Satanstornade?
Shervin Fatehi
2003-07-17 14:47:52 UTC
Hey, folks,

In the light of the following dream, what (if anything) do you guys
know/think about the Satanstornade CD? I *do* know that it's not a light
dance record, just for the, uh, record. :)

I dreamt that I was travelling through a giant forest to get to a huge tree
that was much taller and wider yet than a redwood; it was hollow in the
center and cut off at about 3/4 height, though, like a huge rotten stump. I
arrived in a room at its center, tastefully decorated and with a caterer's
table in one corner, where a release party was being held for the
Satanstornade CD from Warp Records (being a collaboration between Masami
Akita [Merzbow] and Russell Haswell). Everybody at the party was slagging
the CD (which, I should note, I haven't heard), which upset the
distressingly rat-like Akita and made Haswell, who in my dream was played by
a Spartacus-era Tony Curtis, bleed his copious eyeliner all over the damn
place. After listening to the whole CD, which was inexplicably a light dance
record somehow spirited out of screeching analog and digital electronics, I
found that I was still the only one who liked it (not even my Dad, whose
presence in the dream is inexplicable enough, could be so removed from his
actual patterns of behavior as to like it). As I began to feel my isolation
more acutely, I somehow changed the CD into a small box which sucked me in
via a whirling vortex. Inside I found myself as a transparent eye,
controlling a Super NES-style RPG starring Akita and Haswell in which they
whomped the shit out of Mousers (yeah, the ones from Ninja Turtles). Having
beaten the game and become even more convinced of the duo's genius, I
assured them as such. Then I woke up, totally mystified. :)

Thanks in advance!
Shervin (GKL)
np: nothing
Shervin Fatehi
2003-07-30 04:13:30 UTC
Post by Shervin Fatehi
In the light of the following dream, what (if anything) do you guys
know/think about the Satanstornade CD? I *do* know that it's not a light
dance record, just for the, uh, record. :)
I don't have it, but heard it over at a friend's place. I thought it
was quite enjoyable, a solid noise assault not suffering as much as
I feared from Haswell's presence. Their previous collaboration (the
LP 'Ich Schnitt Mich in den Finger' on Mego a few years back) was a
pretty terrible affair.
Ah, interesting. So have you heard any good power electronics recently,
Marten (the new Whitehouse aside ;)? I've been getting a hankering to buy
some music recently...

Shervin (GKL)
np: OMD, Architecture and Morality, "She's Leaving"
M. Sahlen
2003-07-30 11:50:20 UTC
Post by Shervin Fatehi
Ah, interesting. So have you heard any good power electronics recently,
Marten (the new Whitehouse aside ;)? I've been getting a hankering to buy
some music recently...
To tell you the truth, I haven't kept up at all with what's cooking
in the power electronics scene lately. I think I heard there's a new
Genocide Organ album, which is probably worth checking out. As for
Whitehouse, the last one I heard was 'Halogen', they never belonged
to my favorites. Oh yeah, I just remembered... the new Institut,
'Live Like Traitors, Die Like Traitors' is awesome... at least the
first half of it. Finally they managed to capture the intensity of
their live shows on disc.

// Marten

np: Beequeen - 'Gund'
Zoviet Squid
2003-07-30 18:19:27 UTC
Post by M. Sahlen
Post by Shervin Fatehi
Ah, interesting. So have you heard any good power electronics recently,
Marten (the new Whitehouse aside ;)? I've been getting a hankering to buy
some music recently...
To tell you the truth, I haven't kept up at all with what's cooking
in the power electronics scene lately. I think I heard there's a new
Genocide Organ album, which is probably worth checking out. As for
Whitehouse, the last one I heard was 'Halogen', they never belonged
to my favorites. Oh yeah, I just remembered... the new Institut,
'Live Like Traitors, Die Like Traitors' is awesome... at least the
first half of it. Finally they managed to capture the intensity of
their live shows on disc.
Not sure if you'd call it strictly power electronics, but the new Haus Arafna
is excellent in all its preternatural rage.

The Genocide Organ S/T that was recently released is great if you crave
experiments in ultra lo-fi background noise.

I picked up Navicon Torture Technologies latest 'church of dead girls' on a
whim. It's decent for what it is. I have a few of his limited CDR releases
and they've always been alright, the best part being the range of sounds he's
capable of using. I was hoping this latest release would be a bit 'more' but
really it's your basic harsh noise/power electronics release: heavy on the bass
and midrange distortion, some interesting use of sound samples, and some
not-so-interesting use of movie samples. Plus it does absolutely nothing to
break away from the most basic of power electronic cliches. Beautiful
packaging if you don't mind the cheesy black metal aesthetics and usual
mysogynistic rote.

--zs

np: caul--a golden epiphany: the golden section

"shit...everything shits until it dies."--Bukowski
Shervin Fatehi
2003-07-31 03:37:06 UTC
Post by Zoviet Squid
Not sure if you'd call it strictly power electronics, but the new Haus Arafna
is excellent in all its preternatural rage.
There's a new one??? Holy shit! I'll make sure to check it out. Is it
similar to the Für Immer 7"? I prefer Children of God, but I'm still
interested to see where they're going...
Post by Zoviet Squid
The Genocide Organ S/T that was recently released is great if you crave
experiments in ultra lo-fi background noise.
Egh, I got that one. It pretty much bored the pants offa me, except for
White Power Forces (I think it was on there? - tells you how much I listened
to it). And the version of In the Ghetto was nothing like what I saw in
concert -- again, really boring.

Shervin (GKL)
np: nothing
Zoviet Squid
2003-07-31 05:51:36 UTC
Post by Zoviet Squid
is excellent in all its preternatural rage.
There's a new one??? Holy shit! I'll make sure to check it out. Is it
similar to the Für Immer 7"? I prefer Children of God, but I'm still
interested to see where they're going...
The Fur Immer 7" is a pretty good indication of what 'Butterfly' (this new one)
is like. Plus there's a different version of 'Fur Immer' on there that I think
is a lot better. It's a little more toned down than 'Children of God' but
still electrifyingly harsh in places. It's a kind of medium between
'Children...' and their November Novelette project, I'd say. Definately one of
the best albums I've recently bought.

--zs

"shit...everything shits until it dies."--Bukowski
M. Sahlen
2003-07-31 11:14:06 UTC
About the Institut - how does it compare to Unto the Last Man
(if you've heard it)?
I've followed Institut for quite a long time, and always been blown
away by their shows... first one I attended was in 98. Similarly I've
picked up all their releases since their tapes from the pre-CMI days,
but not until lately have I felt that they deliver what they are
capable of. The 'Unto the Last Man' 7" was good I thought, but the
new album is even better. It's got a really harsh, dirty feel to it,
and the rhythm loops are to die for. I don't think you'd be
disappointed.

// Marten