good record stores in NYC
f***@hotmail.com
2006-06-28 21:17:18 UTC
Hi. This question has been asked several times in this newsgroup but
not recently and would really appreciate a refresh in that matter. Can
you tell me if there are good record stores for
goth-ebm-industrial-synth.... in Manhattan? By good record store I mean
a place where I would find great variety of that kind of music, great
prices on imports, used records, etc. etc, and even deals you wouldn´t
find over the internet. I am planning a trip to NYC and while it´s
true you can always buy music over the Internet I would like to have
the experience to get in all the records stores I can, and use all my
time searching music and finding surprises. It will be a music buying
trip in NYC that has always been my dream. Thank you!
SpongeBobFL
2006-06-29 03:38:44 UTC
I'm not sure about Manhattan... but indie record/CD stores are just about a
thing of the past.

I'm in Central Florida and they are gone.. Nothing left but 'big chain'
stores.

<***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:***@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Hi. This question has been asked several times in this newsgroup but
not recently and would really appreciate a refresh in that matter. Can
you tell me if there are good record stores for
goth-ebm-industrial-synth.... in Manhattan? By good record store I mean
a place where I would find great variety of that kind of music, great
prices on imports, used records, etc. etc, and even deals you wouldnŽt
find over the internet. I am planning a trip to NYC and while itŽs
Giru Kun
2006-06-29 16:40:05 UTC
I've only been to NY once, but in Manhattan theres an entire street of
goth/punk etc clothign stores and stuff. St Marks Place AKA 7th st 2nd
Avenue. It was years ago, so I can't quite remember what it had in
stock but there was a 2nd hand Record store there. I do remember that
it was playing Neurosis though.

Girrable.
***@gmail.com
Http://girrable.livejournal.com
Darren Halm
2006-07-30 18:34:46 UTC
Post by f***@hotmail.com
Hi. This question has been asked several times in this newsgroup but
not recently and would really appreciate a refresh in that matter. Can
you tell me if there are good record stores for
goth-ebm-industrial-synth.... in Manhattan? By good record store I mean
a place where I would find great variety of that kind of music, great
prices on imports, used records, etc. etc, and even deals you wouldnŽt
find over the internet. I am planning a trip to NYC and while itŽs
true you can always buy music over the Internet I would like to have
the experience to get in all the records stores I can, and use all my
time searching music and finding surprises. It will be a music buying
trip in NYC that has always been my dream. Thank you!
St. Marks is 8th street,not 7th, between astor place and ave A. The
record store block you're speaking of is St Marks between 2 and 3 ave.
Brent Colflesh
2006-06-29 18:46:38 UTC
Hit Bleeker Bob's:

http://bleeckerbobs.com/

There are a bunch of places in the same general vicinity, the small ones
come and go - just ask them.
Noose Gruppe
2006-06-30 20:19:33 UTC
I'm shocked no one else mentioned KIM's Music and Video by name, the
Godfather of all indie/industrial/experimental/krautrock,etcetcetc, in
NYC It's on St. Mark's around 2nd ave.
And no, I don't work there, I do shop there though. Great selection,
althought the employees attitude/customer service skills have a bit to
be desired... :(
f***@hotmail.com
2006-06-30 22:52:44 UTC
Thank you for all that information!. Listen, I know this might sound
stupid, but since I was planning to take a whole day to go cd hunting,
as I don´t feel confortable carrying a lot of bags (given the case I
was to buy cds in all the stores) I was thinking about carrying a
backpack and once I shop at one store take the cds there and then
continue to the other stores. My question is (as I don´t know the
customs in NYC in that matter) is if it is okay to enter these stores
or other stores like Virgin Mega, Tower or HMV with a backpack and
browse through all the cds. One could think, specially in the small
stores, that I could be a shoplifter and ask me to leave the backpack
with them. What do you think? (I have seen stores doing this so this is
why I asked)
Wayner
2006-07-01 11:19:11 UTC
Save your receipt with each CD bought.Also try out Generation Records near
Bleeker and Thompson,a bit pricey but some gems can be found.
Happy hunting!
WKR

<***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:***@h44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Thank you for all that information!. Listen, I know this might sound
stupid, but since I was planning to take a whole day to go cd hunting,
as I donŽt feel confortable carrying a lot of bags (given the case I
was to buy cds in all the stores) I was thinking about carrying a
backpack and once I shop at one store take the cds there and then
continue to the other stores. My question is (as I donŽt know the