Kraftwerk and Throbbing Gristle
mimus
2006-07-20 14:34:38 UTC
I heard the first coupla Kraftwerk albums when they first came out, and
thought they sucked, an impression I've kept to the present day.

And I don't think I ever _have_ heard a Throbbing Gristle album.

So what would some accomplished connoiseur of each group consider their
best songs/releases ("Best ofs" acceptable)?
Let there be throbbing.
Dave Watson
2006-07-20 16:07:25 UTC
Post by mimus
I heard the first coupla Kraftwerk albums when they first came out, and
thought they sucked, an impression I've kept to the present day.
First ones as in the ones with the pylons on the cover? When they
started out, they were doing prog/krautrock stuff, and then switched to
pure electronics and poppish stuff shortly afterwards.
Post by mimus
And I don't think I ever _have_ heard a Throbbing Gristle album.
So what would some accomplished connoiseur of each group consider their
best songs/releases ("Best ofs" acceptable)?
As for Kraftwerk, I'd say _The Man Machine_ is the definitive album of
their currently-established style. The CD is available in North America
cheap as well (on Capitol) if you just look for it. Throbbing Gristle
doesn't have one definitive original album, since their sound shifted
with each album, sometimes to confound audience expectations (i.e.
putting out _20 Jazz Funk Greats_, which had a lot of poppy songs, when
they were expected to make some more of their difficult stuff). In
their case, you're best getting either _Greatest Hits_ or _A Taste of
TG: Beginner's Guide to Throbbing Gristle_ to get an overview.
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (Stretcher CD-R--sevcom.com)
Frezier Balzoff (aka Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email--shlf[at]ncf[dot]ca
Kill worms!! http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/
mimus
2006-07-21 01:26:01 UTC
Post by mimus
And I don't think I ever _have_ heard a Throbbing Gristle album.
So what would some accomplished connoiseur of each group consider their
best songs/releases ("Best ofs" acceptable)?
As for Kraftwerk, I'd say _The Man Machine_ is the definitive album of
their currently-established style. The CD is available in North America
cheap as well (on Capitol) if you just look for it. Throbbing Gristle
doesn't have one definitive original album, since their sound shifted
with each album, sometimes to confound audience expectations (i.e.
putting out _20 Jazz Funk Greats_, which had a lot of poppy songs, when
they were expected to make some more of their difficult stuff).
Captain Beefheart did something like that once, put out a soft and
perfectly normal and even pretty album.

Upset me no end.
Post by Dave Watson
In
their case, you're best getting either _Greatest Hits_ or _A Taste of
TG: Beginner's Guide to Throbbing Gristle_ to get an overview.
Thanks on both, I'll check 'em out.
Let there be throbbing.
Dave Watson
2006-07-21 02:18:45 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Throbbing Gristle
doesn't have one definitive original album, since their sound shifted
with each album, sometimes to confound audience expectations (i.e.
putting out _20 Jazz Funk Greats_, which had a lot of poppy songs, when
they were expected to make some more of their difficult stuff).
Captain Beefheart did something like that once, put out a soft and
perfectly normal and even pretty album.
Upset me no end.
Don was most likely pressured by one of the major record companies he
was on to make that; which album was it? TG had total artistic freedom,
so the poppy tracks were their own call; in fact, Chris Carter is an
unapologetic ABBA fan. They also once released a pressing of their
first album, _Second Annual Report_, in which the audio ran backwards on
one side, and a version of their _D.o.A._ album which appeared to have
eight tracks of equal vinyl-band length on each side. Of course, none
of the bands corresponded with where the tracks actually started and
ended. _D.o.A._ also includes their popular single "United" on it--on
fast-forward.
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
In
their case, you're best getting either _Greatest Hits_ or _A Taste of
TG: Beginner's Guide to Throbbing Gristle_ to get an overview.
Thanks on both, I'll check 'em out.
You're welcome.
mimus
2006-07-21 02:30:18 UTC
Post by Dave Watson
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Throbbing Gristle
doesn't have one definitive original album, since their sound shifted
with each album, sometimes to confound audience expectations (i.e.
putting out _20 Jazz Funk Greats_, which had a lot of poppy songs, when
they were expected to make some more of their difficult stuff).
Captain Beefheart did something like that once, put out a soft and
perfectly normal and even pretty album.
Upset me no end.
Don was most likely pressured by one of the major record companies he
was on to make that; which album was it?
_Unconditionally Guaranteed_

http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/albums/official/unguaran.htm

I repeat, it's by no means bad, it's just so-- so-- _normal_.

Of course, the _true_ greatness is found at

http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/albums/official/tmr.htm

and

http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/albums/official/mirrorman.htm
Post by Dave Watson
TG had total artistic freedom,
so the poppy tracks were their own call; in fact, Chris Carter is an
unapologetic ABBA fan. They also once released a pressing of their
first album, _Second Annual Report_, in which the audio ran backwards on
one side, and a version of their _D.o.A._ album which appeared to have
eight tracks of equal vinyl-band length on each side. Of course, none
of the bands corresponded with where the tracks actually started and
ended. _D.o.A._ also includes their popular single "United" on it--on
fast-forward.
<cringe>

None of that is exactly conducive to, um, _prima facie_ interest.
Let there be throbbing.
Dave Watson
2006-07-21 02:55:03 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by Dave Watson
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
[...]
I have Trout Mask; I had to have it. If/when I'll get his others, I'll
never know.
Post by mimus
Post by Dave Watson
TG had total artistic freedom,
so the poppy tracks were their own call; in fact, Chris Carter is an
unapologetic ABBA fan. They also once released a pressing of their
first album, _Second Annual Report_, in which the audio ran backwards on
one side, and a version of their _D.o.A._ album which appeared to have
eight tracks of equal vinyl-band length on each side. Of course, none
of the bands corresponded with where the tracks actually started and
ended. _D.o.A._ also includes their popular single "United" on it--on
fast-forward.
<cringe>
None of that is exactly conducive to, um, _prima facie_ interest.
I had to look that expression up. Just hammering home (albeit probably
a bit much) about TG's poppier tunes not being imposed on them by a
record company.
mimus
2006-07-21 03:02:38 UTC
Post by Dave Watson
Post by mimus
Post by Dave Watson
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
[...]
I heard it took 'em quite a while to get playing melodies backwards and
upside down, down, for _Trout Mask_ . . . .

If your tastes run from _Trout Mask_ to industrial, you should check out
_Mirror Man_; consider it an early raw and powerful example of "trance".
Got it.
Albino Leviathan
2006-07-21 18:04:22 UTC
Post by mimus
I heard the first coupla Kraftwerk albums when they first came out, and
thought they sucked, an impression I've kept to the present day.
And I don't think I ever _have_ heard a Throbbing Gristle album.
So what would some accomplished connoiseur of each group consider their
best songs/releases ("Best ofs" acceptable)?
My favorite Throbbing Gristle release was "D.O.A. The Third and Final
Report." But it's not the final one anymore. Apparently they are back
together and calling themselves Throbbing Gristle II. Still waiting for
their album to be released on the Mute record label. It's recorded, but
the record company is taking forever to release it. TG has also
released a compilation of songs off the old albums, late 70s & early
80s, called, "The Taste of TG." It's available pretty much everywhere.
It's probably the best place to start.

My first Kraftwerk album was "Radio-activity." It was really my
introduction to electronic music. I recently bought their concert DVD,
"Minimum-Maxium," which is way cool in my opinion. If you don't want
the DVD, all the songs are on a double CD of the same name. I don't
like "Autobahn" as much as everyone else, but it's a nice album. Kind
of funny too. The albums are so simple. They're able to take simple
things and make them seem profound.

The DVD is pretty much four old German guys standing on stage apparently
doing nothing. But each of them has a laptop computer, a small mixer, a
small keyboard and the fellow who does the vocals puts his hand up to
his mouth every time he says something, as if he's shouting it off a
mountain top. But the whole thing is very subdued. No shouting. Very
little movement, but nice trippy visuals going on behind them. I really
enjoy watching it. Makes me smile.
--
Albino Leviathan
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
http://members.cox.net/albinoleviathan
dj_evol_eno
2006-07-24 14:13:18 UTC
Don't know about the "Throbbing Gristle II" thing but they did a few
shows and even put out a new single as Throbbing Gristle back at the
end of 2004, TG NOW:
http://www.mute.com/releases/viewRelease.jsp?id=38320
Rumor was they were supposed to release a full album of new material
(not on the new single) but I never saw anything about it after the
single came out. There was also the new remixes called Mutant TG. Both
are ok, TG Now is a bit on the mellow side (more Chris Carter
mellow/ambient type stuff) and the Mutant TG is modern
artists/producers remixing the older tracks and giving them a more
dance-floor friendly feel. (never thought i'd say that about anything
TG related, but it happened)
Albino Leviathan
2006-07-24 16:27:08 UTC
http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/
Dave Watson
2006-07-24 16:43:59 UTC
Post by Albino Leviathan
Post by dj_evol_eno
Don't know about the "Throbbing Gristle II" thing
http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/
It's most likely a bit of website shorthand to refer to their current
activities as TG. The new releases still refer to them as TG or
Throbbing Gristle--no II.
mimus
2006-07-24 17:41:22 UTC
Post by dj_evol_eno
the Mutant TG is modern
artists/producers remixing the older tracks and giving them a more
dance-floor friendly feel. (never thought i'd say that about anything
TG related, but it happened)
Dance beats are music's tribute to eating.