Blind Lemon Kraftwerk
Red Drag Diva
2007-05-25 08:14:12 UTC
Blind Lemon Kraftwerk ("cotton mill" in German) was a German electric
Krautblues band of considerable influence.

The story of Blind Lemon Kraftwerk is a powerful cautionary tale of the
music industry's appalling and continued abuse and exploitation of
authentic cultures. Like many German musicians of the 1970s, they had a
pioneering role in the development of black culture and hip-hop music,
and their authentic cultural heritage was stolen by the wily New York MC
and turned into Detroit techno and gangsta rap.

Early German blues music traces its origins to such Krautblues artists
as Blind Lemon Karlheinz Stockhausen, Blind Lemon Walter^WWendy Carlos,
Blind Lemon Conny Plank and Blind Lemon Radiophonic Workshop. The last
in particular was responsible for the powerfully influential and
much-copied "Doctor Who Theme" riff and its haunting symphonic lyricism.

Krautblues was born in Germany, raised in the wretchedness of the
Marshall Plan and forged in the furnace of social democracy. It is the
music of a beaten but unoppressed people, unique because of its honesty,
dignity, defiance, and its ultimate middle-class truth.

Blind Lemon Kraftwerk formed when Mississippi Ralf Hütter and Lightnin'
Florian Schneider met on the banks of the Kling Klang delta in
Düsseldorf. They discovered a common interest in the authentic
Krautblues culture and how to deal with encroaching American cultural
influence.

Their breakthrough album was 1975's Fahr'n Fahr'n Fahr'n Auf Der
Autobahn Blues, with the title track's haunting symphonic lyricism:

Fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn
Fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn
Ich habe der fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn blues.

This popularised the twelve-bar "motorik" beat, as used by fellow Germans
Television on their punk rock hit "Marquee Moon".

Their 1978 album, Trans-Delta Express, featuring the hit song "The
Krautblues Had A Baby And They Called It Eurodisco", made its way to New
York, where Afrika Bambaataa and Colonel Arthur Baker heard a copy and
promptly ripped it off for their dancefloor hit "Pat Boone Presents
Planet Rock":

I am ze operator viz my pimps and ho's
I am ze operator viz my pimps and ho's
I've got those fun fun fun on der Autobahn blues.

"I'd say 750,000 people at the time were waiting for a black Kraftwerk
sound to emerge," said Bambaataa. Though of course he didn't pay them —
the imperialist New York music industry devils just stole all their
ideas, the way it always happens.

In the late 1970s, Sylvia Robinson, the genius behind genre-bending
Sugarhill Records, reportedly said "if I could only find a black boy
with the monotonous enunciation of a German, I could make a million
dollars." She found that black boy, and that black boy began cutting
Krautblues sides written by Big Boy Neu!, Little Junior Tangerine Dream
and Blind Lemon Faust. That boy’s name was Melle Mel, rapping with
Grandmaster Flash. And people thought the haunting symphonic lyricism of
"The Message" was original:

Don't - push - me - 'cos I'm - close to theee - eeedge
Don't - push — me - 'cos I'm - close to theee - eeedge
I'm try-ing — not to have them fun fun fun in the Auto Barn blues!

The Def Jam Invasion was fueled by German Krautblues. The beat goes on
with continuing CD sales, techno festivals, Eurodisco documentaries,
original 1983 first pressings of "Blue Monday", t-shirts, posters and
even a sizeable internet market for instructional videos such as How To
Play Moog Like Blind Giorgio Moroder. These are just a few examples of
the extent of the cultural theft of German music.

Germans have attempted to claim back their music. Notable examples
include Marschall "Emundem" Matters, with his lyrical symphony about a
haunting, Das Echte Dünne Schattige. Sadly, his only reward was a string
of number one albums and buckets and gobs and wads of cash, as well as
coke and fame and chicks. Mark E. Smith's fate was even worse: to become
a post-punk cultural institution.

Blind Lemon Kraftwerk died on a disco dancefloor in a snow storm in
segregated Berlin. It was regarded as such an inconsequentially
bourgeois event that no death certificate was issued, allowing the band
to come back for its 2000 tour of France, a mere shadow of its former
self, and have dumptrucks full of money forced upon it by Ecstasy-addled
ravers.

(These people proclaim what sincere fans of the Krautblues they are. But
would they ever take a moment to think what life was actually like in
Düsseldorf back then? And I can assure them, it isn't much better now.)

Techno, trance, industrial, gangsta rap — all owe their existence to the
Krautblues. Every "Funky Cold Medina" takes Deutschmarks out of their
pockets. Award-winning black artists such as Yaz and the Art Of Noise
lifted their entire gig directly from Blind Lemon Kraftwerk. The New
York music industry power structure stole the Krautblues from the German
community simply because they could. It was not given away for free, and
billions of dollars were made on the bleeps. It is time for the music
industry to pay the bill.

Can blue men sing the whites?
--
http://reddragdiva.co.uk/ http://reddragdiva.livejournal.com/
"Having to infer what Unix is solely from a copy of the GNU Manifesto is
not really an exercise you want to undertake." (AdB)
Thomas Mayer
2007-05-25 09:59:32 UTC
Nice Story, but let me make some annotations.
Post by Red Drag Diva
In the late 1970s, Sylvia Robinson, the genius behind genre-bending
Sugarhill Records, reportedly said "if I could only find a black boy
with the monotonous enunciation of a German, I could make a million
dollars."
If you watch movies like "Wild Style" or "Beat Streat", you can see not
only African-American artists, but also Hispano-Americans and
White-Americans. In the beginning it was not an issue of skin colour,
but one of growing up in poverty.
Post by Red Drag Diva
The Def Jam Invasion was fueled by German Krautblues. The beat goes on
with continuing CD sales, techno festivals, Eurodisco documentaries,
original 1983 first pressings of "Blue Monday", t-shirts, posters and
even a sizeable internet market for instructional videos such as How To
Play Moog Like Blind Giorgio Moroder. These are just a few examples of
the extent of the cultural theft of German music.
Although Giorgio Moroder had his studio in Munich, he was Italian, to be
precise from South Tyrol.
Post by Red Drag Diva
Can blue men sing the whites?
Have you heard the F.S.K. album "First Take, Then Shake", which was
remixed by Anthony Shake Shakir right after recording. The track that
fits your story is called "Kinski Jones" with the line (about Quincy
Jones): Was Robert Johnson für die Rolling Stones, war Kraftwerk für den
Motor City Sohn (transl: What was Robert Johnson for the Rolling Stones,
Kraftwerk was for the son of Motor City).

cu Thomas
--
"Prisons are needed only to provide the illusion that courts and police
are effective. They're a kind of job insurance."
http://thomas.dergrossebruder.org/
Paul Arthur
2007-05-25 13:15:34 UTC
Post by Red Drag Diva
The Def Jam Invasion was fueled by German Krautblues. The beat goes on
the extent of the cultural theft of German music.
Although Giorgio Moroder had his studio in Munich, he was Italian, to be
precise from South Tyrol.
Post by Red Drag Diva
Can blue men sing the whites?
fits your story is called "Kinski Jones" with the line (about Quincy
Motor City Sohn (transl: What was Robert Johnson for the Rolling Stones,
I nominate for QVFD per UN:HTBFANJS.

"I hated it."
--Oscar Wilde on music.
Eat the rich -- the poor are tough and stringy.
`una
2007-05-30 08:33:37 UTC
Post by Thomas Mayer
Post by Red Drag Diva
In the late 1970s, Sylvia Robinson, the genius behind genre-bending
Sugarhill Records, reportedly said "if I could only find a black boy
with the monotonous enunciation of a German, I could make a million
dollars."
If you watch movies like "Wild Style" or "Beat Streat", you can see not
only African-American artists, but also Hispano-Americans and
White-Americans. In the beginning it was not an issue of skin colour,
but one of growing up in poverty.
Are you trying to use movies that were made in the early 80s
as a counterpoint to something that was said in the 70s?
Or are you trying to say that movies are somehow an accurate
representation of history?

`una - movies aren't usually considered reliable sources
--
the young locust
Official Fluffer of a.g
T Jr Hardman
2007-05-26 00:16:54 UTC
Post by Red Drag Diva
Blind Lemon Kraftwerk ("cotton mill" in German) was a German electric
Krautblues band of considerable influence.
<snips />
Post by Red Drag Diva
Techno, trance, industrial, gangsta rap — all owe their existence to the
Krautblues. Every "Funky Cold Medina" takes Deutschmarks out of their
pockets. Award-winning black artists such as Yaz and the Art Of Noise
lifted their entire gig directly from Blind Lemon Kraftwerk. The New
York music industry power structure stole the Krautblues from the German
community simply because they could. It was not given away for free, and
billions of dollars were made on the bleeps. It is time for the music
industry to pay the bill.
Can blue men sing the whites?
Surrealism Award of the Year goes to Mr Diva?
--
http://thomashardman.com/ Centrist, Moderate, Republican in Maryland
A true Conservative isn't about to let