Why are COIL CD's so expensive?
The Space Boss
2007-05-23 07:08:23 UTC
They're available brand new from Amazon, yet they are upwards of $50
per CD.

Something just ain't right about this.
Locke
2007-05-23 09:20:57 UTC
On 23 May 2007 00:08:23 -0700, The Space Boss <***@aol.com> wrote:

|They're available brand new from Amazon, yet they are upwards of $50
|per CD.

I just checked and found your claim not to be true. Most of them were
cheaper than $50 except for a few rarities sold by third party vendors.

|Something just ain't right about this.

Yes, it's easy to explain: you were making a false claim.

And if you were only complaining about the expensive prices, granted -
Coil's works are expensive. Since Coil's long time distributor went
bankrupt a few years ago their own label Threshold House sells the CDs
by themselves nowadays without the logistics of a large distributor.
I could imagine that Amazon buys the CDs from Threshold House like any
other customer adding their profit margin to the original price and
shipping costs. Consider it a fee for being so dumb buying stuff from
Amazon instead of buying from the artists label directly.

Well, and then there is the unfortunate exchange rate for the dollar at
the moment, but that is just bad luck.

CU,
Locke

NP: Autechre "LP5"
--
_ __ ___ _ __ ___ \\|||//
|____|\__/ \__\|_|\_\|___| \__=__/
| |
mimus
2007-05-24 00:29:14 UTC
Post by Locke

|They're available brand new from Amazon, yet they are upwards of $50
|per CD.
I just checked and found your claim not to be true. Most of them were
cheaper than $50 except for a few rarities sold by third party vendors.
|Something just ain't right about this.
Yes, it's easy to explain: you were making a false claim.
And if you were only complaining about the expensive prices, granted -
Coil's works are expensive. Since Coil's long time distributor went
bankrupt a few years ago their own label Threshold House sells the CDs
by themselves nowadays without the logistics of a large distributor.
I could imagine that Amazon buys the CDs from Threshold House like any
other customer adding their profit margin to the original price and
shipping costs. Consider it a fee for being so dumb buying stuff from
Amazon instead of buying from the artists label directly.
Well, and then there is the unfortunate exchange rate for the dollar at
the moment, but that is just bad luck.
It's safe to say it's policy. Whose and why, I know not. Doesn't seem to
be American, anyway. American _working-class_, anyway . . . .
Let there be throbbing.
Drew
2007-05-30 11:20:32 UTC
Post by Locke

|They're available brand new from Amazon, yet they are upwards of $50
|per CD.
I just checked and found your claim not to be true. Most of them were
cheaper than $50 except for a few rarities sold by third party vendors.
Mind you, Sleazy is apparently selling his new CD for an astonishing
25 quid:
http://thresholdhouse.greedbag.com/release/~form-grows-rampant-0/

Anyone heard it?

Sleazy with a boy's choir -- I won't even touch that.
Dave Watson
2007-05-30 22:16:19 UTC
Post by Drew
Post by Locke

|They're available brand new from Amazon, yet they are upwards of $50
|per CD.
I just checked and found your claim not to be true. Most of them were
cheaper than $50 except for a few rarities sold by third party vendors.
Mind you, Sleazy is apparently selling his new CD for an astonishing
http://thresholdhouse.greedbag.com/release/~form-grows-rampant-0/
Anyone heard it?
Sleazy with a boy's choir -- I won't even touch that.
I checked it out, and it also includes a documentary film DVD. That's
still sick expensive, but at least it's not just for the CD.

If that wasn't expensive enough, how about 100 pounds for an 11-minute
CD--including a bottle of absinthe autographed by Sleazy, and two
glasses and two spoons to consume it with?
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (Stretcher CD-R--sevcom.com)
Frezier Balzoff (aka Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email--shlf[at]ncf[dot]ca
Kill worms!! http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/
Drew
2007-06-01 07:42:33 UTC
Post by Dave Watson
Post by Drew
Sleazy with a boy's choir -- I won't even touch that.
I checked it out, and it also includes a documentary film DVD. That's
still sick expensive, but at least it's not just for the CD.
Ah, the thing that confused me was the phrase: "The Threshold
HouseBoys Choir "Form Grows Rampant" is currently only available in CD
format. Thankyou."