Haujobb: Polarity and Vertical Theory v. Solutions
mimus
2003-09-28 18:08:34 UTC
OK, I lost my CD collection last year, and have been slowly rebuilding
it, a mix of symphonic (Mahler *rules*), early Seventies "progressive
rock" and industrial- electro- EBM- electronic . . . .

And have already got Haujobb's _Freeze Frame Reality_, _Solutions for
a Small Planet_ and _Ninetynine_ (of course) . . . .

And I see two new full releases since _Ninetynine_, _Polarity_ and
_Vertical Theory_ . . . .

Would anyone who actually likes the three IEEE classics mentioned in
the first para above like to take a crack at comparing the two new
ones to any of those? If I like those first three mentioned, and
indeed love _Solutions_, will I . . . ?

(And, I'm ashamed to say, I have never even *heard* _Homes and
Gardens_, but didn't care for _Cleansed Visions_ and have been leery
of pushing back behind _Freeze Frame_-- my elective funds are always
sorta scarce, so I try to put 'em on the safest horses-- so additional
comparative review there would be OK, too.)

--
.sigzip*

candle
2003-09-29 01:44:40 UTC
Post by mimus
comparative review there would be OK, too.)
I have the same problem with Haujobb that I do FLA: they've gotten
worse as they've gone on. Now, FLA righted the ship, and I thought
that the new Haujobb was going to do so as well, but after a spin, it
didn't grab me at all, and I wasn't looking for the classic that
SFASP was, or as good as I thought 99 was (and I know I'm in a
minority on that one), but it was like COnfield by Autechre, it was,
for it's own sake, and not in a good way. That's the best technical
description I can give. FFR was a good release IMO, and on par with
Imperative Reaction's Eulogy for the Sick Child, and Haujobb's own
SFASP. Again, your like may very on that one...
--
candle
mhm27x19 smeeter #26
http://www.brokentoyforalonelygirl.tk
mimus
2003-09-29 14:19:28 UTC
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:44:40 -0000, candle
Post by candle
as good as I thought 99 was (and I know I'm in a
minority on that one)
I get a very nice four- song block off it, "overflow", "ninety-nine",
"less" and "grounds" (if I can get close to or more than twenty
minutes of high- quality music off an album I'm happy).

I remember being shocked by _Ninetynine's_ being totally flayed here.

(Nice receptivity to experimentalism, eh?)

((Flogging dead horses here.))

--
.sigzip*

candle
2003-10-01 03:34:34 UTC
Post by mimus
"less" and "grounds" (if I can get close to or more than twenty
minutes of high- quality music off an album I'm happy).
overflow is excellent, and has some very nice remixes out and about.
Post by mimus
I remember being shocked by _Ninetynine's_ being totally flayed here.
I haven't been shocked by anything here since Don Muerte flamed me
back in the day. LOL
Post by mimus
(Nice receptivity to experimentalism, eh?)
Not from established acts, unless they've made a career of it, like
Coil and such.
Post by mimus
((Flogging dead horses here.))
christ, do we have to drag up VAC again?

</rimshot>
mimus
2003-09-29 14:20:47 UTC
Post by mimus
comparative review there would be OK, too.)
I have the same problem with Haujobb that I do FLA: they've gotten
worse as they've gone on. Now, FLA righted the ship, and I thought
that the new Haujobb was going to do so as well, but after a spin, it
didn't grab me at all, and I wasn't looking for the classic that
SFASP was, or as good as I thought 99 was (and I know I'm in a
minority on that one), but it was like COnfield by Autechre, it was,
for it's own sake, and not in a good way. That's the best technical
description I can give. FFR was a good release IMO, and on par with
Imperative Reaction's Eulogy for the Sick Child, and Haujobb's own
SFASP. Again, your like may very on that one...
Well, here's a more specific question: Are the two albums, each in
itself, of a consistent style, a "theme album"? (I think I really
hate stylistic grab- bags.)

--
.sigzip*

candle
2003-10-01 03:35:28 UTC
Post by mimus
comparative review there would be OK, too.)
I have the same problem with Haujobb that I do FLA: they've gotten
worse as they've gone on. Now, FLA righted the ship, and I thought
that the new Haujobb was going to do so as well, but after a spin, it
didn't grab me at all, and I wasn't looking for the classic that
SFASP was, or as good as I thought 99 was (and I know I'm in a
minority on that one), but it was like COnfield by Autechre, it was,
for it's own sake, and not in a good way. That's the best technical
description I can give. FFR was a good release IMO, and on par with
Imperative Reaction's Eulogy for the Sick Child, and Haujobb's own
SFASP. Again, your like may very on that one...
Well, here's a more specific question: Are the two albums, each in
itself, of a consistent style, a "theme album"? (I think I really
hate stylistic grab- bags.)
Consistent, yes, IMO for the most part. You'll honestly have to
listen yourself and see what you think.
mimus
2003-10-01 05:54:27 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
for it's own sake, and not in a good way. That's the best technical
description I can give. FFR was a good release IMO, and on par with
Imperative Reaction's Eulogy for the Sick Child, and Haujobb's own
SFASP. Again, your like may very on that one...
Well, here's a more specific question: Are the two albums, each in
itself, of a consistent style, a "theme album"? (I think I really
hate stylistic grab- bags.)
Consistent, yes, IMO for the most part. You'll honestly have to
listen yourself and see what you think.
ok fine

Those two are now at the top of the list.

Along with a replacement of _Stanley Pain_.

--
np: Mark 13/Kinetic (yeah, right)

mimus
2003-10-01 06:15:16 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
for it's own sake, and not in a good way. That's the best technical
description I can give. FFR was a good release IMO, and on par with
Imperative Reaction's Eulogy for the Sick Child, and Haujobb's own
SFASP. Again, your like may very on that one...
Well, here's a more specific question: Are the two albums, each in
itself, of a consistent style, a "theme album"? (I think I really
hate stylistic grab- bags.)
Consistent, yes, IMO for the most part. You'll honestly have to
listen yourself and see what you think.
ok fine
Those two are now at the top of the list.
Along with a replacement of _Stanley Pain_.
BTW, did you try that block off _Stanley_ that I suggested? or at
least check out "Base Metal" (preferably wasted)?

--
np: Mark 13/Kinetic (yeah, right)

candle
2003-10-01 20:11:22 UTC
Post by mimus
rock" and industrial- electro- EBM- electronic . . . .
And have already got Haujobb's _Freeze Frame Reality_,
_Solutions
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by candle
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
for
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
_Vertical Theory_ . . . .
Would anyone who actually likes the three IEEE classics
mentioned
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by candle
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
in
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by candle
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by candle
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by candle
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
Post by candle
Post by mimus
hate stylistic grab- bags.)
Consistent, yes, IMO for the most part. You'll honestly have to
listen yourself and see what you think.
ok fine
Those two are now at the top of the list.
Along with a replacement of _Stanley Pain_.
BTW, did you try that block off _Stanley_ that I suggested? or at
least check out "Base Metal" (preferably wasted)?
As of yet, no. Haven't had the time, and can't remember where it is.
As soon as those two things converge, it's on.
Dog999
2003-09-29 16:57:30 UTC
Post by mimus
rock" and industrial- electro- EBM- electronic . . . .
Curious, how did you lose your CD collection? At this point I would
forget about both FLA and Hob-knob and move on to new horizons.
mimus
2003-09-29 17:42:17 UTC
Post by Dog999
Post by mimus
rock" and industrial- electro- EBM- electronic . . . .
Curious, how did you lose your CD collection?
Housefire. Lost a 4000- volume library, too. Sucked.
Post by Dog999
At this point I would
forget about both FLA and Hob-knob and move on to new horizons.
"Hob- knob"? <slap>

_Freeze Frame Reality_, _Solutions_ and _Ninetynine_ were on my to-
be- replaced- soonest list, and have long been, along with _The Divine
Invasion_, _(Fuck) Up Evil_, _Burnt Beyond Recognition_, _-196 C_,
_Rabies_, _Too Dark Park_, _Last Rights_, _Christian Sex Loops_ and
_Abbatoir_ . . . .

(Still haven't replaced _The Eyes of Stanley Pain_, dammit.)

As for FLA, _Tactical Neural Implant_, _Hard Wired_ (Leeb finally
learned how to integrate guitar with EBM on this one) and _Live Wired_
(mostly for the live version of "Bio- Mechanic") should keep me happy
there for awhile (Leeb does irritate me because he's the world leader
in number of albums-- maybe just that alone-- with just one or two
decent cuts on 'em, so that it's hard to wrest a nice long block of
consistently high quality off 'em).

--
.sigzip*

Marian Try Slaughter
2003-09-29 23:15:44 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by Dog999
Post by mimus
rock" and industrial- electro- EBM- electronic . . . .
Curious, how did you lose your CD collection?
Housefire. Lost a 4000- volume library, too. Sucked.
Holy shit, you poor bastard. My sympathies.

I hope you had insurance to cover at least part of it... :(

--
"It's like that old saying: A conservative is a liberal who's been attacked
by aliens."
Simon - mhm27x5
mimus
2003-09-30 00:44:51 UTC
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:15:44 GMT, Marian Try Slaughter
Post by Marian Try Slaughter
Post by mimus
Post by Dog999
Post by mimus
rock" and industrial- electro- EBM- electronic . . . .
Curious, how did you lose your CD collection?
Housefire. Lost a 4000- volume library, too. Sucked.
Holy shit, you poor bastard. My sympathies.
I hope you had insurance to cover at least part of it... :(
Supposedly full, "part of it"-- well, "much of it"-- pretty much
covers it . . . .

--
.sigzip*