Bootleg gig recording
Keef
2004-12-22 10:17:47 UTC
Why is a bootleg recording of a gig so much better than a recording
straight off the desk? A minidisc player with a mic just sounds so
much more authentic.

It just seems to sound more alive, and of course hearing my mate Carl
shouting, "Play something less ghey!" Was brilliant. Also the set ends
with the classic, "What a load of shite!" from mofette.

So here is a bootleg recording of the gig on the 15th complete with 2
mins of a reboot at the start, people talking and all the bloody
mistakes.

http://www.keefbaker.co.uk/keeflive.mp3
Keef Baker Live at The George, Leeds (bootleg recording) On 15th Dec
2004

Be warned it's a 25 meg download.

Ok, so this shows that while I was right to feel it could have gone
better, I was also wrong to think it was as bad as I did, as it's
still not too bad.
5inusoid
2004-12-23 02:06:57 UTC
Post by Keef
Why is a bootleg recording of a gig so much better than a recording
straight off the desk? A minidisc player with a mic just sounds so
much more authentic.
A board recording will be predominately Vox and Drums. Since guitars and
bass have their own amplifiers, they're not usually put too loudly through
the house P.A. (in small to medium sized clubs). A mic'ed MD recording more
accurately reflects the sound in the room as opposed to the board recording,
which reflects whats coming out of the P.A. speakers.
dj_evol_eno
2004-12-30 20:15:08 UTC
Exactly what I was going to say...
Plus, shows from different venues will sound different (if you have a
good sound guy) as they should work the sound to fit the room. What
will sound good in the club might not sound good recorded and played
back in your walkman.

5inusoid
2004-12-23 02:09:42 UTC
Oh, you're playing your set from a laptop.(Just checked your website).

Errr....

Nevermind.
5inusoid
2004-12-23 02:19:41 UTC