what is industrial
dr. richard
2006-07-10 00:08:55 UTC
I am interested if anyone can hip me to what idustrial music is and
some good xamples so I can go check it out.

Thanks.

dr. richart
mimus
2006-07-10 02:09:33 UTC
Post by dr. richard
I am interested if anyone can hip me to what idustrial music is and
some good xamples so I can go check it out.
Um, there's an "early" v. "late" thingie over at least a thirty-year
span-- even more if you want to discuss the tape boys and the "musique
concrete" crowd of the '40s and the synthesizer types wot I don't even
know when they started, although I'm sure Moog wasn't the first and the
originals were probably '50s and tube-driven-- and a later branching out
of many confusingly-overlapping genres.

So we're borked before we begin.

Maybe Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_industrial_music_subgenres
Let there be throbbing.
mimus
2006-07-12 02:56:56 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by dr. richard
I am interested if anyone can hip me to what idustrial music is and
some good xamples so I can go check it out.
Um, there's an "early" v. "late" thingie over at least a thirty-year
span-- even more if you want to discuss the tape boys and the "musique
concrete" crowd of the '40s and the synthesizer types wot I don't even
know when they started, although I'm sure Moog wasn't the first and the
originals were probably '50s and tube-driven-- and a later branching out
of many confusingly-overlapping genres.
So we're borked before we begin.
Maybe Wikipedia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_industrial_music_subgenres
But having cleverly evaded any workload above, I would make a pitch for
the following electro-EBM blocks:

Heavy Water Factory/Author of Pain (1997) (Energy Records)/"Alone",
"Strange", "Connected", "The Individual", "Revenge" and "Vampire" (26:33)

and

Skinny Puppy/ Rabies (1989) (Nettwerk)/ "Rodent", "Hexonxonx", "Amputate",
"Rivers", "Worlock" and "Two Time Grime" (30:50)

are nice introductions to the (sub-)genre with crossover appeal to rock
fans.

Electro Assassin/ The Divine Invasion (1995) (Cyber-Tec/SPV/Synthetic
Symphony)/ "Bodyhammer", "Voyager", "Dreamweb" and "Beyond Salvation"
(26:35)

and

Haujobb/ Solutions for a Small Planet (1996) (Metropolis/ Offbeat)/
"The Cage Complex", ("Nature's Interface",) "Depths", "Distance" and
"Clockwise" (21:13 (26:25))

are each beautiful in their own way, the first polished, polyrhythmic,
powerful, rock-like, symphonic, the second more austere, although "The
Cage Complex" is as lush as one could want (I usually repeat it at the end
of the block nowadays).

And

Skinny Puppy/ Too Dark Park (1990) (Nettwerk)/ "Tormentor", "Grave
Wisdom", "Rash Reflection", "Shore Lined Poison" and "Nature's Revenge"
(20:34)

is what I consider the type block of the genre, harsh, uncompromising
and powerful, finally relenting with the dark beauty of "Nature's Revenge".

Enjoy.
--
Let there be throbbing.