ten most important experimental rock albums ever?
Eric Mars
2004-02-26 05:39:34 UTC
what's your vote?
unknown
2004-02-26 06:28:07 UTC
Post by Eric Mars
what's your vote?
Not in any particular order

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper

The Beach boys - Pet sounds

The Beatles -Revolver

The Jimi Hendrix expirence -Are you expirenced?

Cream - Desrali gears

Do these qualify?

Oh how about that 1st Touch album as well?

Heck I can put in a couple more Beatle records. It seems they had
several expirimental albums.

Regards
Michael Fell
Blood 'n' Tongue
2004-02-26 06:49:12 UTC
I put in one big fat vote for Public Image Ltd - Metal Box (aka Second
Edition) and Throbbing Gristle - Second Annual Report. That's all.
--
Blood 'n' Tongue
www.blood-n-tongue.net
www.themysterons.net
Richard Barnes
2004-02-26 07:31:55 UTC
Post by Eric Mars
what's your vote?
Define experimental please.
Richard Barnes
b***@aros.net
2004-02-26 08:22:48 UTC
Post by Eric Mars
what's your vote?
I'd probably change my mind depending on what day it is,
but just of the top of my head here's 11 -

Mothers of Invention - Uncle Meat
Faust - Faust
Can - Tago Mago
PiL - Metal Box
The Residents - Third Reich n Roll
This Heat - This Heat
Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Dome - 1
Throbbing Gristle - DOA
Einsturzende Neubauten - Drawings of O.T.
Locke
2004-02-26 11:12:17 UTC
Please let me quote Eric Mars...
|what's your vote?

I'd rather not vote. I could do a list of ten best albums or something
but not the ten most important. There are far more important albums and
any limitation to only ten would make this list terribly arbitrary,
especially when you post this request to such a broad range of
newsgroups.

CU,
Locke

NP: Miranda Sex Garden "Peep Show"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
Fred Bloggs
2004-03-05 17:25:41 UTC
Post by Locke
Please let me quote Eric Mars...
|what's your vote?
I'd rather not vote. I could do a list of ten best albums or something
but not the ten most important. There are far more important albums and
any limitation to only ten would make this list terribly arbitrary,
especially when you post this request to such a broad range of
newsgroups.
It's just a list on a Usenet post. Come on...you can do it. Some guy's
put a bloody Genesis album on his list, for christs sake! You're just
going to sit there and take it?

I pretty much entirely agree with the guys list who put Metal Box,
Tago Mago etc... I'd probably find room for Trout Mask Replica
though.
Locke
2004-03-06 11:17:12 UTC
Please let me quote Fred Bloggs...
|Locke <***@mad.scientist.com> wrote in message news:<c1kjak$4up$***@online.de>...
|> Please let me quote Eric Mars...
|> |what's your vote?
|>
|> I'd rather not vote. I could do a list of ten best albums or something
|> but not the ten most important. There are far more important albums and
|> any limitation to only ten would make this list terribly arbitrary,
|> especially when you post this request to such a broad range of
|> newsgroups.
|
|It's just a list on a Usenet post. Come on...you can do it. Some guy's
|put a bloody Genesis album on his list, for christs sake! You're just
|going to sit there and take it?

Well, since this thread got crossposted to rec.music.progressive I will
respect this opinion, of course. At the same time your criticism is a
prime example for my disliking of the whole thread in general. As I
said it is impossible to find any ten most influential albums for all
the groups listed in the header. And I don't want to fuel the fire.

CU,
Locke

NP: Frank Zappa "Strictly Commercial"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
Paul's penis is HELL, boy.
2004-03-06 11:56:56 UTC
Post by Locke
NP: Frank Zappa "Strictly Commercial"
::high five::
RetardIslandMayr: paul, we all look FAT and on DRUGS in these pictures.
hahahah
zappa > everything
--
np: nothin'

AIM: WhoKilledtheJAMs
dukncovr at kmfdm dot com
http://www.rit.edu/~pmy5192
Angus Haynes
2004-02-26 14:11:38 UTC
Post by Eric Mars
what's your vote?
Be tough to leave out King Crimson's first, In The Court of the Crimson
King.
MARIT NYGÅRD
2004-02-26 18:05:24 UTC
In no particular order;
VELVET UNDERGROUND Velvet Underground and Nico
WIRE 154
KRAFTWERK Trans-Europe Express
MY BLOODY VALENTINE Loveless
PERE UBU The Modern Dance
PINK FLOYD The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
CAN - Tago Mago
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Trout Mask Replica
JOY DIVISION Unknown Pleasures
13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS - Easter Everywhere

Astrid
R. Totale
2004-02-26 20:09:05 UTC
Post by Eric Mars
what's your vote?
Wish I could remember the Eno quote (probably from Trouser Press,
probably ca 1977-8). Something along the lines that experimental music
was a flawed idea - one should do the experiments first, then make
music from the successful ones...
Brett...
2004-02-27 19:08:31 UTC
Tonto's Expanding Headband - Zero Time
--
Brett

I plugged my phone in where the blender used to be. I called someone.
They went "Aaaaahhhh..."
AgentA
2004-02-27 22:14:39 UTC
Post by Eric Mars
what's your vote?
"I do not write experimental music. My experimenting is done before I
make the music. Afterwards, it is the listener who must experiment."

-- Edgard Varèse

With that in mind, if you're talking about ROCK that has challenged
the average rock listener's notions of what Rock can do, then yes many
of the albums or artists mentioned have done so. In a lot of cases the
artists incorporate elements of other musical genres and / or used
cutting edge technological methods that have had a profound impact on
the genre's development.

Zappa dug Varèse, Kraftwerk studied with Stockhausen, Sgt.Peppers owes
a lot to musique concrete. Talking Heads owe a lot to Parliament
Funkadelic, etc.

other albums that have pushed the rock envelope imo:
Chrome - Half Lip Machine Moves
Laurie Anderson - Big Science
Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (lyrically)
Sepultura - Roots
Fantomas - Fantomas

-AgentA
http://www31.brinkster.com/headtones/headtonesradio.html
Chris Roberts
2004-02-28 19:44:40 UTC
It's been a while since I last bestowed a measure of my tastes upon this
group, have at you with these;

Tangerine Dream - Rubicon
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
The Nice - Ars longa Vita Brevis
Pink Floyd - Umma Gumma
Eno - Another Green World
Focus - In & Out Of Focus
The Mars Volta - de-loused in the comatorium
Yes - The Yes Album
Genesis - Trespass
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

No particular order - each one chosen for different reasons - sounds,
impact, time etc

Chris

PS Steve Hackett - To Watch The Storms is worth a listen if you haven't
caught it yet
Post by Eric Mars
what's your vote?