New Stuff
Drew
2003-10-28 17:47:42 UTC
A few random thoughts to see if someone's still breathing...

Converter - "Exit Ritual" -- This is just so damn enjoyable. The
label's right when they say there's some similarities to some classic
stuff. For some reason people keep wanting to say 'power electronics',
which is just false. Of course, it still has Converter written all
over it... especially in the rhythms. Enjoying it a lot more than the
last full length, which I listened to... maybe three times?

Tarmvred EP - Not my cup of tea at all... Anyone have something nice
to say here?

Gridlock - 'Formless' -- Pretty much what one expected, except that
the excellent moments are further apart than one would hope. More
ambient and (of course) glitchy than _Trace_. It's time for Gridlock
to find a brand new synth sound or ten. Hopefully, with no help from
Brian Eno.

Vromb - 'Rayons' -- Not dissimilar to previous work, but more
listenable than 'Episodes'. I quite like this.

Ah Cama Sotz/Izsoloscope 'CarmaNecroscope' - A bunch of moaning and
drones. I quite like Izsoloscope, so I a little underwhelmed here, to
be honest.

Cheers,
Drew
minya
2003-10-28 22:49:41 UTC
Post by Drew
A few random thoughts to see if someone's still breathing...
Converter - "Exit Ritual" -- This is just so damn enjoyable. The
label's right when they say there's some similarities to some classic
stuff. For some reason people keep wanting to say 'power electronics',
which is just false. Of course, it still has Converter written all
over it... especially in the rhythms. Enjoying it a lot more than the
last full length, which I listened to... maybe three times?
I myself don't care for it. Sounds like Converter is trying to gain
"indie cred" by ditching the club beats and attempting a more
"classical" industrial sound. To me, it sounds like Brighter Death
Now, minus everything that makes BDN good (the atmosphere mostly).
Post by Drew
Tarmvred EP - Not my cup of tea at all... Anyone have something nice
to say here?
As a big fan of Tarmvred's, I (unfortunately) have to agree with you.
The beats are weak as hell. Hopefully he can pull it together for the
album.
Post by Drew
Gridlock - 'Formless' -- Pretty much what one expected, except that
the excellent moments are further apart than one would hope. More
ambient and (of course) glitchy than _Trace_. It's time for Gridlock
to find a brand new synth sound or ten. Hopefully, with no help from
Brian Eno.
Is this the new album on Hymen? I only suddenly (like, this week) got
into Gridlock (not sure why I waited so long), but after enjoying
"Further" and "Trace" I look forward to this one, anyway. Don't really
expect it to be innovative or anything, though - just enjoyable.
Post by Drew
Vromb - 'Rayons' -- Not dissimilar to previous work, but more
listenable than 'Episodes'. I quite like this.
Don't care too much for Vromb. Who wants to buy my (original) copy of
"Jeux de Terre" and "Perimetre"?
Post by Drew
Ah Cama Sotz/Izsoloscope 'CarmaNecroscope' - A bunch of moaning and
drones. I quite like Izsoloscope, so I a little underwhelmed here, to
be honest.
Don't care too much for these two either. Who wants to buy my copies
of "House of the Lordh" LP and "Epitaphe" box set (CD/7")?

Myself, I'm really looking forward to the Xanopticon album on Hymen.
Sure, he's essentially a Snares ripoff, but he does what he does very
well. I hope it kicks as much ass as the 7" on Mirex.
Drew
2003-10-29 10:33:32 UTC
Post by minya
I myself don't care for it. Sounds like Converter is trying to gain
"indie cred" by ditching the club beats and attempting a more
"classical" industrial sound. To me, it sounds like Brighter Death
Now, minus everything that makes BDN good (the atmosphere mostly).
I don't hear the BDN thing, but fair enough. Damn. I love this album.

Speaking of BDN, I haven't bought anything off CMI in a little while.
I'm definitely going to pick up the Atrium Carceri... any other recs?
Post by minya
Post by Drew
Tarmvred EP
[snip]
Post by minya
The beats are weak as hell.
Bingo, you win. I totally agree. Not sure what he was thinking here.
Post by minya
Post by Drew
Gridlock - 'Formless'
Is this the new album on Hymen?
Yes it is. There's a certain cheeziness to some of the sounds, but if
you don't let that bother you, I think you'll probably quite like it.

Cheers,
Drew
nicolas chevreux
2003-10-30 17:12:21 UTC
Post by Drew
Post by minya
Post by Drew
Tarmvred EP
[snip]
Post by minya
The beats are weak as hell.
Bingo, you win. I totally agree. Not sure what he was thinking here.
While I am definitely not the person to comment on this, I should just
point out that Tarmvred might not, unlike what some people have
thought after "Subfusc", be considered a noise act. And unlike many of
them, his aim is not at repeating himself.

"Subfusc" is not "Viva 6581", which is not the forthcoming album, and
so on.

Best regards,

Nicolas

np: a very good demo
-
Ad Noiseam:
http://www.adnoiseam.net
-
Recycle Your Ears
http://www.recycleyourears.com
Crudbreeder
2003-10-30 20:03:30 UTC
Post by nicolas chevreux
Post by Drew
Post by minya
Post by Drew
Tarmvred EP
[snip]
Post by minya
The beats are weak as hell.
Bingo, you win. I totally agree. Not sure what he was thinking here.
While I am definitely not the person to comment on this, I should just
point out that Tarmvred might not, unlike what some people have
thought after "Subfusc", be considered a noise act. And unlike many of
them, his aim is not at repeating himself.
`
Tarmvred is a discoboy :)

--
"I am SMP system but wine no fastest from mono procesor system, if wine
use
all prosesor or only one"
nicolas chevreux
2003-10-31 10:25:13 UTC
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:03:30 +0100, Crudbreeder
Post by Crudbreeder
Tarmvred is a discoboy :)
Oh yes. :)

Nicolas
-
Ad Noiseam:
http://www.adnoiseam.net
-
Keef
2003-11-04 13:35:39 UTC
Post by Drew
Post by minya
Post by Drew
Gridlock - 'Formless'
Is this the new album on Hymen?
Yes it is. There's a certain cheeziness to some of the sounds, but if
you don't let that bother you, I think you'll probably quite like it.
Just got this and gave it my first listen. I can't really see the
cheesiness because some of the sounds are "gridlock" sounds and while
they have been used on previous albums, I don't think anyone else has
used them.
I suppose it's like saying a certain bands guitar tone is cheesy
because they've used it on a couple of albums, so I'll have to
disagree with you there!

Personally I think it's excellent, they seem to be leaning slightly
towards the dryft side of things (which is fine by me) and doing
things a bit differently. I think it's a bigger leap forward than
trace was to further as they seem to be doing more than pads with big
distorted drums these days.

Excellent, I look forward to my 2nd listen! Which will be on my way
home from work!
nicolas chevreux
2003-11-06 19:24:18 UTC
Post by Keef
I can't really see the
cheesiness because some of the sounds are "gridlock" sounds and while
they have been used on previous albums, I don't think anyone else has
used them.
"Formless" definitely has some elements from the whole US IDM scene,
Morr Music or U Cover, this certain, and I definitely don`t think they
are the only one doing it. Now, if it is cheesy or not is a matter of
tastes. There are some tracks on this album which I would not listen
on repeat for fear of diabetes, but it is definitely not as sweet as,
say, something by Ulrich Schnauss.
Post by Keef
I think it's a bigger leap forward than
trace was to further
Yes, thank god.

Nicolas

np: Bong Ra: Bikini Bandits, Kill! Kill! Kill!
-
Ad Noiseam:
http://www.adnoiseam.net
-
nicolas chevreux
2003-11-21 16:26:34 UTC
Post by Drew
Bingo, you win. I totally agree. Not sure what he was thinking here.
Tss... Anyway, Mr Drew, here is a forecomment on the 2nd Tarmvred
album (to come out... you'll see): "That one will be dark enough ".
:-D

Nicolas

np: Kid606 - Kill sound before sound kills you
-
Ad Noiseam:
http://www.adnoiseam.net
-
Drew
2003-11-22 15:50:29 UTC
Post by nicolas chevreux
Post by Drew
Bingo, you win. I totally agree. Not sure what he was thinking here.
Tss... Anyway, Mr Drew, here is a forecomment on the 2nd Tarmvred
album (to come out... you'll see): "That one will be dark enough ".
:-D
I'm sure that being on such an open-minded label, he'll do The Right
Thing. The Right Thing, of course, is to do precisely whatever fluffs
his tutu.

As for me, I suspect that whether I like it or not will have little to
do with how 'Dark' it may or may not be...

Regards,
Drew

M. Sahlen
2003-10-29 13:01:20 UTC
Post by minya
Post by Drew
Converter - "Exit Ritual" -- This is just so damn enjoyable. The
label's right when they say there's some similarities to some classic
stuff. For some reason people keep wanting to say 'power electronics',
which is just false. Of course, it still has Converter written all
over it... especially in the rhythms. Enjoying it a lot more than the
last full length, which I listened to... maybe three times?
I myself don't care for it. Sounds like Converter is trying to gain
"indie cred" by ditching the club beats and attempting a more
"classical" industrial sound. To me, it sounds like Brighter Death
Now, minus everything that makes BDN good (the atmosphere mostly).
He he, exactly my thoughts too when I first heard it: "BDN on a
bad day".
Post by minya
Post by Drew
Gridlock - 'Formless' -- Pretty much what one expected, except that
the excellent moments are further apart than one would hope. More
ambient and (of course) glitchy than _Trace_. It's time for Gridlock
to find a brand new synth sound or ten. Hopefully, with no help from
Brian Eno.
Is this the new album on Hymen? I only suddenly (like, this week) got
into Gridlock (not sure why I waited so long), but after enjoying
"Further" and "Trace" I look forward to this one, anyway.
'Formless' (on Hymen, yes) is my introduction to Gridlock, and I
quite like what I hear. Nothing groundbreaking, but certainly very
enjoyable. Reminds quite a bit about Somatic Responses, me thinks.
Post by minya
Post by Drew
Vromb - 'Rayons' -- Not dissimilar to previous work, but more
listenable than 'Episodes'. I quite like this.
Don't care too much for Vromb. Who wants to buy my (original) copy of
"Jeux de Terre" and "Perimetre"?
It'd be hard for any band to top a grandiose (imho) debut like
'Jeux de Terre', and so far Vromb hasn't succeded... neither before,
nor with 'Rayons'. Even though a couple of tracks stand out, it's
just too uneventful and subdued to catch my attention.

// Marten
KUNTCHOCULA
2003-10-31 18:44:30 UTC
minya wrote: > >
Post by minya
I myself don't care for it. Sounds like Converter is trying to gain
"indie cred" by ditching the club beats and attempting a more
"classical" industrial sound. To me, it sounds like Brighter Death
Now, minus everything that makes BDN good (the atmosphere mostly).
Hi, you're an idiot. Cheerio! :D

Jen.
s.sturgis
2003-10-31 17:50:01 UTC
Post by minya
I myself don't care for it. Sounds like Converter is trying to gain
"indie cred" by ditching the club beats and attempting a more
"classical" industrial sound.
Heh... why would I need "indie cred"? Or, better yet, why would I
purposely write certain kinds of tracks to gain this indie cred? I
don't do that. Just wanted to try something new for me, that's all.
I'm not into writing the same album twice.

-scott
minya
2003-11-01 04:36:44 UTC
On 31 Oct 2003 09:50:01 -0800, ***@hotmail.com (s.sturgis) wrote:

This is wonderful! A discussion about industrial music on RMI - that
got the artist himself to comment, even! Three cheers. It's been a
while.
Post by s.sturgis
Heh... why would I need "indie cred"? Or, better yet, why would I
purposely write certain kinds of tracks to gain this indie cred? I
don't do that. Just wanted to try something new for me, that's all.
Okay, then. Didn't work in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.
Yeah, except for Shock Front and Blast Furnace. :)
s.sturgis
2003-11-02 18:22:13 UTC
Post by minya
Okay, then. Didn't work in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.
Right, and that's fine. But that's not my issue. You mentioned this
indie cred thing and I had no idea that, in a genre so small, indie
cred was even possible. Not sure how you figure that... or why I
would make some attempt at gaining it. Gaining it back? Did I ever
have it in the first place? Does it exist? Who else knows about this
and why the hell would anyone care?
Post by minya
Yeah, except for Shock Front and Blast Furnace. :)
Whatever. If you really think that, you obviously haven't listened.

-scott
m***@industrial.org
2003-11-04 20:51:47 UTC
Post by s.sturgis
Right, and that's fine. But that's not my issue. You mentioned this
indie cred thing and I had no idea that, in a genre so small, indie
cred was even possible.
Got to agree with you there. If you were a death industrial act suddenly
incorporating club elements I could see it but going the other way ain't
going to get you radio play or laid.

=)
Post by s.sturgis
Post by minya
Yeah, except for Shock Front and Blast Furnace. :)
Whatever. If you really think that, you obviously haven't listened.
Whatever you back. I own both and they are definitely similar. It's not
like Tarmvred's "Subfusc" vs. "Via 6051". And hell, even I want another
"Shock front" so you can't blame folks for expecting Converter will sound
like Converter. Dbs sounds like Dbs, no?

=)

Cheers

--
|) __,,_____________ moron : <***@industrial.org> (|
|) < ___________/ EEEI news : <***@industrial.org> (|
|) deterrent industries : http://deterrent.net (|
s.sturgis
2003-11-05 18:11:12 UTC
Post by m***@industrial.org
Got to agree with you there. If you were a death industrial act suddenly
incorporating club elements I could see it but going the other way ain't
going to get you radio play or laid.
Oh. Dammit! :)

Anyway, the tracks in question are all about 2 years old anyway
(originally written for another project, but I incorporated them back
in with the current converter tracks for the album because they fit
the mood I was going for). There are a couple others like these that
didn't make the album, along with more ambient stuff and some heavier
rhythmic tracks as well that I've been playing live lately. I wrote
20 tracks in total for exit ritual, so 10 made the album, 10 didn't.
Post by m***@industrial.org
Whatever you back. I own both and they are definitely similar.
Oh sure they're similar. I mean, they're both converter albums. I'd
originally mentioned not wanting to write the same album twice and
they're definitely not the same album. Even if no one else hears the
differences, I do.
Post by m***@industrial.org
And hell, even I want another
"Shock front" so you can't blame folks for expecting Converter will sound
like Converter. Dbs sounds like Dbs, no?
Yeah, of course. I know what you're saying.

-scott
nicolas chevreux
2003-11-06 19:20:39 UTC
Post by m***@industrial.org
It's not
like Tarmvred's "Subfusc" vs. "Via 6051". And hell, even I want another
"Shock front" so you can't blame folks for expecting Converter will sound
like Converter. Dbs sounds like Dbs, no?
I think there is a problem in the industrial / noise / whatever scene
that makes people unhappy when a band modify their sound. I for one am
very happy that the new Converter doesn't sound like the previous one,
and would not like "Exit Ritual" as much if it was "Shock Front 2" or
"Blast Furnace 2" (and this is for example why I was not as
enthusiastic about "Expansion pack").

For some reason, people into other kind of music seem a lot more open
about bands changing their sound more than just a little bit, and it
seems a much healthier approach. If you like "Blast Furnace" or
"Subfusc", go listen to them. But a band should not be reduced to a
sound, or to an album. Otherwise you will get people running in
circles, repeating themselves. This is, thanks God, not the case of
Converter and Tarmvred, and a reason why I think they are more
interesting than a band like (insert a big chunk of the industrial
scene here), which tend to have one hit and repeat it again and again.

So, hell yes, "Viva 6581" is not "Subfusc". And if Tarmvred
incorporates salsa guitars and russian folk vocals in his music, this
is more than welcome. :) Same goes with Converter.

m***@industrial.org
2003-11-06 20:11:24 UTC
Post by nicolas chevreux
I think there is a problem in the industrial / noise / whatever scene
that makes people unhappy when a band modify their sound. I for one am
very happy that the new Converter doesn't sound like the previous one,
and would not like "Exit Ritual" as much if it was "Shock Front 2" or
"Blast Furnace 2" (and this is for example why I was not as
enthusiastic about "Expansion pack").
Hmmm. . .I think that's pretty much universal. If a band sucks, changing
sounds is obviously a good thing to do but there is a difference between
growth and radical departure.

I can think of few bands more frustrating than the Melvins for example.
The first 3 to 5 albums all showed progression but stil kept enough of the
key elements that attracted people in the first place. But since then the
name has been just a front for a million different bits and peices that
have nothing to do with the original vision and are guaranteed to
alienate any of their old school fans.

The name should represent something to my way of thinking. If I buy a
Boltthrower album I most definitely want to hear pummelling, primitive and
rocking death metal and not cheezy power metal or nu-metal or gabber or
something else entirely. If I buy a Brighter Death Now album and it turns
out to be shitty Metropolis EBM I'm not going to be very happy either.

As a fan, I have a definite idea of what I am looking for and when a band
takes an unexpected, radical change that is not always going to please me
much. Sometimes it works, sometimes not but when a given sound isn't
fully explored (or is just so fucking eh!) then it's natural to want more
of it. I have three Bob Log III albums and I will buy the next one the
minute it comes out because there is a very good chance it will be similar
to what I have (and I can't get enough of it). Likewise, everything I
have found by Aube has been noisy in some way and any time I see an album
I will probably grab it. If I pick an album from him and it is ska, I'm
going to feel burned because that is not what I would have been looking
for.

I think that Cordell Klier has right idea with releasing disparate
projects under specific names since the reasons I would buy "Winter"
(which is very cool btw) are not the same for why I would consider
something from kreptkrept. With Tarmvred, if every album is going to be
radically different then that means that every album would have to be
judged in advance since you will have no idea what you are getting.
What's fun for him is not necessarily what's fun for me (and vice versa of
course). If a band starts out sounding like a million different things
then that's what you expect but neither Converter or Tarmvred fall under
that distinction.

It's same at the label level too of course. I know that something on
Slaughter Productions is almost for sure going to be brutal, noisy and
ugly. So if see something locally, I will be likely to check it out just
because of that. Ipecac put out the recent "Mass Destruction" disc by
Curse of the Golden Vampire but I would not have thought to check it out
if I did not already know who they were since Ipecac is mostly a rock
label.

So anyway, growth is good and change is good too. But consistency is also
nice to have and expecting fans to want anything else is probably not
going to work out any time soon.

=)

Cheers

Per Ekman
2003-11-07 08:33:35 UTC
Post by nicolas chevreux
So, hell yes, "Viva 6581" is not "Subfusc". And if Tarmvred
incorporates salsa guitars and russian folk vocals in his music, this
is more than welcome. :) Same goes with Converter.
If the sound is radically different I think it makes sense to release
it under a different name. Even if the distinction between some of
Bill Leebs many projects can be hard to define it seems pretty clear
to me that Deleriums _Semantic Spaces_ should not have been released
under the Front Line Assembly name.

That said, I got _Viva 6581_ yesterday and it clearly sounds like
Tarmvred to me. Would I love a full length album like this? Hell yes!
Will I be disappointed if it sounds different? Based on the strength
of _Subfusc_, _Onomatopoeic_ and _Sharing Needles..._ I very much
doubt it.

Who did the cover illustration btw? Reminds me of the Bugs comic that
ran in C+VG way back when Uridium was king.

*p

np. Ulf Soderberg _Vindarnas Hus_ (which squarely belongs in the
"sounds like the previous output"-camp. Brilliant, but hard to tell
apart from Sepiroth)
Locke
2003-11-09 11:10:04 UTC
Please let me quote Per Ekman...
|If the sound is radically different I think it makes sense to release
|it under a different name. Even if the distinction between some of
|Bill Leebs many projects can be hard to define it seems pretty clear
|to me that Deleriums _Semantic Spaces_ should not have been released
|under the Front Line Assembly name.

Personally I don't find it necessary or even convenient when a band
changes the name each time they change their sound. I enjoy the
diversity and like to be surprised by the output of an artist, but the
side project thing can easily become unnecessarily distracting and
confusing. At best, you can use it as a joke.

OTOH, when the predictability and tediousness is the key to the
enjoyment of a certain artist (like in the case of Bill Leeb), then
having different side projects for each slight variation of the sound is
important. The fans of this type want the predictability, they like to
be bored. So it makes sense after all.

CU,
Locke

NP: Foetus "Blow"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
Per Ekman
2003-11-09 11:45:09 UTC
Post by Locke
Please let me quote Per Ekman...
|If the sound is radically different I think it makes sense to release
|it under a different name. Even if the distinction between some of
|Bill Leebs many projects can be hard to define it seems pretty clear
|to me that Deleriums _Semantic Spaces_ should not have been released
|under the Front Line Assembly name.
Personally I don't find it necessary or even convenient when a band
changes the name each time they change their sound. I enjoy the
diversity and like to be surprised by the output of an artist, but the
side project thing can easily become unnecessarily distracting and
confusing. At best, you can use it as a joke.
Well, I'm not talking so much about a change of sound as a change of
genre.

*p
Keef
2003-11-03 10:00:03 UTC
Post by minya
Post by s.sturgis
I'm not into writing the same album twice.
Yeah, except for Shock Front and Blast Furnace. :)
[sarcasm]You know, you're right! I forgot, for example, the eastern
influences on Shock Front that make themselves blatantly clear to the
ear and the huge evolving structure which starts to incorporate
melody.[/sarcasm]

And you wonder why we don't get the artists posting here any more..
someone like you just jumps on them. I bet back in 2000 you were
saying how much of a step forward Blast Furnace was from Shock Front,
and now Converter has become an established artist that you can,
"shock horror", hear in clubs you were no doubt determined to dislike
the album before you got it.

In fact, if you disliked Shock Front and Blast Furnace so much, why
did you buy the damn album in the first place?

I personally cannot comment on exit ritual yet as I'm still waiting
for it to arrive but I'm going to give it a damn good listen and
without prejudice!
Locke
2003-11-03 15:09:11 UTC
Post by Keef
And you wonder why we don't get the artists posting here any more..
someone like you just jumps on them.
Very old, very lame and very wrong stereotype of criticism
in newsgroups - that it would drive artists away from the
discussion. In this case it even encouraged them since these
from Scott in several months.

And BTW, seeing your sarcastic reply I wonder if you even noticed
the smiley in minya's post ...

CU,
Locke

NP: Coil "Live Three"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
2003-11-03 19:11:05 UTC
Post by Locke
Post by Keef
And you wonder why we don't get the artists posting here any more..
someone like you just jumps on them.
Very old, very lame and very wrong stereotype of criticism
in newsgroups - that it would drive artists away from the
discussion. In this case it even encouraged them since these
from Scott in several months.
And BTW, seeing your sarcastic reply I wonder if you even noticed
the smiley in minya's post ...
And the response from Scott to that supposedly artist exorcism criticism.

Girl.
Drew
2003-11-03 21:29:51 UTC
Post by Locke
NP: Coil "Live Three"
Bologna, right? I like that one. Not on the level that I liked
MTPITD, especially volume II, but worth having nevertheless.

I also have Live I, but I think I'll draw the line at that!

Would be interested to hear your take...

Cheers,
Drew
minya
2003-11-04 02:29:45 UTC
Post by Drew
Would be interested to hear your take...
Cheers,
Drew
I'd be interested to hear other opinions of the "Live" series as well.
I'm not a diehard Coil fanatic, but I have been very fond of their
recent work: MTIPTD 1/2, Astral Disaster, Remote Viewer (thanks again
for this, Locke!), and the Equinox/Solstice discs spring to mind, but
these live discs come across as sort of a "cash-in" thing: did they
really need four of them?

How's the recording / audio quality? Is there any one disc that stands
above the others?
R.N.
2003-11-04 09:13:54 UTC
live 1: very ambient. double disc in the vein of and featuring the queens
material

live 2: good beginning but then starts in with the constant shallowness
material which is probably my least favorite album from coil.

live 3: very good, nice and dark. even broccolli gets more moody.

live 4: my favorite. lots of good song oriented material that we havent heard
yet.
proabably the best reason to get all of the live series is to hear the
progression of the song amethyst decievers which is spectacular (although i
would have liked to have had rose mcdowall do the vocals on at least one). as
far as my personal rankings go, id buy 4,3,1,2.

rn
Locke
2003-11-05 21:44:29 UTC
Please let me quote Drew...
|Locke <***@scientist.com> wrote in message news:<***@scientist.com>...
|> NP: Coil "Live Three"
|
| Bologna, right?

Correct.

| I like that one. Not on the level that I liked
|MTPITD, especially volume II, but worth having nevertheless.
|
| I also have Live I, but I think I'll draw the line at that!
|
| Would be interested to hear your take...

Well, I like all four of them, I think the live series is a good
showcase of the evolution that Coil's live set went through in the last
few years. I like the different interpretations of their tracks and, of
course, the yet unpublished or rare tracks, but then I am kind of a Coil
fanatic. For a casual listener I would always recommend any of the
studio recordings far more than the live series.

CU,
Locke

NP: The Caretaker "A Stairway to the Stars"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
minya
2003-11-04 00:52:01 UTC
Post by Locke
And BTW, seeing your sarcastic reply I wonder if you even noticed
the smiley in minya's post ...
I'm rather puzzled by this as well. Both Scott and Keef seem
unfortunately devoid of a sense of humor.

Oh well. It is Usenet, after all.
Keef
In my case, I'm just a lazy reader.
s.sturgis
2003-11-04 19:42:36 UTC
Post by minya
I'm rather puzzled by this as well. Both Scott and Keef seem
unfortunately devoid of a sense of humor.
Say something funny. Hell if I can tell when someone's being
sarcastic just because they tack a smiley onto the end of a sentence.
Whatever, it's not important.

-scott
mimus
2003-10-29 15:08:39 UTC
Post by Drew
Gridlock
I picked up one album by them a coupla years ago, and it was sooo
slooow and paiinnnfulll that "breathing" would hardly be the word
I'd've chosen to describe it.

I took it back.

--
np: Mark 13/Kinetic (yeah, right)
np for real: Haujobb/Polarity, Vertical Theory

_-FluX-_
2003-10-30 09:03:21 UTC
I actually quite like the new Tarmvred EP.
It seems much more melodic than his previous releases and the cheesy C64
music is done quite nicely.
Keef
2003-10-30 09:49:10 UTC
Post by Drew
Tarmvred EP - Not my cup of tea at all... Anyone have something nice
to say here?
Still waiting for formless and exit ritual to arrive...

The Tarmvred EP I enjoyed. I love the C64 sound so I was bound to. The
beats are fairly weak, but I think he shifted emphasis on this release
to the C64 sounds hence Viva 6581. However, since this was an EP with
an album coming out soon I would say this was released as a
"departure" from previous and future efforts.

But I'm guessing!
Drew
2003-10-30 14:22:29 UTC
Post by Keef
Still waiting for formless and exit ritual to arrive...
Yeah... I'm happy I got mine before Royal Mail pulled the fucking plug
on London! Not sure what's happening in the rest of the UK...

Cheers,
Drew
Keef
2003-10-31 10:18:44 UTC
Post by Drew
Post by Keef
Still waiting for formless and exit ritual to arrive...
Yeah... I'm happy I got mine before Royal Mail pulled the fucking plug
on London! Not sure what's happening in the rest of the UK...
You're joking!! The mail doesn't seem too bad in Leeds, a little
slower than usual, but that's it!

I'm off to London tomorrow for a mates party so I shall ask him then!
Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
2003-11-02 14:03:12 UTC
Post by Keef
Post by Drew
Post by Keef
Still waiting for formless and exit ritual to arrive...
Yeah... I'm happy I got mine before Royal Mail pulled the fucking plug
on London! Not sure what's happening in the rest of the UK...
You're joking!! The mail doesn't seem too bad in Leeds, a little
slower than usual, but that's it!
I'm off to London tomorrow for a mates party so I shall ask him then!
No post at all in London since Tuesday. And it's spreading. I've got loads of
fucking ebay stuff caught in the stoppage.

Girl.
Keef
2003-11-03 09:51:34 UTC
Post by Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
Post by Keef
I'm off to London tomorrow for a mates party so I shall ask him then!
No post at all in London since Tuesday. And it's spreading. I've got loads of
fucking ebay stuff caught in the stoppage.
I couldn't believe it when I saw postboxes with notices over them that
they couldn't be used.

Crazy!
Keef
2003-11-18 09:55:51 UTC
Post by Drew
A few random thoughts to see if someone's still breathing...
Converter - "Exit Ritual" -- This is just so damn enjoyable. The
label's right when they say there's some similarities to some classic
stuff. For some reason people keep wanting to say 'power electronics',
which is just false. Of course, it still has Converter written all
over it... especially in the rhythms. Enjoying it a lot more than the
last full length, which I listened to... maybe three times?
Now having had chance to listen to this I've got to say I really
enjoyed it. I can see the Brighter Death Now connection, but only as
an influence as this is still definitely a converter album. The one
thing that has changed is there is a lot more in the way of subdued
beats which works great for me. So for those who think it sounds like
BDN, I'd say you haven't really listened to it!