Got funk? Mix it w/ fiber-optic Noiz, and Industrial bliss!
Jett Black
2004-11-05 21:21:13 UTC
DIE WARZAU

--> Convenience <--

Reviewed below by JETT BLACK, SickAmongthePure.com! (Editor-in-Chief)

As "Crusader" spins in the background, slowly moving through the
shadows, Die Warzau creeps into a mood influenced by a funky beat. The
more one tunes into the lyrics, the more one will be drawn into this
intellectual groove that Die Warzau brings to us now. A full ten years
separates Convenience from Engine, an earlier sibling in the diverse
(and all but dysfunctional) Die Warzau discography.

By the time I realise that we have shifted onward and that we are
well into "Go, Going, Gone" (the next track), I know already that I am
hooked! "Permission" recesses the pace to wash more passively a
stronger message that we all will explore and consume with an ironic
sense of elation, comfort, and certain bliss. And then, quick as
blinking, "Radiation Babies" oscillates left and right, which makes me
want to find a new oasis upon the dance floor. Make no mistake! Die
Warzau will override your inhibitions, and you will feel the groove.
Your hips will most definitely begin to sway.

Diving into "Glare" gives me, in a blinding flash, impressions of
what it must be like to sit and receive oral history (in verse) as if
delivered by George Clinton. "Got funk?"

But wait? Are we seriously getting funky? Are we moving away from
the well-worn path of EBM/Industrial? Believe it or not, Die Warzau
didn't just launch from home and forget to bring along the gear.
Prove it? Okay. Now Seeking "Bliss"? You bet you are! A mixture of
tweeking noise, the line-assembly crunch of the guitars, the drunken
swagger of the Stone Temple Pilots, infiltrated by a subterranean
expanse of squeals, sirens, and staccato. Move with haste into the
firey blaze of "Linoleum". The same vocal elegance threads like sweet
honey into the alter-ego of caustic rage which intercedes like an
opposing argument as if presented by Al Jorgensen.

Do you like Techno? Do you like Industrial bliss? Do you get a
hard-on for fiber-optic Noise?

Do you like to dance? Do you enjoy the hooks straining through
modern Pop music?

Can you do more than dance? Does driven and intelligent conversation
make you wet?

Then, you're going to simply love this one: "As We Are So We Are".

So, whose names actually appear on this new album, anyway? Let's
find out!

A list of contributors includes:

Chris Connelly, Sanyung Cho, Chris Greene, Chris Morford, Louis
Svitek, J.C. Stokes, Ted Cho, Kevin Temple, Mars Williams, Biff
Blumfengagne, James Wooley, Rick Dody, Jason McNinch, Matt Warren,
Marydee Reynolds, Andre Filardo, Marcel Henderson, Matt Marcoto, Zoƫ
McKenzie, and Vinnie Signorelli.

Additional support (Mastering of Convenience) provided by Tom Coyne
at Sterling Sound, NY.

Very impressive!

Tracks such as "Superbuick" and "Curious" leave me stunned.

"Superbuick" has me low-riding in time slowly back and down to the
cruising corner lot where everyone convenes their million dollar
hobbies and struts about like brilliant birds. Hours later, with this
song in perpetual motion, the ride with my old crew back into the
'hood never felt as good then as I tend to remember it right now!

"Curious" has me melting into the opium den of "HELL" alongside
Johnny Depp. The eerie power of this music to transport my mind (and
creep me the fuck out) I've felt only once before with another
favourite band that too few people even know about. Oneiroid
Psychosis is the closest comparison I could possibly make to describe
the "to the hilt" chill factor sunk (like Excalibur) into "Curious".

And then, "WOP!" Die warzau next hits me over the head with "Gone
Chemical" -- an instant club hit! No other description does anything
but delay the point! Have you "gone chemical"? Get into it!

Idle back. Stop. Smell the roses. Breathe deeply.

The operative track title here is known as, "Kleen". Circle the
campfire girls. (This when your arms romantically embrace the one
you're with!) "Kleen" is like an interlude between "acts" in a
Shakespearean assault upon the modern world of dance.

Cue the gunfire and short range missiles. The undisputed "King of
Rock and Roll" has taken the stage, mic in hand. Urban violence
unleashes a trigger-signal to Alien invades, now descending like the
Vampire Lestat, alighting to center stage, the dark electronic
screaming between clenched teeth becomes and deafening roar of
digitally disturbed audio pulsations until the plug (pulled) forces
the record slow, warble, and stutter to a complete stop.

"And on the third day..." Die Warzau rose again, and began singing,
"Come as you are... We can be superstars!"

"If I were to rule the world..." I'll tell you what I would do... I
would find a way to do a Peter Frampton, and have Die Warzau delivered
into every household. With the power of Convenience (truly inspired
new music), all the world would speak with a vibe that even I could
understand.

(Additional comments at SickAmongthePure.com!)
http://www.sickamongthepure.com/files/2004/10/DieWarzauReview/DieWarzauReview.html

PLAY lo-fi: dial-up
PLAY HI-FI MP3 hi-fi: broadband

Click the link (below) to hear your song selections in lo-fi MP3
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/diewarzau/from/jettblack

1. Crusaders
2. Go Going Gone
*3. Permission
*4. Radiation Babies
*5. Glare
6. Bliss
7. Linoleum
8. Superbuick
9. Terrorform
*10. Curious
*11. Gone Chemical
*12. Kleen
13. King of Rock and Roll
*14. Come As You Are
*15. As We Are So We Are
*16. Shine (All Good Girls Part II)

Want to READ MORE?

Check out the most recent DIE WARZAU music interview!

"A Convenient Return: An Interview with Die Warzau"
http://www.sickamongthepure.com/files/2004/10/DieWarzau/DieWarzau.html

DIE WARZAU - Convenience - CD REVIEW
http://www.sickamongthepure.com/files/2004/10/DieWarzauReview/DieWarzauReview.html
Locke
2004-11-07 17:58:22 UTC
Please let me quote Jett Black...
Post by Jett Black
But wait? Are we seriously getting funky? Are we moving away from
the well-worn path of EBM/Industrial?
What is EBM/Industrial? Is there any relation to one (or both) of the
genres EBM or Industrial?
Post by Jett Black
Do you like Techno?
Not really.
Post by Jett Black
Do you like Industrial bliss?
Dunno ... maybe I could tell you if I knew what it was.
Post by Jett Black
Do you get a hard-on for fiber-optic Noise?
No. Do you?
Post by Jett Black
Do you like to dance?
From time to time ... depends on the music that is playing.
Post by Jett Black
Do you enjoy the hooks straining through
modern Pop music?
Rarely.
Post by Jett Black
Can you do more than dance?
Of course.
Post by Jett Black
Does driven and intelligent conversation
make you wet?
Wet? Are you serious?

May I ask you a question, too? Why do you ask all these stupid
questions?
Post by Jett Black
Then, you're going to simply love this one: "As We Are So We Are".
Ah ... now I get it. Thankfully I haven't answered yes to most of your
questions.
Post by Jett Black
Click the link (below) to hear your song selections in lo-fi MP3
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/diewarzau/from/jettblack
Hmm ... clicking on something in my newsreader is just highlighting the
text. Try again.

CU,
Locke

NP: Lydia Lunch "Widowspeak"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
2004-11-08 13:41:04 UTC
Post by Locke
What is EBM/Industrial? Is there any relation to one (or both) of the
genres EBM or Industrial?
Nothing quite like well-seasoned elitism to brighten up a rainy
afternoon.

...ummm, how about re-reading the RMI FAQ for instance:
http://18hz.deid.net/rec-music-industrial-faq.htm

Should ring some bells. No? No.
Lech
Should ring some bells. No? No.
Lech
2004-11-08 18:50:41 UTC
Post by ...
Nothing quite like well-seasoned elitism to brighten up a rainy
afternoon.
You're not big on irony, are you? Hmm... how about looking it up, for
instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony Should ring some bells. No?

Yrs, &c. Lech
To mail me, take out the trash.
Todd Clayton
2004-11-08 19:58:01 UTC
Post by Lech
Post by ...
Nothing quite like well-seasoned elitism to brighten up a rainy
afternoon.
You're not big on irony, are you? Hmm... how about looking it up, for
He's more of a fan of Bronzy or Goldy.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| Todd Clayton aka DJ Todd | Real Synthetic Audio |
-- Ramon Maria Narvaez, Spanish general
Lech
2004-11-08 20:06:55 UTC
Post by Todd Clayton
He's more of a fan of Bronzy or Goldy.
... the big, shiny disco balls. He got the funk, alright...

Yrs,&c. Lech
To mail me, take out the trash.
2004-11-09 09:29:00 UTC
Post by Lech
Post by ...
Nothing quite like well-seasoned elitism to brighten up a rainy
afternoon.
You're not big on irony, are you? Hmm... how about looking it up, for
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony Should ring some bells. No?
You're not big on subversive irony, are you? Hmm... how about looking
it up, for instance:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0521367816/002-9835548-4478445?v=glance

Seems like the scope of irony at RMI has stuck to the 70s. That's
fine, so has the bulk of your record collections - apparently.
Lech
2004-11-09 10:32:17 UTC
Post by ...
You're not big on subversive irony, are you?
You're hardly worth the effort, Mr "I'd do a Peter Frampton". How 70s of
you...
Post by ...
Seems like the scope of irony at RMI has stuck to the 70s.
We know what we like, 's all. Fashion is fleeting -- style is eternal.

Yrs, &c. Lech

np: Portion Control, "Blind Eyes"
To mail me, take out the trash.
2004-11-09 17:09:29 UTC
Post by Lech
You're hardly worth the effort,
I'm not? Damn. I sincerely thought I would be.
Mate. I don't even have a very good idea who Peter Frampton really is.
Keef
2004-11-11 16:11:00 UTC
Post by ...
Post by Lech
You're hardly worth the effort,
I'm not? Damn. I sincerely thought I would be.
Man you're not worth shit.

And I mean those really runny almost yellow shits that NO fucker wants.
2004-11-12 07:51:09 UTC
Well that ruined my day. Thank you very much.
Keef
2004-11-15 12:58:23 UTC
Post by ...
Post by Keef
Man you're not worth shit.
And I mean those really runny almost yellow shits that NO fucker wants.
Well that ruined my day. Thank you very much.
Excellent. I hope to catch you round christmas so I can fuck that up for you too.