Noise_), although
|the EP _Guns_ showed considerable musical polish . . . but I've never
|really followed 'em.

Compared to acts like Wobbly, Evolution Control Committee and V/Vm
they're extremely polished. But then, if you didn't like "Escape from
Noise" maybe this stuff is not right for you.

|>> Additional suggestions requested (NB: Assemblage 23 is still in "brooding
|>> over it all" status).
|>
|> I have a suggestion: Get a broader taste and listen to some more music.
|
|That was two suggestions.

It was a combination of mutually dependent suggestions.

|Suggestion number one is rejected.
|
|Suggestion number two is somewhat constrained by how much it hurts me to
|buy even a used CD and find out I don't like it or even that it's
|objectively demonstrably sucky as music . . . :

If you have already decided which were the five (or ten) good albums that
get your approval then you're probably better off to re-buy those albums
(or slight variations thereof) again and again until you die. The choice
is yours.

CU,
Locke

NP: Nine Inch Nails "Ghosts IV"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
mimus
2008-06-19 16:55:42 UTC
Post by Locke
Post by mimus
You claim then that your additions are as strong as the original list?
Of course not. They're much stronger by far since they were coming from
me.
I believe that is my line . . . .
Post by Locke
Post by mimus
Interesting, very interesting.
I am of course aware of Snog, and indeed have _Buy Me_ (1998) and
_Third Mall_ (1999) on the list, and there's a couple of other earlier
ones I'm slowly mulling over, and indeed again (three "indeeds" mean
you've sprung something) isn't Black Lung another project of his?
Yes, completely instrumental and nowadays more on the technoid side of
things.
Wot, no songs?
Post by Locke
Post by mimus
And is the Negativland a serious and polished work? so much of their
early stuff was so raw it was off-putting (viz. _Escape from Noise_),
although the EP _Guns_ showed considerable musical polish . . . but
I've never really followed 'em.
Compared to acts like Wobbly, Evolution Control Committee and V/Vm
they're extremely polished. But then, if you didn't like "Escape from
Noise" maybe this stuff is not right for you.
The average length of the damned pieces on it was so irritatingly short,
and it _was_ raw . . . .

The relatively long piece about Soviet time-zones ("*bonnng*") was the
best on it, IIRC (been a long time).
Post by Locke
Post by mimus
Post by Locke
Post by mimus
Additional suggestions requested (NB: Assemblage 23 is still in "brooding
over it all" status).
I have a suggestion: Get a broader taste and listen to some more music.
That was two suggestions.
It was a combination of mutually dependent suggestions.
We deemed it severable.
Post by Locke
Post by mimus
Suggestion number one is rejected.
Suggestion number two is somewhat constrained by how much it hurts me
to buy even a used CD and find out I don't like it or even that it's
If you have already decided which were the five (or ten) good albums
that get your approval then you're probably better off to re-buy those
albums (or slight variations thereof) again and again until you die.
The choice is yours.
<snork>

Reasonable lyrics (can be, let us say, somewhat impressionistic), good
vocals (both male and female preferred, although by no means necessarily
both on every song or even many of 'em), low-guitar, decent throb,
balanced in everything else (soft/loud, soft/harsh, slow/fast,
repetition/variation, simple/complex, raw/polished, instrumental/song), no
ABABABAB stuff _please_:

Not that restrictive, really.

That Plastic Noise Experience release is about as minimalistic as I can
stand; I'm not sure that you can get too complex and polished for me (hey,
I'm a Mahler fan, too, in spite of his being a bit rhythm-challenged . . . ).
--
Let there be all of the above.