KMFDM in SF Oct. 28th [Thoughts]
Arbitrator
2006-10-31 00:57:16 UTC
I attended the KMFDM show at the Mezzanine over the weekend.

I haven't been a fan of KMFDM after Adios. Perhaps it's a coincidence,
but they started sucking after En Esch and Guenter Schulz left (a
connection I made after WWIII, so don't think I'm biased toward that
conclusion).

Anyway, I attended their WWIII tour and hated it. I love PIG and I
would attend a show just for him. But even his performance is not worth
the drudgery that is most KMFDM songs, the strange drunken-wobbling of
Lucia, and old man Konietzko screaming political platitudes at people
half his age. Plus, I can't stand the goth scene and all the
bat-shitting associated with it. So I'd decided never to attend a KMFDM
show again.

A friend of mine introduced me to Jack Daniels and got me to change my
mind. Boy, do I regret it. The Mezzanine bar is extremely overpriced,
with weak drinks (yes, even for a bar). The opening acts just WOULD NOT
END, and my friends and I had lost our motivation to be there by the
time KMFDM took the stage at 12:30.

The cacophony of sound (this isn't a complaint about the loudness, but
rather of the muddiness) produced by KMFDM made every single song sound
the same. It was only by choruses that I could identify "DIY,"
"Terror," "More & Faster," and "Hau Ruck." Generally, the appeal of
live shows is seeing artists PERFORM and experiencing the music as they
intended it; unfortunately, this show could have been recreated by
blasting a CD through an early-90s boombox.

Needless to say, I left early (a first for me). I won't go to another
KMFDM show. I mean it this time.

Save yourself $20 and skip this tour.
SpongeBobFL
2006-10-31 12:42:55 UTC
Yep... KMFDM is sort of a mess. I agree with pretty much everything you
said.

House Of Blues and Hard Rock Live took over Central Florida so we no longer
stand around until 12:30 waiting for a gig to start. They do a pretty good
job of getting the main band on the bill on stage at 9. Latest show I ever
attended was Alien Sex Fiend who went on stage at close to 1am...
Brett Banditelli
2006-11-02 13:43:05 UTC
Post by SpongeBobFL
Yep... KMFDM is sort of a mess. I agree with pretty much everything you
said.
Well ive been a fan for like 8 years, and i loved the show- even though
combichrist is pretty much unlistenable at home they had great energy
live and it was really fun- the singer was too much like bryan erickson
tho, but it was still really fun

and to enjyo a kmfdm show you really gotta be there to be a part ov the
audience, if youre not there for the community, then you wont like it