i think gira looks kind of ed gein
steve
2004-09-06 10:41:55 UTC
Here's the picture that brought it to my attention.

I saw a special on serial killers on A&E and I never noticed it until
I saw this picture. There's a picture of Gira that has him doing a
similar expression at a similar angle. I can't find it on the Swans
website. Someone has to agree, many more won't, that this guy looks
like this other guy. It makes sense that he would do a photo shot of
himself looking like a famous photo of a serial killer during their
early days.

Anyone have anything other than flames to offer?
Mr. Tangent
2004-09-07 02:41:49 UTC
http://killer.radom.net/~sermord/images/mordercy_GeinEd2.jpg
I saw a special on serial killers on A&E and I never noticed it until
I saw this picture. There's a picture of Gira that has him doing a
similar expression at a similar angle. I can't find it on the Swans
website. Someone has to agree, many more won't, that this guy looks
like this other guy. It makes sense that he would do a photo shot of
himself looking like a famous photo of a serial killer during their
early days.
Anyone have anything other than flames to offer?
Haha, he actually does:

Mr. Tangent [the binary police]

"Religion is a magic device for turning unanswerable
questions into unquestionable answers." -Art Gecko,
Wombat Discord-1, 128649

** to e-mail me take out the "FUNK" **
Ventolin
2004-09-08 01:24:23 UTC
Post by steve
Here's the picture that brought it to my attention.
http://killer.radom.net/~sermord/images/mordercy_GeinEd2.jpg
I saw a special on serial killers on A&E and I never noticed it until
I saw this picture. There's a picture of Gira that has him doing a
similar expression at a similar angle. I can't find it on the Swans
website. Someone has to agree, many more won't, that this guy looks
like this other guy. It makes sense that he would do a photo shot of
himself looking like a famous photo of a serial killer during their
early days.
Anyone have anything other than flames to offer?
http://swans.pair.com/PRESS/art_bostphoe.html
In this interview, he talks about being fascinated with serial killers:
"The first song I wrote about that, taking on the Ed Gein character [a
real serial killer who was the basis for Norman Bates in "Psycho"] was
'Young God,' which I wrote in '84. Because everybody has that potential. I
certainly know that it's in me to kill or sink that low. And by the time I
wrote 'Young God,' I'd been having these dreams where I'd killed somebody
close to me, murdered her. And I'd wake up thinking her body was dead beside
me.
I think this quote is also interesting:
"'Killing for Company' (on "The Great Annihilator") is the last song
I'll write from that point of view. It's based on a real guy who lived in
London and used to collect boys. He'd pick them up and take them home and
kill them-- mainly because he was lonely. He'd wash them, prop their dead
bodies up next to him to watch TV. Then he'd feel guilty and bury them under
the floorboards-- then get lonely again and dig them up. I guess he made
loved to them and eventually he'd eat them."