Laibach DVD
JD
2005-01-26 00:08:03 UTC
I just got the Laibach DVD that is all their videos plus an extra "film
about WAT" and I have some Laibach questions.

Anybody here interested?
JD..
Lech
2005-01-26 05:58:48 UTC
... I have some Laibach questions.
Anybody here interested?
What d'ya wanna know?

Yrs, &c. Lech

sp: Laibach, "Reject or Breed"
To mail me, take out the trash.
JD
2005-01-26 14:02:08 UTC
Post by Lech
... I have some Laibach questions.
Anybody here interested?
What d'ya wanna know?
Yrs, &c. Lech
sp: Laibach, "Reject or Breed"
OK, whats up with the hat the singer wears in some of the videos? Is
that some kind of old style helmet?

I thought Laibach was a larger group of people but in the videos it's
the same four guys? Misconception on my part?

In the extra "film about WAT" Laibach seems to be very pro-American. Or
are they just kidding around?
JD..
Soterro
2005-01-26 14:39:59 UTC
Post by JD
I thought Laibach was a larger group of people but in the videos it's
the same four guys? Misconception on my part?
Don't confuse Laibach with NSK.
NSK = Neue Slovenische Kunst = New Slovenian Art = a bunch of people
involved in music, theater, visual arts and whatnot (and social and
political discourse of course), while Laibach = the musical branch of
this NSK.
Post by JD
In the extra "film about WAT" Laibach seems to be very pro-American. Or
are they just kidding around?
I must say I didn't watch the film you mention. But I'm afraid they defy
such an easy pin-pointing :)
http://www.ljudmila.org/embassy/3a/10.htm

np: Sephiroth - Wolftribes
Locke
2005-01-26 17:22:55 UTC
Please let me quote JD...
|I thought Laibach was a larger group of people but in the videos it's
|the same four guys? Misconception on my part?

As they say in the lyrics to the track "WAT" Laibach is not an ordinary
type of group. They are a collective of musicians were the members
assume certain responsibilities. The members appearing in the videos
obviously have the task to perform in videos, but that doesn't mean
these are the only members of the group.

|In the extra "film about WAT" Laibach seems to be very pro-American. Or
|are they just kidding around?

There are surely some aspects of the USA (for instance certain
progressive values in the constitution) that can clearly be supported
from Laibach's point of view. On the other hand, Laibach are masters of
irony. Having not seen the film in question I cannot say what is the
case here ...

CU,
Locke

NP: Sielwolf "Nachtstrom"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
Lech
2005-01-27 04:24:02 UTC
Post by JD
OK, whats up with the hat the singer wears in some of the videos?
It's an old fashioned miner's headgear. Laibach hail from the Slovenian
mining town of Trbovlje.
Post by JD
I thought Laibach was a larger group of people but in the videos it's the
same four guys? Misconception on my part?
While Laibach have always appeared as a quartet in promotional contexts, the
group frequently includes additional musicians / performers on stage. Since
the suicide of the original vocalist in 1982, the group has (fairly
consistently) been represented by the same four people.

Some Laibach members are also members of the other groups that make up the
NSK collective (which Laibach founded in 1983 together with the Irwin group
of painters & the Scipion Nasice theater group.)
Post by JD
In the extra "film about WAT" Laibach seems to be very pro-American. Or
are they just kidding around?
Laibach are always only pro-Laibach. No more, no less.

Yrs, &c. Lech