Was COIL influence by KraftwerK?
The Space Boss
2007-05-26 08:23:31 UTC
I'm listening to "Music to play in the dark" (Red birds will fly) and
it sound very similer to Kraftwerk. Is there any connection by
influence?
Thomas Mayer
2007-05-26 13:20:48 UTC
Post by The Space Boss
I'm listening to "Music to play in the dark" (Red birds will fly) and
it sound very similer to Kraftwerk. Is there any connection by
influence?
<irony>
This is absolutely impossible because Kraftwerk is just a totally
obscure band that noone knows of.
</irony>

They surely could have listened to Kraftwerk at that time (cf. Afrika
Bambaataa - Planet Rock and chart positions of Kraftwerk), but I don't
know of any claim about that by the band themselves.

cu Thomas
--
"Prisons are needed only to provide the illusion that courts and police
are effective. They're a kind of job insurance."
http://thomas.dergrossebruder.org/
Girl <last name>
2007-05-27 18:27:16 UTC
Post by Thomas Mayer
Post by The Space Boss
I'm listening to "Music to play in the dark" (Red birds will fly) and
it sound very similer to Kraftwerk. Is there any connection by
influence?
<irony>
This is absolutely impossible because Kraftwerk is just a totally
obscure band that noone knows of.
</irony>
They surely could have listened to Kraftwerk at that time (cf. Afrika
Bambaataa - Planet Rock and chart positions of Kraftwerk), but I don't
know of any claim about that by the band themselves.
Actually, Chris Carter was hugely influenced by Kraftwerk back in the days
of Throbbing Gristle. Chris was clearly a huge influence on Peter
Christopherson's work back then (compare Chris & Cosey's earliest work and
later Coil stuff).

D.
Darius
2007-06-02 01:14:42 UTC
Post by Girl <last name>
Post by Thomas Mayer
Post by The Space Boss
I'm listening to "Music to play in the dark" (Red birds will fly) and
it sound very similer to Kraftwerk. Is there any connection by
influence?
<irony>
This is absolutely impossible because Kraftwerk is just a totally
obscure band that noone knows of.
</irony>
They surely could have listened to Kraftwerk at that time (cf. Afrika
Bambaataa - Planet Rock and chart positions of Kraftwerk), but I don't
know of any claim about that by the band themselves.
Actually, Chris Carter was hugely influenced by Kraftwerk back in the days
of Throbbing Gristle. Chris was clearly a huge influence on Peter
Christopherson's work back then (compare Chris & Cosey's earliest work and
later Coil stuff).
D.
Actually, track "Red Birds.." was inspired by Tangerine Dream album
"Rubycon", as confirmed by Thighpaulsandra who made it. I have listened
to Rubycon and can confirm it's absolutely true, it even sounds almost
exactly the same. I think though Coil version is better.
mimus
2007-06-02 02:50:48 UTC
Post by Darius
Post by Girl <last name>
Post by Thomas Mayer
Post by The Space Boss
[...]
Bite your fingers off: _Rubycon_ is a _classic_.

And a really really good TD sequence is _Rubycon_ Part I; _Zeit_ Part 4
"Zeit" ("Time"); and _Rubycon_ Part II (altogether 51:49), since you can
interpret _Rubycon_ as referring to the classical story of Caesar's coming
down to the Rubicon and spending the night there in contemplation of what
to do, since he either had to lay down his generalship and probably lose
his life in judicial murder, or cross the Rubicon with his legions and
begin yet another Roman Civil War, _Rubycon_ Part I plainly being a
"River" piece and Part II being "Decision" or "Crossing", and _Zeit_
Part 4 "Zeit" being a wonderful representation of a long long night of
hard hard thinking.
--
Let there be throbbing.

(And electronic birds.)
Girl <last name>
2007-06-03 20:09:46 UTC
Post by Darius
Post by Girl <last name>
Post by Thomas Mayer
Post by The Space Boss
[...]
I'm not disagreeing with you, but how does that contradict what I wrote? I
never said Kraftwerk or Chris Carter/Chris & Cosey were the only influence
on Coil, of course there are many more (The Virgin Prunes, for example, were
clearly an influence on their early stuff - Gavin Friday's appearance on
Scatology is a clear signal of that).

Girl.
Girl <last name>
2007-06-03 20:15:00 UTC
Post by Girl <last name>
Post by Darius
Actually, track "Red Birds.." was inspired by Tangerine Dream album
"Rubycon", as confirmed by Thighpaulsandra who made it. I have listened
to Rubycon and can confirm it's absolutely true, it even sounds almost
exactly the same. I think though Coil version is better.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but how does that contradict what I wrote? I
never said Kraftwerk or Chris Carter/Chris & Cosey were the only influence
on Coil, of course there are many more (The Virgin Prunes, for example,
were clearly an influence on their early stuff - Gavin Friday's appearance
on Scatology is a clear signal of that).
Add Foetus to that as well, as he co-produced Scatology.

Girl.
Darius
2007-06-05 19:16:14 UTC
Post by Girl <last name>
Post by Girl <last name>
Post by Darius
Actually, track "Red Birds.." was inspired by Tangerine Dream album
"Rubycon", as confirmed by Thighpaulsandra who made it. I have listened
to Rubycon and can confirm it's absolutely true, it even sounds almost
exactly the same. I think though Coil version is better.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but how does that contradict what I wrote? I
never said Kraftwerk or Chris Carter/Chris & Cosey were the only influence
on Coil, of course there are many more (The Virgin Prunes, for example,
were clearly an influence on their early stuff - Gavin Friday's appearance
on Scatology is a clear signal of that).
Add Foetus to that as well, as he co-produced Scatology.
Girl.
I just pointed out direct influence for that particular track, it was
only FYI. I am not disagreeing or anything. Kraftwerk influenced many,
maybe even Coil.