Negativland
mimus
2006-04-24 21:49:16 UTC
_Escape from Noise_ irritated Hell outa me, although a respectable enough
release (I guess), due to the shortness of the tracks (I think the average
length was about one minute), while the EP _Guns_ was great and polished
stuff, very unlike _EfN_.

So, did they ever do any full releases of more polished and complex stuff?

They seem to still be around.
.sigzip:*
Locke
2006-04-25 10:17:26 UTC
Please let me quote mimus...

|_Escape from Noise_ irritated Hell outa me, although a respectable enough
|release (I guess), due to the shortness of the tracks (I think the average
|length was about one minute), while the EP _Guns_ was great and polished
|stuff, very unlike _EfN_.

Well, the tracks on "Escape from Noise" were short, that's correct, but not
that short. Average length is 2 minutes and 20 seconds. But let's not
forget that the sampling in this release was still edited by splicing tape,
a rather laborious process.

|So, did they ever do any full releases of more polished and complex stuff?

I'd recommend you try "Free" or "Dispepsi".

|They seem to still be around.

Yes, they are.

CU,
Locke

NP: Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel "Hole"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
| | / \ / _/| |/ /| _| / @ @ \
| |__| || || |_ | \ | _| (| \ |)
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |

mimus
2006-04-25 09:51:45 UTC
Post by Locke
Please let me quote mimus...
|_Escape from Noise_ irritated Hell outa me, although a respectable enough
|release (I guess), due to the shortness of the tracks (I think the average
|length was about one minute), while the EP _Guns_ was great and polished
|stuff, very unlike _EfN_.
Well, the tracks on "Escape from Noise" were short, that's correct, but not
that short. Average length is 2 minutes and 20 seconds.
<snort>

It still twinges. Not that, for example, that nice (and somewhat longer)
bonging "Soviet time-zone" piece wasn't, well, funny.
Post by Locke
But let's not
forget that the sampling in this release was still edited by splicing tape,
a rather laborious process.
<appalled>

Whatever happened to sound-on-sound?
Post by Locke
|So, did they ever do any full releases of more polished and complex stuff?
I'd recommend you try "Free" or "Dispepsi".
Will look.
Post by Locke
|They seem to still be around.
Yes, they are.
Thank you.
.sigzip:*
mimus
2006-04-25 10:14:37 UTC
Post by mimus
Please let me quote mimus...
Post by Locke
|So, did they ever do any full releases of more polished and complex stuff?
I'd recommend you try "Free" or "Dispepsi".
Will look.
Hmm. _Guns_ was '92 . . . .

I note, looking at

http://www.negativland.com/negdisco_detail.html

that few of their releases seem to be, er, straight in the sense of sober
or untwisted, at least in song title, and likely in lyric, somewhat in the
fashion of Zappa, or even Captain Beefheart.
.sigzip:*
j***@hexduxhmp.org
2006-04-25 19:12:05 UTC
Post by Locke
Well, the tracks on "Escape from Noise" were short, that's correct, but not
that short. Average length is 2 minutes and 20 seconds. But let's not
forget that the sampling in this release was still edited by splicing tape,
a rather laborious process.
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?

Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
mimus
2006-04-25 20:42:42 UTC
Post by j***@hexduxhmp.org
Post by Locke
Well, the tracks on "Escape from Noise" were short, that's correct, but not
that short. Average length is 2 minutes and 20 seconds. But let's not
forget that the sampling in this release was still edited by splicing tape,
a rather laborious process.
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?
Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
Where are everyone's considered reviews of their most beloved (or hated)
releases, dammit?
.sigzip:*
t.o.t.s.
2006-04-26 04:34:23 UTC
Just another recommendation of "Dispepsi" here. Cool recording. I saw them
live a few years back... creative show. I'd recommend catching them if they
tour again.
Dachar
2006-04-26 04:44:43 UTC
Post by j***@hexduxhmp.org
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?
Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
I have not even bothered to looked on rmi for a good many years until
recently and was shocked at the lack of posts. Has it become a casualty of
MySpace?

Dachar
INDUSTRIAL BIBLE
electro / industrial webzine
www.industrial-bible.com
LV GRID
2006-04-26 05:52:38 UTC
Post by Dachar
Post by j***@hexduxhmp.org
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?
Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
I have not even bothered to looked on rmi for a good many years until
recently and was shocked at the lack of posts. Has it become a casualty of
MySpace?
Dachar
INDUSTRIAL BIBLE
electro / industrial webzine
www.industrial-bible.com
Usenet as a whole has died down hasn't it? Except for rec.music.hiphop
which has too many posts to even read. Everything's been replaced by
php message boards or, like you said, myspace. I dunno if it's really
anything I'd mourn over though. I like myspace. heheh.
--
LV GRID
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
http://www.lvgrid.com
mimus
2006-04-26 06:14:08 UTC
Post by LV GRID
Post by Dachar
Post by j***@hexduxhmp.org
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?
Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
I have not even bothered to looked on rmi for a good many years until
recently and was shocked at the lack of posts. Has it become a casualty of
MySpace?
Dachar
INDUSTRIAL BIBLE
electro / industrial webzine
www.industrial-bible.com
Usenet as a whole has died down hasn't it?
No, the other groups are doing well. Even too well (trolls).
Post by LV GRID
Except for rec.music.hiphop
which has too many posts to even read. Everything's been replaced by
php message boards or, like you said, myspace. I dunno if it's really
anything I'd mourn over though. I like myspace. heheh.
I think rmi was sliding before myspace was ever thought of.

There was something of a long discussion of the subject in September of
'03, when there were still enough regulars active to discuss it.
.sigzip:*
Per
2006-05-03 03:42:47 UTC
Post by Dachar
Post by j***@hexduxhmp.org
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?
Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
I have not even bothered to looked on rmi for a good many years until
recently and was shocked at the lack of posts. Has it become a casualty of
MySpace?
Or Livejournal. And message boards. Myspace too.
--
Per - navian*comcast*net
mhm 24x23 icq: 6047688
mimus
2006-05-03 16:45:18 UTC
Post by Per
Post by Dachar
Post by j***@hexduxhmp.org
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?
Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
I have not even bothered to looked on rmi for a good many years until
recently and was shocked at the lack of posts. Has it become a casualty of
MySpace?
Or Livejournal. And message boards. Myspace too.
It's just too difficult to download and install a free newsreader, I guess.
Let there be throbbing.
Per
2006-05-03 23:33:33 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by Per
Post by Dachar
Post by j***@hexduxhmp.org
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?
Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
I have not even bothered to looked on rmi for a good many years until
recently and was shocked at the lack of posts. Has it become a casualty of
MySpace?
Or Livejournal. And message boards. Myspace too.
It's just too difficult to download and install a free newsreader, I guess.
Hey, the masses want cam-whores. lol
--
Per - navian*comcast*net
mhm 24x23 icq: 6047688
mimus
2006-05-04 01:12:00 UTC
Post by Per
Post by mimus
Post by Per
Post by Dachar
Post by j***@hexduxhmp.org
What the hell? You two are actually providing signal instead of noise?
Didn't you know that is *soooo* out of style here?
Heh, I think this is the first *real* thread I've seen here in a few
years.
I have not even bothered to looked on rmi for a good many years until
recently and was shocked at the lack of posts. Has it become a casualty of
MySpace?
Or Livejournal. And message boards. Myspace too.
It's just too difficult to download and install a free newsreader, I guess.
Hey, the masses want cam-whores. lol
I'm pretty sure there'll be a cam-whore group somewhere in the abme* or
abpe* hierarchies.
--
Let there be throbbing.