RE-TG rescheduled (again)
ABZ
2004-09-10 07:17:30 UTC
Now, how is anyone going to take this event seriously.
It wen't from a extremely interresting line-up to... well... PEACHES?

MERCURY REV
THROBBING GRISTLE
VIOLENT FEMMES
LIGHTNING BOLT
MEGO RECORDS ROOM
MIKE WATT/GEORGE HURLEY MINUTEMEN DUET
PEACHES
SHELLAC
THE FALL
SKAM RECORDS ROOM
WOLF EYES
CARL CRAIG

Dear MR. ABZ,

We are writing to inform you that ALL TOMORROWS PARTIES at
Camber Sands Holiday Centre, Nr Rye Sussex on the FRIDAY 15/04/2005
has now been rescheduled.

And the event will now take place on FRIDAY 03/12/2004
The ticket(s) will remain VALID for the new date or face value refunds
are available on return of the ticket(s). All refunds will need to be
claimed by 26/11/2004 No refunds will be issued after this date.

We advise all tickets are returned to us by secure mail to See
Tickets, Room X, The Hollows, St. James Street, Nottingham, NG1 6FJ,
with a copy of this E-mail.
No refunds will be issued for tickets not received back in to our
offices.

If you have not received your ticket(s) and you wish to claim a
refund, please reply to this e-mail.

The confirmed artists for this event are Throbbing Gristle, Mercury
Rev, Peaches, Shellac, The Fall, Lightning Bolt, Wolf Eyes, The
Minutemen, Carl Craig, Skam Records Room, Mego Records Room.

If you have any queries regarding your order please do not hesitate to
E-mail us at ***@seetickets.com quoting reference XXXXXXX.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Services
M. Sahlen
2004-09-10 07:41:54 UTC
Boy, am I glad now that I went for a refund the first time around
that RE-TG was rescheduled, and went to the the TG live session
at the Astoria in May instead. Camber Sands in December...?? No
thank you.

// Marten
Customer Services
Locke
2004-09-10 15:05:32 UTC
Please let me quote ABZ...
|We are writing to inform you that ALL TOMORROWS PARTIES at
|Camber Sands Holiday Centre, Nr Rye Sussex on the FRIDAY 15/04/2005
|has now been rescheduled.
|And the event will now take place on FRIDAY 03/12/2004
| [...]
|The confirmed artists for this event are Throbbing Gristle, Mercury
|Rev, Peaches, Shellac, The Fall, Lightning Bolt, Wolf Eyes, The
|Minutemen, Carl Craig, Skam Records Room, Mego Records Room.

If anybody still needs proof that the industrial scene is at an all time
low (probably world-wide), this is it. Something that once was planned
as a big real industrial event with a to-die-for line-up (RE~TG) is now
finally happening as a ATP event with Throbbing Gristle amidst some
halfway interesting indie rock bands. Sad, sad, sad.

CU,
Locke

NP: Einstürzende Neubauten "Malediction"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
Veni Vidi Exii
2004-09-10 18:52:50 UTC
Post by Locke
If anybody still needs proof that the industrial scene is
at an all time low (probably world-wide), this is it.
Something that once was planned as a big real industrial
event with a to-die-for line-up (RE~TG) is now finally
happening as a ATP event with Throbbing Gristle amidst some
halfway interesting indie rock bands. Sad, sad, sad.
Psst. Locke. Industrial has been dead for over 20 years. Stop
felching the corpse.
--
-Chris
"The 80s sucked in the 80s, and they still suck now."

"For that much man-on-man power, you had to step over into the
German industrial theme, the most manly music of all time."
- Hans Bunschlapen, of Zeigenbock Kopf
Locke
2004-09-12 12:21:41 UTC
Please let me quote Veni Vidi Exii...
|Locke <***@mad.scientist.com> wrote ...
|> If anybody still needs proof that the industrial scene is
|> at an all time low (probably world-wide), this is it.
|> Something that once was planned as a big real industrial
|> event with a to-die-for line-up (RE~TG) is now finally
|> happening as a ATP event with Throbbing Gristle amidst some
|> halfway interesting indie rock bands. Sad, sad, sad.
|
|Psst. Locke. Industrial has been dead for over 20 years. Stop
|felching the corpse.

Yeah, attentive readers of RMI know very well that you hold this
opinion. They probably also know that I don't agree with it.
But neither opinion doesn't change a bit about the facts of the sad
development of the plans for the RE~TG event.

CU,
Locke

NP: Throbbing Gristle "Now"
Veni Vidi Exii
2004-09-16 18:15:54 UTC
Post by Locke
Yeah, attentive readers of RMI know very well that you hold
this opinion. They probably also know that I don't agree
with it. But neither opinion doesn't change a bit about the
facts of the sad development of the plans for the RE~TG
event.
Yeah, no kidding. Now someone might have to lower themselves
and listen to music that isn't as obviously post-industrial in
nature in order to see some of their favorite bands perform.
The horror! The madness! How can people survive on a diet of
... gasp! ... melody!

Locke
2004-09-19 10:41:40 UTC
Please let me quote Veni Vidi Exii...
|Locke <***@mad.scientist.com> wrote in
|> Yeah, attentive readers of RMI know very well that you hold
|> this opinion. They probably also know that I don't agree
|> with it. But neither opinion doesn't change a bit about the
|> facts of the sad development of the plans for the RE~TG
|> event.
|
|Yeah, no kidding. Now someone might have to lower themselves
|and listen to music that isn't as obviously post-industrial in
|nature in order to see some of their favorite bands perform.
|The horror! The madness! How can people survive on a diet of
|... gasp! ... melody!

Melody or no melody ... that's not the issue here. If you'd taken the
time and studied the line up of both the originally planned and the
actually happening event you would probably realize it, too.

RE~TG as it was planned was an event that should've reflected the status
of industrial culture at the beginning of the 21st century. The
original industrial artists Throbbing Gristle would have presented their
current view on the state of affairs, their members could have shown
their present projects and occupation, and likeminded artists, chosen by
the original Industrial Records personnel, would have performed as well.
Undoubtely this could have been the closest somebody ever could come to
an old school industrial event in 2004, regardless if you consider the
genre to be dead or not.

But unfortunately, due to business constraints, the event did not happen
and is now replaced by a standard indie rock festival were the
organizers use the draw of a one time TG reunion to attract the fan
contingent to fill their venue. Apparently, the rest of the line-up
wasn't good enough on its own, so the festival organizers used their
contract with Throbbing Gristle to their advantage. TG are no longer
associated with the choice of the bands, therefore the character of the
whole event is not the same anymore.

For the original RE~TG event I had considered to travel to Britain, not
because of the TG appearance itself but because of the complete package.
The Nightmare Before Christmas replacement is not nearly as attractive,
even though I like some of the bands performing, like TG, Shellac and
The Fall. And I think many people think the same.

CU,
Locke

NP: Mark Stewart "As the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade"
Veni Vidi Exii
2004-09-20 21:23:41 UTC
Post by Locke
Melody or no melody ... that's not the issue here. If
you'd taken the time and studied the line up of both the
originally planned and the actually happening event you
would probably realize it, too.
I'm familiar with both events. I find the idea of Mercury
Rev, Wolf Eyes, and The Fall sharing a stage to be of slightly
more merit than the dated lineup from RE~TG.
Post by Locke
RE~TG as it was planned was an event that should've
reflected the status of industrial culture at the beginning
of the 21st century. The original industrial artists
Throbbing Gristle would have presented their current view
on the state of affairs, their members could have shown
their present projects and occupation, and likeminded
artists, chosen by the original Industrial Records
personnel, would have performed as well.
Right, such industrial pioneers as The Soft Pink Truth, Black
Dice, Matmos, Andy Weatherall, Merzbow and Alec Empire. How
is this any less divergent than ATP?
Post by Locke
For the original RE~TG event I had considered to travel to
Britain, not because of the TG appearance itself but
because of the complete package. The Nightmare Before
Christmas replacement is not nearly as attractive, even
though I like some of the bands performing, like TG,
Shellac and The Fall. And I think many people think the
same.
Welcome to a world where no one wants to pay to see a bunch of
50 year old men give a 20+ year old, outdated showing of what
they consider cutting edge. I'm sorry that you think The Fall
to be of less stature than Matmos. You should just stop
listening to music altogether, your memories and idealized
visions are probably better than the reality at this point.

Locke
2004-09-22 10:55:38 UTC
Please let me quote Veni Vidi Exii...
|I'm familiar with both events. I find the idea of Mercury
|Rev, Wolf Eyes, and The Fall sharing a stage to be of slightly
|more merit than the dated lineup from RE~TG.

Okay, it all comes down to personal taste. Finally there's something
positive that can be said about the Nightmare Before Christmas event,
Veni Vidi Exii thinks that the line-up is better ...

|Right, such industrial pioneers as The Soft Pink Truth, Black
|Dice, Matmos, Andy Weatherall, Merzbow and Alec Empire. How
|is this any less divergent than ATP?

Oh, I thought you had read RMI long enough to realize that the
industrial scene (in the old-school sense) was more about philosophy and
approach than about a common sound. You're playing the elitist card
quite often, so I'm surprised that you won't acknowledge this little
facet this time.

|Welcome to a world where no one wants to pay to see a bunch of
|50 year old men give a 20+ year old, outdated showing of what
|they consider cutting edge.

Actually, nobody made the claim about anything being 'cutting edge'.
Instead it was made clear that this was a showcase of the current status
of a rather old scene. I also don't know what you think is wrong with
50 years old men making music. Creativity is not a matter of age, and I
had hoped you would be more intelligent than to fall for the youth
obsession of modern media.

| I'm sorry that you think The Fall
|to be of less stature than Matmos. You should just stop
|listening to music altogether, your memories and idealized
|visions are probably better than the reality at this point.

Well, thanks that you care so much, but there's enough current music to
listen to and enjoy. Maybe not in the mainstream or some sort of
homogeneous scene, but there are bits here and there that make me happy.
I'm just still disappointed that RE~TG didn't work out as planned.

CU,
Locke

NP: Einstürzende Neubauten "Perpetuum Mobile"
Soterro
2004-09-22 14:09:59 UTC
Post by Locke
Oh, I thought you had read RMI long enough to realize that the
industrial scene (in the old-school sense) was more about philosophy and
approach than about a common sound.
That links everything together to the 'sorry state of RMI today' thread.
Research and philosphy moved on into other territories, probably after
facing their defeat in the industrial area. There are some stubborn 50
year old which keep on haunting this deserted land, but the younger
explore nowadays other boundaries. This of course doesn't mean that
there's nothing here to be discovered anymore, or that it is right to be
that way. It's just the way it is now.

Veni Vidi Exii
2004-09-23 22:02:14 UTC
Post by Locke
Oh, I thought you had read RMI long enough to realize that
the industrial scene (in the old-school sense) was more
about philosophy and approach than about a common sound.
You're playing the elitist card quite often, so I'm
surprised that you won't acknowledge this little facet this
time.
Philosophy and approach ... so how is Soft Pink Truth more
industrial than Wolf Eyes or The Fall? They're *house music.*

You can make sweeping statements like this, but you can't back
them up. If you can, I challenge you to. Go ahead. Explain
how Soft Pink Truth are industrial. I'm waiting.

Locke
2004-09-24 18:48:47 UTC
Please let me quote Veni Vidi Exii...
|Philosophy and approach ... so how is Soft Pink Truth more
|industrial than Wolf Eyes or The Fall? They're *house music.*
|
|You can make sweeping statements like this, but you can't back
|them up. If you can, I challenge you to. Go ahead. Explain
|how Soft Pink Truth are industrial. I'm waiting.

Actually no, I can't back them up, I don't have to. The line-up for
RE~TG was put together by Throbbing Gristle and their associates and we
can only speculate why certain artists were on the list and others were
not. The bands for RE~TG were selected by Throbbing Gristle, and the
event was going to be organized by the current owners of the remains of
Industrial Records. The current replacement festival was put together
by faceless music promoters - these are the facts that are important as
far as scene relevance goes.

The fact that you like the current line-up better while I preferred the
first is just a matter of personal tastes and therefore irrelevant.

Now if you still care for my theory why Soft Pink Truth were important
enough for RE~TG, then I would say it was just an side step from the
appearance of Matmos, who owe a lot to industrial with their musique
concrete approach to sound experimentation. But as I said, it's just my
personal speculation without any claim for being the truth.

CU,
Locke

NP: Laibach "W.A.T."
2004-09-25 10:17:03 UTC
... Matmos, who owe a lot to industrial with their musique
concrete approach to sound experimentation.
I'd say that since they have promoted themselves through
rec.music.industrial in the past we can safely claim them for
ourselves.
Veni Vidi Exii
2004-09-27 20:09:45 UTC
Post by Locke
Actually no, I can't back them up, I don't have to.
Hooray! Fanboyism!
Post by Locke
The current replacement
festival was put together by faceless music promoters -
these are the facts that are important as far as scene
relevance goes.
Yeah, man, those money grubbers who put on Wolf Eyes. After
their last #1 single, they really bring in the kids, right? No
passion for music in those folks.

Its like arguing with a Grateful Dead fan. I'm done here.

Locke
2004-09-28 08:33:56 UTC
Please let me quote Veni Vidi Exii...
|Locke <***@mad.scientist.com> wrote
|> The current replacement
|> festival was put together by faceless music promoters -
|> these are the facts that are important as far as scene
|> relevance goes.
|
|Yeah, man, those money grubbers who put on Wolf Eyes. After
|their last #1 single, they really bring in the kids, right? No
|passion for music in those folks.

Actually, I assume that Wolf Eyes are just filler on the bill.
The bands who should 'bring in the kids' as you say would be the
headliners, like Throbbing Gristle, the Fall or Shellac.

|Its like arguing with a Grateful Dead fan. I'm done here.

Wolf Eyes or the Dead, I don't see where the big difference is.
But if you wish we can give this topic a rest.

CU,
Locke

NP: Cyclobe "The Visitors"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
f***@gmail.com
2005-01-01 12:00:18 UTC
Did anyone go to the Dec event? What was the opinion of the Astoria
show?

Of course the one thing about the original Camber Sands lineup is that
COIL would have performed.

By the way, I have hours of free MP3 interviews with TG on my website
(Mobilization.com)
Just email me for a password through the site.
-Ethan
tg23pass at (the site)
F-SPACE / Savage Republic
Blood 'n' Tongue
2005-01-02 02:25:36 UTC
I didn't got to the event, but did pick up a copy of the double CD
recording of it. It would have been a great show as the CD kicks ass.
It's amazing that they can still pull it together. It starts like a
monster waking up after a long hibernation and then, when the beast does
wake up, it flexes it's muscles with all the sinister tension of so long
ago. It's great to finally hear a professionally recorded live TG show.
They did lots of new material too, but some great re-interpretations
of classics like What A Day, Hamburger Lady and Convincing People.
Highly recommended!

I'll send an email from my proper address for the password.

Thanks!
www.blood-n-tongue.net
www.themysterons.net