how are songs remixed?
t***@intex.com
2006-01-12 14:01:04 UTC
I saw that some NIN songs were going to be remixed by someone and I was
wondering
exactly what is remixing? What is being remixed? Can I take any song
(.wav file) and remix it? And how would someone with no experience
learn a bit on how to do it?

Thanks,

Ted
DJ Bat - Cyberden
2006-01-12 18:54:18 UTC
Post by t***@intex.com
I saw that some NIN songs were going to be remixed by someone and I was
wondering
exactly what is remixing? What is being remixed? Can I take any song
(.wav file) and remix it? And how would someone with no experience
learn a bit on how to do it?
Aphex Twin has been known to use a blender...

/me runs
Locke
2006-01-13 11:35:02 UTC
Please let me quote ***@intex.com...
|I saw that some NIN songs were going to be remixed by someone and I was
|wondering exactly what is remixing?

Well, mixing is the process of putting down a final result (in stereo,
mono, surround sound or whatever) from a multitrack recording. Basically,
the process involves setting the individual levels for the individually
recorded tracks and occasionally adding a few effects, altering the raw
material by looping of certain sections and so on.

If you go through the whole process again after you've finished the mixing
of a song, that would be considered "remixing" since a first definitive mix
exists already. Sometimes the people who do remixes choose to include some
sounds that weren't present in the original mix, either material given to
them by the artist that was recorded to multitrack but left out in the
final mix or sometimes even new material that the remixer has found
elsewhere, although if the remixer uses too much of this outside material
this is stretching the idea of the term "remix" quite a bit.

| What is being remixed?

The raw material that constitutes the song (the multitrack recordings).

| Can I take any song
|(.wav file) and remix it?

Difficult, in principle you could consider the two stereo channels as two
separate tracks and mix them into mono and maybe add a few minor effects,
but I would say the results are bound to be very limited in scope.

If you want to publish your remixes there's also the issue of copyrights.
The copyrights of a recording is owned by the band or their record label,
and a remixer usually works on behalf of the band or label and have their
permission. If you're going to take a song and remix it you'll need an
explicitly stated permission from the copyright holder if you want to
publish it legally.

| And how would someone with no experience
|learn a bit on how to do it?

Get a job at a studio and learn how the professionals do it. At first you
might be bound to making coffee or cleaning the toilets, but at least you
can take a peek and learn.

CU,
Locke

NP: Add N To (X) "Add Insult To Injury"
--
| |
DJ Bat - Cyberden
2006-01-14 16:13:13 UTC
At first you might be bound to ... cleaning the toilets, but at least you
can take a peek and learn.
eewww...