Is Industrial Dead?
mimus
2010-05-22 16:44:08 UTC
Or is it . . . un-dead . . . ?

--

Let there be at least a little creaking if not throbbing.
internaughtfull
2010-07-12 17:47:34 UTC
Post by mimus
Or is it . . . un-dead . . . ?
--
Let there be at least a little creaking if not throbbing.
its not dead, it lives on in rappers and hip hoppers that

the first pilferage from industrial muses came from the
likes of NIN, who make good solid political craziness
like skinny puppy into personalized moan and groan
blues consciousness revisited. blah. bad use of
drums. actually i have no idea what happened to
industrial and i miss it. pilferage! pilferage!
james nigh
2010-07-18 20:52:58 UTC
if this groups traffic is any indicationnn yes, it is. =/
mimus
2010-07-29 15:38:31 UTC
Post by james nigh
if this groups traffic is any indicationnn yes, it is. =/
This group's been un-dead for about eight years.

My God . . . it's . . . it's positively goth!

Let there be an occasional flicker of a throb.
tortureresponse
2010-08-03 15:28:54 UTC
i don't think it's really dead, per say, i just think the vast
majority of 'artists' that still utilize the label are no longer what
we consider 'industrial'. they've moved on to the realms of futurepop
(which is, imo, nothing but watered down synthpop) or some type of
techno or ambient hybrid, neither of which i'm a fan of.

i think there's some kind of scene wide phobia around the subject of
making the hard, abrasive and just plain kick ass music that got us
all hooked in the first place. every band that started what we know
of as industrial now resembles nothing of what they started out as or
evolved to in their prime. FLA, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, NIN, etc have
all become something else, something vastly inferior to what (at least
in our hearts) their potential showed us of what could be. now don't
get me wrong, i'm all for bands and artists' to grow and evolve, but
when you evolve in directions that go outside the lines of where you
started, maybe it's time to change your name or something.

what i find greatly upsetting is that with all the technology
available today, things we would've KILLED to have access to 10 years
ago, isn't yeilding the powerful music we expect and demand. maybe
some people are just too caught up in trying to be 'different' or just
trying to get that monotonous club mix that the techno clubs only seem
to care about. i don't know and honestly, i don't care. when the
bands i listen to stop producing the music and songs that draw me in,
i simply cease caring about what they do.

hell, punk and metal seem to still be doing quite well producing the
kick ass music that keeps their genres alive and those genres are
allegedly 'inferior' to industrial. how can you tell me they're still
kicking ass with less to work with when our heavy hitters have
'outgrown' doing the same? with all the technology available to us
how can anyone honestly say that 'it's all been done' when they can
keep rocking with such a primative sound set???

anyways, those are my thoughts on the subject for they're worth. i'm
gonna keep my ears open for the bands out there that still have the
balls to use abrasive beats, 16th note basslines and noise to make bad
ass songs.
mimus
2010-08-25 17:00:14 UTC
Post by tortureresponse
[...]
There's an intriguing point: I wonder how plain straight "noise" is
doing as a genre nowadays, if only compared to its heyday.

Let there be throbbing and some hissing here and a loop there . . . .
mimus
2010-08-30 14:29:37 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by tortureresponse
[...]
Also, there's a genre-based principle of decay that I noted decades
ago with regard to '70s progressive, that as the genre builds and the
music gets ever more complex and polished, newcomers' first efforts
tend to be judged against the contemporary products of the established
artists and not their own first efforts, and I suspect that
prospective artists themselves make that false measurement and get
discouraged even before _that_.

Let your first throbs be quite deliberately cyber-punk-y, I say.
TenshiKurai9
2010-08-29 01:25:03 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by james nigh
if this groups traffic is any indicationnn yes, it is. =/
This group's been un-dead for about eight years.
My God . . . it's . . . it's positively goth!
alt.gothic still has more traffic than here.

-TenshiKurai9
mimus
2010-08-30 14:26:27 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by james nigh
if this groups traffic is any indicationnn yes, it is. =/
This group's been un-dead for about eight years.
My God . . . it's . . . it's positively goth!
alt.gothic still has more traffic than here.
I'm not sure that counts for much . . . .

Two throbs per month is more than one throb per month.
TenshiKurai9
2010-09-03 17:25:04 UTC
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
My God . . . it's . . . it's positively goth!
alt.gothic still has more traffic than here.
I'm not sure that counts for much . . . .
We're now at a point where less than 20 posters-a-week is normal so,
yeah, point taken.

-TenshiKurai9
mimus
2010-09-04 13:53:32 UTC
Post by TenshiKurai9
Post by mimus
Post by mimus
My God . . . it's . . . it's positively goth!
alt.gothic still has more traffic than here.
I'm not sure that counts for much . . . .
We're now at a point where less than 20 posters-a-week is normal so,
yeah, point taken.
I wonder how the country-music groups are doing?

--

Let there be cheesy moronic boinging instead of throbbing.

mimus
2010-07-29 15:37:44 UTC
Post by internaughtfull
Post by mimus
Or is it . . . un-dead . . . ?
--
[...]
I'd call (at least later) NIN "whiny Gen-X shit", but I think we're on
the same page there.

I thought "Head Like a Hole" and "Happiness in Slavery" were good
(even though they had git-tar in 'em), but that was about it.

And then--what happened? heroin?

--

Let there be throbbing in the cemetery.