Industrial/Gothic music trading group
sautmanreid
2004-01-18 03:05:00 UTC
If you are looking for a trading group, please check out:

This is a new group for anyone looking to expand their music collection
wether it be Industrial,Goth,Noize,EBM, Synthpop, Ethereal,Dark Metal and so
on. Post a list of your wants/haves for trade in the files and work deals
out with other members who have music you want. Discuss live events,clubs
and anything else related to music or anything!

New members are encouraged introduce themselves to the list via a welcome
message.
Keef
2004-01-19 09:47:33 UTC
Post by sautmanreid
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/industrialcdtrade
This is a new group for anyone looking to expand their music collection
wether it be Industrial,Goth,Noize,EBM, Synthpop, Ethereal,Dark Metal and so
on. Post a list of your wants/haves for trade in the files and work deals
out with other members who have music you want. Discuss live events,clubs
and anything else related to music or anything!
New members are encouraged introduce themselves to the list via a welcome
message.
It's incredible that a scene where there are only a thousand or two
sold of even the biggest releases has the most CD trading, but I
suppose you always hurt the thing you love most.

As far as I'm concerned if you don't at least buy the music to keep
the scene alive then the labels will fold and you'll be down to the
impossible trudging of looking through freely available mp3 sites in
the hope of finding something good.

At least you're discussing clubs and live events so there's SOMETHING
positive there.

I remember meeting a guy who claimed to be the biggest noise fan ever
and I once went to his house. While there I thought I'd look at his
CDs.

Marylin Manson
Nine Inch Nails.

"Where's all your noise stuff?", I asked. And he brought out a huge CD
wallet with CD-Rs in it. Not a single original CD in the pile. Some
fan eh?

I don't expect any of this to change at all because I know it never
will, but will you people PLEASE buy the odd CD now and then? Like
maybe just the ones by your favourite act or something.

Otherwise how are we going to keep the music we love alive?
sautmanreid
2004-01-19 19:39:06 UTC
For what it is worth, I've bought 100 original CD's in the last 2 months.
However, some of us also enjoy stuff that is out-of-print, very hard to find
imports, live concerts, or try out new groups.
Keef
2004-01-19 23:11:23 UTC
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:39:06 GMT, "sautmanreid"
Post by sautmanreid
For what it is worth, I've bought 100 original CD's in the last 2 months.
However, some of us also enjoy stuff that is out-of-print, very hard to find
imports, live concerts, or try out new groups.
Out of print stuff is different and I can understand the argument for
new groups, but most sites these days have adequate samples on them.

But excellent. To be honest I wish I had the cash to purchase 100 CDs
in 2 months!!!
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
Todd Clayton
2004-01-20 05:04:12 UTC
Post by Keef
Out of print stuff is different and I can understand the argument for
new groups, but most sites these days have adequate samples on them.
But excellent. To be honest I wish I had the cash to purchase 100 CDs
in 2 months!!!
I wish I could find 100 CDs worth buying in 2 months!

Even in my heyday back in 1999, I was only buying about 20 a month.
--
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| Todd Clayton aka DJ Todd | Real Synthetic Audio |
swear that only the other one snores." Terry Pratchett
Keef
2004-01-20 12:41:20 UTC
Post by Todd Clayton
Post by Keef
Out of print stuff is different and I can understand the argument for
new groups, but most sites these days have adequate samples on them.
But excellent. To be honest I wish I had the cash to purchase 100 CDs
in 2 months!!!
I wish I could find 100 CDs worth buying in 2 months!
Even in my heyday back in 1999, I was only buying about 20 a month.
Fair point! I think I have a list of about 50 I want to get but I'm
having to be Mr Stingy at the moment.

Of course when my album comes out on n5md you're all going to buy it
right??
iceolate
right??
Keef
2004-04-02 17:37:42 UTC
Post by iceolate
Post by Keef
Fair point! I think I have a list of about 50 I want to get but I'm
having to be Mr Stingy at the moment.
Of course when my album comes out on n5md you're all going to buy it
right??
That depends, where can I download it?
:
B-Boom Tisssh!
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"

Delameko Stone
2004-01-20 16:38:03 UTC
Post by sautmanreid
For what it is worth, I've bought 100 original CD's in the last 2 months.
However, some of us also enjoy stuff that is out-of-print, very hard to find
imports, live concerts, or try out new groups.
Out of print stuff is different and I can understand the argument for
new groups, but most sites these days have adequate samples on them.
I use newsgroups to discover stuff, mostly because to download samples from
a website you have to have heard of the band first (just to note I also
discover stuff from online radio and from people mentioning artists on here
and forums). People upload a wide variety of stuff and its a lot easier to
try stuff. But there are far too many leechers. And in a way I feel sorry
for them. When you buy that really great release, and you've got well put
together/designed packaging, you really tend to appreciate the release more
and give it the attention it really deserves. My friend doesn't buy
anything (the 'no money' excuse), she'll download stuff listen to it once or
twice and then move on - even if she loves it. MP3's are pretty disposable.
Its a shame music appreciation has come to this...
2004-01-21 09:49:39 UTC
Post by Delameko Stone
My friend doesn't buy
anything (the 'no money' excuse), she'll download stuff listen to it once or
twice and then move on - even if she loves it. MP3's are pretty disposable.
Its a shame music appreciation has come to this...
This is also pretty typical for the young gothic/industrial -fan who
feels the need to show off to their friends their knowledge of the
scene. If I'm fully honest I'm a little ashamed sometimes when these
little twerps sometimes talk about bands I should know (I have no idea
to this day, for example, what Controlled Bleeding - or even Hocico -
sound like), but like in one of the posts above their record
collections consist mostly of the likes of Marilyn Manson or
Radiohead. It's almost as if it's being sold in the biggest record
chains then it's eligible for support.

Personally, I don't think it's fully acceptable to copy records by
acts that don't sell over, say, 30, 000 units. Unless we are talking
about rarities or you're a relative newcomer and have an aching desire
to discover more. Then of course there is always the "no money"
-factor, but if you can afford to buy alcohol you can afford to buy
CDs.
Keef
2004-01-21 10:24:33 UTC
Post by ...
It's almost as if it's being sold in the biggest record
chains then it's eligible for support.
Yeah, or if they don't see it in their local HMV then they think it's
not a real album or something

Its not hard to buy this stuff there are a million online places that
do it!
Post by ...
Personally, I don't think it's fully acceptable to copy records by
acts that don't sell over, say, 30, 000 units.
And you'd be hard pushed to find an act that DOES in this scene these
days. Unless you're VNV Nation.
Post by ...
Then of course there is always the "no money"
-factor, but if you can afford to buy alcohol you can afford to buy
CDs.
Yep! Costs about the same as a night in the pub!
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
2004-01-24 09:27:32 UTC
Post by Keef
And you'd be hard pushed to find an act that DOES in this scene these
days. Unless you're VNV Nation.
Okay 30, 000 might be a quite harsh figure, but I was just speculating
in terms of whether the artists in question manages to make some sort
of living out of their music and has had a long substantial career
with a broad back catalog. Naturally, I don't think even the artists
themselves have anything against people making an occasional copy for
personal use, but I just think it's rather suspicious to
systematically seek to expand your "industrial leverage" by getting as
many titles by as many different low-profile acts as possible - wasn't
the whole point of underground music to oppose the disposable nature
of contemporary music in the first place? And it's always interesting
to notice how many people who claim to listen to noise stuff don't
think it's worth actual money.

Besides, collecting CD-Rs is for kids anyway.
Keef
2004-01-25 00:56:05 UTC
Post by ...
And it's always interesting
to notice how many people who claim to listen to noise stuff don't
think it's worth actual money.
That's an incredibly good sentence that hits the nail on the head!

The whole soulseek generation has killed the idea of depth of music
and a lot of people see this music as a badge to wear rather than
music to listen to!!

It seems for some people to be a style choice than a music choice and
therefore not worth cash!
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
Sound Mirror
2004-01-25 07:34:20 UTC
Post by Keef
The whole soulseek generation has killed the idea of depth of music
and a lot of people see this music as a badge to wear rather than
music to listen to!!
That only applies to people who never buy music. Take away P2P and I'll sure
as hell find less CDs to buy.
Keef
2004-01-25 18:56:56 UTC
Post by Sound Mirror
Post by Keef
The whole soulseek generation has killed the idea of depth of music
and a lot of people see this music as a badge to wear rather than
music to listen to!!
That only applies to people who never buy music. Take away P2P and I'll sure
as hell find less CDs to buy.
Yeah, that's fair too.
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
GOD
2004-01-26 09:19:57 UTC
If I'm fully honest I'm a little ashamed sometimes when these little
twerps sometimes talk about bands I should know (I have no idea
to this day, for example, what Controlled Bleeding - or even Hocico - sound
like)<<

if you don't mind downloading and using an Abbacast client, you can check
out www.c895fm.com, it's based out of the Nathan Hale high in Seattle, WA
it's a highschool radio station that plays 6 hrs of gothic/industrial music
on the show "on the edge" on Sunday night 6pm PST to midnight. the DJ plays
both of those bands as well as VNV Nation, Gliss, the list goes on... the
thing I love about the DJ Paul Alienkoff is that he'll announce exactly what
each and every song is that he plays... most of the time he also states what
label they're with.
2004-01-27 11:09:55 UTC
Post by GOD
the DJ plays
both of those bands as well as VNV Nation, Gliss, the list goes on... the
thing I love about the DJ Paul Alienkoff is that he'll announce exactly what
each and every song is that he plays... most of the time he also states what
label they're with.
Heh, thanks for the info. Right on, but I'm not sure if I even care to
know that much what Hocico sounds like... :-)