What's the deal with Martin Atkins?
vermin707
2003-07-29 19:25:59 UTC
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
Paul's penis is HELL, boy.
2003-07-29 19:39:26 UTC
Post by vermin707
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
offhand, i do know that on the last Meg Lee Chin release, he required a
co-writing credit (despite having no hand in the album), and charged her
fees for his studio that she did not use
--
np: nothin'

AIM: WhoKilledtheJAMs
dukncovr at kmfdm dot com
http://www.rit.edu/~pmy5192
http://fleischbackstein.iuma.com
http://brb.whereshitler.com

g4sm4sk: oh yes, according to the brb site,
you are going to be in the Electronic Music
Hall of Fame in Tamaqua, PA
Loki Ambrodious von Esling
2003-07-29 19:45:38 UTC
Post by Paul's penis is HELL, boy.
Post by vermin707
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
offhand, i do know that on the last Meg Lee Chin release, he required a
co-writing credit (despite having no hand in the album), and charged her
fees for his studio that she did not use
also: marty is a bitch in general
--
. \ ` ' / .
._` __^__ '_. Loki Ambridous von Esling
Justified
Sound Mirror
2003-07-29 20:43:08 UTC
Post by vermin707
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
offhand, i do know that on the last Meg Lee Chin release, he required a
co-writing credit (despite having no hand in the album), and charged her
fees for his studio that she did not use
also: marty is a bitch in general
in that case, why did you suggest the people email complaints to the ISP of
that guy who posted a comic of marty literally fucking someone? isn't that
imposing on free speech?
Loki Ambrodious von Esling
2003-07-29 21:58:14 UTC
Post by vermin707
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
offhand, i do know that on the last Meg Lee Chin release, he required a
co-writing credit (despite having no hand in the album), and charged her
fees for his studio that she did not use
also: marty is a bitch in general
in that case, why did you suggest the people email complaints to the ISP of
that guy who posted a comic of marty literally fucking someone? isn't that
imposing on free speech?
Becuase it's trolling, spam, and not also poorly drawn?
--
. \ ` ' / .
._` __^__ '_. Loki Ambridous von Esling
Justified
Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
2003-07-29 19:54:38 UTC
Post by vermin707
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
Quite a few, but AFAIK, legal action is still pending in the Psychic TV case
over non-payment of royalties and the release of "Origin of the Species III"
without permission and using material not even owned by PTV on it, so people
are somewhat tight-lipped for the moment (myself included). Suffice it to say,
the likes of Lee from Sheep on Drugs have a lot to say that would probably end
me up in court if I published it. It's probably safe to pass on the advice I
received from another aggrieved party, if you're doing anything with
Invisible, make sure you get an advance.

Girl.
Paul's penis is HELL, boy.
2003-07-29 21:03:21 UTC
Post by Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
Post by vermin707
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
Quite a few, but AFAIK, legal action is still pending in the Psychic TV case
over non-payment of royalties and the release of "Origin of the Species III"
without permission and using material not even owned by PTV on it, so people
are somewhat tight-lipped for the moment (myself included). Suffice it to say,
the likes of Lee from Sheep on Drugs have a lot to say that would probably end
me up in court if I published it. It's probably safe to pass on the advice I
received from another aggrieved party, if you're doing anything with
Invisible, make sure you get an advance.
Girl.
actually, now that you reminded me, marty never paid GPO for any of the
PTV stuff that Invisible released, not just OotS3

Hall of Fame in Tamaqua, PA
Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
2003-07-29 22:04:16 UTC
Post by Paul's penis is HELL, boy.
Post by Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
Quite a few, but AFAIK, legal action is still pending in the Psychic TV case
over non-payment of royalties and the release of "Origin of the Species III"
without permission and using material not even owned by PTV on it, so people
are somewhat tight-lipped for the moment (myself included). Suffice it to say,
the likes of Lee from Sheep on Drugs have a lot to say that would probably end
me up in court if I published it. It's probably safe to pass on the advice I
received from another aggrieved party, if you're doing anything with
Invisible, make sure you get an advance.
actually, now that you reminded me, marty never paid GPO for any of the
PTV stuff that Invisible released, not just OotS3
If you reread, that's what I said, (issue 1) no royalties paid and (issue 2)
the release of "OotS3". Issue 2 is an issue because they'd already started
action against Invisible over issue, thus withdrawing all rights to their
material making any release of "OotS3" a bootleg.

Girl.
Paul's penis is HELL, boy.
2003-07-30 00:37:15 UTC
Post by Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
If you reread, that's what I said, (issue 1) no royalties paid and (issue 2)
the release of "OotS3". Issue 2 is an issue because they'd already started
action against Invisible over issue, thus withdrawing all rights to their
material making any release of "OotS3" a bootleg.
Girl.
d'oh, sorry
i was barely awake when i first read usenet today

Hall of Fame in Tamaqua, PA
all this sorrow becomes me
2003-07-30 06:43:25 UTC
Girl the Bourgeois Individualist is a broken toy, for a lonely
Post by vermin707
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
Quite a few, but AFAIK, legal action is still pending in the
Psychic TV case
Post by Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
over non-payment of royalties and the release of "Origin of the Species III"
without permission and using material not even owned by PTV on it, so people
are somewhat tight-lipped for the moment (myself included). Suffice it to say,
the likes of Lee from Sheep on Drugs have a lot to say that would probably end
me up in court if I published it. It's probably safe to pass on the advice I
received from another aggrieved party, if you're doing anything with
Invisible, make sure you get an advance.
Sad. I like some of the projects on that label, but I refuse to put
my money out for someone who's gonna fuck the artists, especially in
a scene as small as this. Sadly, it probably goes on a hell of a lot
more than anyone ever hears of...
--
candle
mhm27x19 ICQ#34579920 AIM:zantetsuken76
http://www.brokentoyforalonelygirl.tk
JF LoVe
2003-07-30 05:54:42 UTC
Post by vermin707
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
November 18, 2001 - Preaching to the Perverted Tour
Montreal, QC, Foufounes Electriques

After letting Godhead and Gravity Kills played their set, Atkins went
on the stage and tell the crowd the Pigface show is cancelled because
the promoter don't want to pay them. Then, Atkins suggest to the crowd
to destroy the club and break everything. What a loser! Nobody destroy
anything. The 'Foufounes' club host concerts for more than 20 years
and i saw hundreads of shows there.
Because of a conflict between Atkins and the promoter, Pigface never
played and we didn't get a refund for the ticket. Since that day, i
sold all my Pigface CDs and never i will buy anything that is
Pigface/Invisible related. That guy don't deserve my money.
sounds of mass production
2003-07-30 13:48:32 UTC
SMP quit the label. I've been through 4 labels now, the next CD
"Crimes of the Future" will probably be bankrolled by SMP itself.
Artists need to cut out all these middlemen.
jason
X Tyris
2003-07-30 17:19:22 UTC
Here are the things I know of...

1. Dylan from Chemlab had a suit against Invisible for re-releasing the Chemlab
material without permission, or even informing him.

2. They offer bands contracts that request upwards of 7 records. That is
illegal in California, where the music industry is king, but it is apparently
ok in Chicago. This is likely why you see so many bands dropping re-releases on
invisible.

3. He basically indentured Meg Lee Chin.

4. Look at Thee Notes contracts.

5. Sheep On Drugs blame Martin almost solely for ruining their career.

6. Not Breathing filed suit against invisible for getting repeatedly fucked
over.

7. Genesis + a bunch of other artists filed a joint suit regarding unauthorized
releases.

8. The Invisible office chick Kim quit because apparently Martin is a verbally
abusive asshole to work with.

http://megleechin.com/board/showthread.php?s=eb3c666a11a2d164804791ad4b49d
12f&threadid=442

http://megleechin.com/board/announcement.php?s=eb3c666a11a2d164804791ad4b4
9d12f&forumid=44

allright, that is off the top of my head... and obviously there are plenty of
details I have no idea about. Maybe Martin will cover it in his book. heh heh.

eric
Sound Mirror
2003-07-31 21:28:12 UTC
can see Invisible/Underground Inc. becoming the next 5th Column, which
is obviously the last thing this scene needs.
What went wrong with 5th Colvm? I think they died somewhere around the time
I started getting into this kind of music..
Sound Mirror
2003-07-31 21:44:05 UTC
watch out.. judging from the auction description, it looks like somebody's
head is going to explode:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23784&item=2546871365
vermin707
2003-08-01 21:01:03 UTC
Post by Sound Mirror
can see Invisible/Underground Inc. becoming the next 5th Column, which
is obviously the last thing this scene needs.
What went wrong with 5th Colvm? I think they died somewhere around the time
I started getting into this kind of music..
Well, 5th Column basically was run into the ground by the owner(who,
contrary to popular belief was not Jared of Chemlab). They had a
hard time getting stuff out, and all money went into pockets not sewn
onto the pants of the band members, producers, etc. At least that's
the story as I know it. I'm sure someone reading this knows plenty
more than I do.
Armitage-VI
2003-07-30 13:29:17 UTC
Post by vermin707
I've heard alot of people talking trash these days about Martin Atkins
screwing people over on contracts, but I know no specifics. Anyone
out there know of, or have any personal horror stories about dealing
w/Martin/Invisible(Jason of SMP, perhaps)?
Well I'm not trashing Martin as a person, becuase I
really don't know him, and I've only talked to him on a few
occassions. but I know that Meg Lee Chin was completly done with
Martin and Invisible and I've heard it for a LOOOONG time from various
people that signing with Martin is a dead end deal. I can't speak for
Jason't experience but I know that SMP has been pretty self sufficient
for a long time now and then Jason prbably thought that signing with
Invisible would help boost SMP and get some good tour dates etc which
I don't think is what happened...

From my experience I'm not blaming Invisble or Martin for
anything, personally but I will say that I left my former band AFTER
we signed to Invisible, which alot of it was ego, and just a lack of
friendship, anyway from my experience here's what I've had:

-Notes From Thee Real Underground, sounds like a cool Idea, BUT since
the first one ,this has become a "Pay for Play" CD of unknown bands. I
remember talking to Martin after the Preaching to the Perverted
concert and from his mouth came the words "Pay for Play is Bullshit"
and I think it was when Notes III came out that was a $100.00 fee to
be on the CD?(and that's just a submission that doesn't even garuntee
that you are on it) So in the end it just became a play for play in
hopes that you "might" get a deal with Invisible

-Getting Signed to Invisible, okay when this happen the only person
who's name was on the contract was our singer's. Now I'm not saying
that was Martin's idea BUT he certainly seemed interested in just her.
So we get signedand Martin is gonna produce our album Yay!!!!. All of
a sudden we have to pay this Engineering Fee?!?!?!! We had to pay
somthing like $1,500.00 to get the album Engineered? What really
turned sour is my Current Band mate Ben and I put more money into the
Engineering fee than anyone else in the band. So we had to Actually
PAY to have Martin Produce, and release the album. Needless to say the
two guys that put the most money into this have both sense left the
band.

-Invisible was REALLY only interested in our singer, so I don't blame
Martin or anyone for that, but the singer pretty much became a
Invisible Nazi, which means she was selling out her own bandmates over
people from Invisible and then the whole "we're a band" attitude sort
of went out the door, when it was pretty much like Invisible would say
jump, and she would say How high? and then any concerns within the
band feel upon deaf ears.

-Remix album, So then Invisible wanted to put out a "remix" album,
which SOUNDS like a great Idea, It was my job to send in a list of
remixers that i'd like to see remixes by, so I had people like Android
Lust, Gridlock, Susan Wallace, etc... And of course none of the artist
on my list were asked, instead it was the same 10 artist that are on
the roster for Invisible right now. Which to me is kinda not very
interesting, I mean okay for Every release that comes out you have the
same ten bands remix on everyone's remix album?. In all honesty there
was only like three remixes that we even liked, so we didn't want to
have this remix album come out, Then of course Martin is saying we
HAVE TO pay the remixers? So WE HAVE TO PAY for a remix album that we
didn't even care about???

-Touring: I put my entire life on hold and thank god my girl and job
are cool, because when we did the U.S. Tour is was basically 6 weeks
of not getting paid. I'm an adult and I have a house payment, bills,
etc. I'm not 18 waiting to be a rock star. Soooo the band had to buy
their own fucking Bus. So the singer and guitarist buy this bus, we go
on tour, I fucking LOVE Buzz McKoy and Ruth McArdle, because if it
wasn't for them I wouldn't have made jack shit on that tour, So my
label doesn't pay us, and then I get paid by the other artist to be a
DJ for someone else's band. WTF? So in the end the only money I ever
got paid while doing all this was from Mars and Ruthie.

-Name dropping, I honestly despise how labels use the "name dropping"
instead of the actual talent. Of course Martin does the Pigface thing,
but I don't think that means on every single release they need to say
"this guy from this band, and featuring this cat from that band,
etc"..

- Waving the Carrot in front of the Rabbit. I REALLY think that
explains the experience with Invisible, it was like all these false
promises that will pay off(after you pay more money), well I never saw
any payload of any kind, what I ended up seeing was bandmates
constantly bitching at each other, dumping your every dime into
promotion etc, I could own a fucking full Studio with all the money I
dropped on that deal and band.

In the end I had no interest to make music with those people
anymore, and I had to get away from them so I could still respect
them, But if you call spending everyday of your life riding around in
a bus playing shows for little to no money, or being a socialite with
some guy who use to be in some band that was good ten years ago, then
more power to ya, I however LOVE making electronic music, I like my
job, I like my life, and I guess I'm not punk rock enough to want to
spend my life chasing some distant dream.

Anyway in the end I'm happy I'm working on new music with
Ben, I'm working on remixes for people, I'm getting ready to work with
some amazing vocalist, so I don't blame Martin or Invisible for
anything, but I do think they were apart of the situation, and all of
this isn't anything new, I mean I've heard things from just about
everybody from Ogre, to Meg, to Lee Fraiser..

I will say though As a Music FAN, and outside of the
business side of things, I have very much enjoyed some of the releases
the Invisible has put out like LoLo, Defragmentation. Dead Voices On
Air, Meg Lee Chin, and a few others, so if anything I think they've
got a pretty decent ear for some cool stuff.

Just my Experience,
David
NP: C17H19NO3 "Terra Null"
syncromesh.net
Freizeitknast
2003-08-01 23:08:55 UTC
<< Subject: Re: What's the deal with Martin Atkins?
From: ***@relapsecult.com (vermin707)
Date: Thu, Jul 31, 2003 3:46 PM

I started to question his integrity when I started seeing things like
auctioning off a remix by Martin. If he honestly just wanted to help
jump start a career, he would have just raffled it off or something. >>

*snip*

Not sure if anyone remembers this, but he was SUPPOSED to do one for free. They
were holding a "contest" on their website where anyone could submit a track on
CD and he'd pick his favorite and remix it. Never happened, though. Then a few
months later they started posting the auctions for his "remixing services."