Any experience with Van Richter Records?
Kevin Kuehl
2003-09-07 22:14:22 UTC

I am pretty new to industrial music having only discovered it by the Van
Richter Records stream on my iTunes.

I really like the stuff on their stream and I am thinking about ordering
some CDs. Does anyone have experience with ordering from them? Are
they trust worthy and dependable?

If there are other groups and/or labels I should look at to expand my
horizons, I would really appreciate the pointers.

Thanks a bunch,
--
Kevin Kuehl
mailto:***@ktlx.net
http://www.ktlx.net
moron
2003-09-08 01:11:43 UTC
Post by Kevin Kuehl
I really like the stuff on their stream and I am thinking about ordering
some CDs. Does anyone have experience with ordering from them? Are
they trust worthy and dependable?
I'll spare you the history of the label (do a search if you want to revel in
the sordid drama of it all) but if that's your kind of thang I'd probably
recommend checking out crazy Tommy's label and distro DSBP:

http://www.dsbp.cx/

Similar thematic choices but where as Van Richter is pretty much dead (how
many new releases in the last 5 years for example), Tommy is reasonably
active and supportive of the scene in general.

Also check out Badger's label synchromesh:

http://syncromesh.net/

Similar aesthetics but again, an active supporter of the "scene".

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label) http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com
---> Whomever dies with the most URLs wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xcog
2003-09-11 03:34:26 UTC
Post by moron
Post by Kevin Kuehl
I really like the stuff on their stream and I am thinking about ordering
some CDs. Does anyone have experience with ordering from them? Are
they trust worthy and dependable?
I'll spare you the history of the label (do a search if you want to revel in
the sordid drama of it all) but if that's your kind of thang I'd probably
http://www.dsbp.cx/
amen to that one! definitely check out DSBP, as this label has got
some of the best stuff you'll ever hear. And not only is the quality
of this music awesome, the price is extremely reasonable, and Tommy is
one of the most trustworthy and dependable people around.
Post by moron
Similar thematic choices but where as Van Richter is pretty much dead (how
many new releases in the last 5 years for example), Tommy is reasonably
active and supportive of the scene in general.
http://syncromesh.net/
Synchromesh is another great one. I highly recommend getting
compilations from record labels, as it's a great way to see what bands
you like. Both of these labels have some awesome comps out there.

Another great label is Cop Int'l:

http://www.copint.com

But I think everyone else has summed it up great. Check the links
provided (Industrial Nation alone could keep you busy for weeks!) and
see what you find. Keep checking out online streams (Cyberage is
definitely a great place to go for some excellent music, there's also
a humble little show I run - http://www.djizmusic.com...sorry for the
self-promotion folks...) and see what the DJs are playing.

Basically just keeping your ears and eyes peeled will net you tons of
great bands to listen to. There's so much amazing stuff out there,
and the sad thing is you'll probably never hear half of it.

Luke
Post by moron
Similar aesthetics but again, an active supporter of the "scene".
Cheers
DJ I.Z.
http://www.djizmusic.com

Veni Vidi Exii
2003-09-09 00:10:22 UTC
Kevin Kuehl <***@ktlx.net> wrote in news:kevin-***@central.giganews.com:

<snip re: Van Richter>
Post by Kevin Kuehl
I really like the stuff on their stream and I am thinking
about ordering some CDs. Does anyone have experience with
ordering from them? Are they trust worthy and dependable?
Not really, no. You'll end up on his spam lists for life. The
guy who runs Van Richter has a general history of screwing with
people, too. A good number of his bands have their albums out
on European labels, too. Track down the imports, you can
probably find them for the same price. Save yourself the
hassle.
--
-Chris
"The 80s sucked in the 80s, and they still suck now."
-Shakey Mo Collier
Kevin Kuehl
2003-09-09 00:24:09 UTC
Post by Veni Vidi Exii
<snip re: Van Richter>
Post by Kevin Kuehl
I really like the stuff on their stream and I am thinking
about ordering some CDs. Does anyone have experience with
ordering from them? Are they trust worthy and dependable?
Not really, no. You'll end up on his spam lists for life. The
guy who runs Van Richter has a general history of screwing with
people, too. A good number of his bands have their albums out
on European labels, too. Track down the imports, you can
probably find them for the same price. Save yourself the
hassle.
Thanks for the replies. I never thought to Google them.
--
Kevin Kuehl
mailto:***@ktlx.net
http://www.ktlx.net
Cable
2003-09-09 04:55:52 UTC
Post by Kevin Kuehl
I am pretty new to industrial music having only discovered it by the Van
Richter Records stream on my iTunes.
It is unfortunate that Van Richter was your intro, but at least you
got into it!
Post by Kevin Kuehl
Does anyone have experience with ordering from them? Are
they trust worthy and dependable?
Heh, wellllll, stay the fuck away from Van Richter. That's the best
advice that anybody can give you.
Post by Kevin Kuehl
If there are other groups and/or labels I should look at to expand my
horizons, I would really appreciate the pointers.
Although I have been having trouble logging onto the site for a while,
Industrial Nation is a big barrel of information-
http://industrialnation.com/index2.html

If you want to check out some great streaming audio, and get
introduced to EVERYTHING that's new, with a mix of some older trax,
definately check out Tommy T's show at
http://www.cyberage.cx, and check out the links to DSBP for mailorder.

One of the biggest labels around right now would be Metropolis
http://www.metropolis-records.com/. They've got some samples up on
most of their band pages.