Grassy Knoll and other "industrial jazz"?
2003-12-11 15:19:51 UTC
Since all new threads here seem to be either sales adverts or
playlists I just might as well start one of these vague personal
things. Anyway, I've been recently listening to the debut album of Bob
Green's Grassy Knoll (since my cat scratched all my Orgy and Britney
CDs) and I find the idea of combining jazz with industrial quite
interesting, albeit at least on this debut album the fusion isn't all
that seamless and the industrial thing is only starting to surface
more towards the latter half of the record. If you've heard any of the
more recent outings by this band, do you think there has been progress
to the concept and moreover what other similiar groups do you know?
Locke
2003-12-12 13:18:56 UTC
Please let me quote ......
|Since all new threads here seem to be either sales adverts or
|playlists I just might as well start one of these vague personal
|things. Anyway, I've been recently listening to the debut album of Bob
|Green's Grassy Knoll (since my cat scratched all my Orgy and Britney
|CDs) and I find the idea of combining jazz with industrial quite
|interesting, albeit at least on this debut album the fusion isn't all
|that seamless and the industrial thing is only starting to surface
|more towards the latter half of the record. If you've heard any of the
|more recent outings by this band, do you think there has been progress
|to the concept and moreover what other similiar groups do you know?

I haven't heard Grassy Knoll so I don't know what their blending of
industrial and jazz is like, but there are two things that spring to
mind ...

Clock DVA's early albums combine song-oriented material with noisy
electronic treatments and jazz elements or instrumentation. They were
also related to the original industrial scene. Check out the album
"Thirst".

Then there are two albums of a collaboration of Phil Minton, Ulrike
Haage and F.M. Einheit. The first album (together with Alfred 23 Harth)
under the project name of Vladimir Estragon ("Three Quarks for Muster
Mark") is more a free jazz project with noise elements, tape loops and
so on, while the second album under the name of Goto is a more
avantgardistic and experimental effort but with the free jazz elements
still present.

CU,
Locke

NP: Goto "Goto"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
2003-12-19 10:12:58 UTC
Post by Locke
Then there are two albums of a collaboration of Phil Minton, Ulrike
Haage and F.M. Einheit. The first album (together with Alfred 23 Harth)
under the project name of Vladimir Estragon ("Three Quarks for Muster
Mark") is more a free jazz project with noise elements, tape loops and
so on, while the second album under the name of Goto is a more
avantgardistic and experimental effort but with the free jazz elements
still present.
Einheit? Surprising, I've never heard of those? But then again we've
never heard of his "coming soon" project with Pan Sonic either...

Knoll is okay, but at least on the first album the fusion shifts
towards funk with noise elements laid on top of it. There is one track
that can be classified straight into the industrial genre (it's
basically "noise"), but underneath the jazz elements there is
sometimes this, and I don't know how to describe it in words as the
case often is, but a MASSIVE pressure. Kind of like your typical
low-freq drone on on indu stuff, but it's hard to describe what it
consists of. Most likely it's the result of samples, effects and
acoustic instruments blending together, but in a quite interesting
way.
GunHed
2003-12-12 14:51:13 UTC
Post by ...
Since all new threads here seem to be either sales adverts or
playlists I just might as well start one of these vague personal
things. Anyway, I've been recently listening to the debut album of Bob
Green's Grassy Knoll (since my cat scratched all my Orgy and Britney
CDs) and I find the idea of combining jazz with industrial quite
interesting, albeit at least on this debut album the fusion isn't all
that seamless and the industrial thing is only starting to surface
more towards the latter half of the record. If you've heard any of the
more recent outings by this band, do you think there has been progress
to the concept and moreover what other similiar groups do you know?
I recommend checking out Terminal Sound System's "Black Note EP." You can
pick it up here for a measly five bucks. http://www.embryorecordings.com

Here's a description of the release taken from the site: "The Black Note
Ep combines mutilated pseudo-freejazz cutups, wandering abstract melodies
and harsh digital expletives into a musical travesty both horrendous and
strangely beautiful, formless and horribly precise, a soundtrack for an
arthouse film so terribly convoluted as to be never realised."

Terminal Sound System kicks ass. =)
Girl the Bourgeois Individualist
2003-12-13 01:11:15 UTC
Post by ...
Since all new threads here seem to be either sales adverts or
playlists I just might as well start one of these vague personal
things. Anyway, I've been recently listening to the debut album of Bob
Green's Grassy Knoll (since my cat scratched all my Orgy and Britney
CDs) and I find the idea of combining jazz with industrial quite
interesting, albeit at least on this debut album the fusion isn't all
that seamless and the industrial thing is only starting to surface
more towards the latter half of the record. If you've heard any of the
more recent outings by this band, do you think there has been progress
to the concept and moreover what other similiar groups do you know?
Haven't heard the Grassy Knoll stuff, but you should try God. No, I'm not
preaching, I mean the band called God. It's a Godflesh/Head of David spin-off
kinda thing, and John Zorn played fucked up Free Jazz type stuff on their
"Possession" album in 1992.

Girl.
MCP
2003-12-19 15:11:33 UTC
Post by ...
Since all new threads here seem to be either sales adverts or
playlists I just might as well start one of these vague personal
things. Anyway, I've been recently listening to the debut album of Bob
Green's Grassy Knoll (since my cat scratched all my Orgy and Britney
CDs) and I find the idea of combining jazz with industrial quite
interesting, albeit at least on this debut album the fusion isn't all
that seamless and the industrial thing is only starting to surface
more towards the latter half of the record. If you've heard any of the
more recent outings by this band, do you think there has been progress
to the concept and moreover what other similiar groups do you know?
try die warzau's "engine." it's not primarily industrial jazz, but
it's got quite a bit of it blended throughout.
2003-12-20 10:20:28 UTC
Post by MCP
try die warzau's "engine." it's not primarily industrial jazz, but
it's got quite a bit of it blended throughout.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try to hunt 'em down.