Skinny Puppy: The Greater Wrong of the Right
heyman
2004-04-01 02:39:58 UTC
Well it would be nice if that is true, because I agree that it is very
Ohgr-ish. In a way it works out as a transition from the Process, with
the first song or two having some guitar stuff in it. But the beats
are also more techno that I'd hoped for. So if the final CD does end
up being more of a Darker Park, Last Rites 2, as you mention,
personally I'd be thrilled.

They do a lot of voice tricks, almost nauseatingly so (neeeew wooorld
oooorderrrrr blaaaah bleeeaaa) - gah! And it's a short (45 minutes
just seems really puny to me these days) but at least they're back,
even if very different.

Oddly enough the new Run Level Zero was posted the same day, and in a
way it sounds more like what I'd hope Puppy to. In other ways, it's
just a good second album. Totally different type of industrial (4 on
the floor, synths up the ass type stuff), but RLZ is definitely on the
top of my list. I just hope the final Puppy release actually stears
AWAY from that, because there's enough RLZ/Funker
Vogt/techno-with-lyrics crap going on. Put some horror show back into
it! (ALA TDP, Cleanse/Fold/Manipulate... *sigh*)
It's already leaked to the net. According to Dre Robinson, who worked
on the album, they are not the final mixes, though. People who've
heard it are complaining that it's too "Ohgr-ish" whatever that means.
Apparently, they expected it to be "Even Darker Park" or "The Really
Absolutely Last Rights." ;o)
heyman
2004-04-01 02:44:50 UTC
Yes, it does seem like a Process II.. at least the version that is in
a.b.mp3.g-i... I just hope that isnt' the final mix. Good work with
the vocals, except in some places, and drums.. but not the kind of
experimentalish, trippy drum style I think most of us wanted. And the
lyrics seem too un-drug-influenced. Does that make since? The Puppy
lyrics I'm used to were like poems you'd have to read 100 times to
finally get it.. and most often there was actually a lot of meaning
behind them. I'm not feeling that off this album. :(
Please let me quote Keef...
|> The possible exception to this is "Useless" which
|> features members of Static X and definitely has a nu-metal vibe to it,
|> particularly in the chorus
|
|NONONONONONO Nu-metal AAArrrgghh!
|
|I'm STILL going to buy it, but the review reads like, "Process II".
Huh? Where's the nu-metal vibe in "The Process I"?
Death
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
Faust
2004-04-01 07:05:25 UTC
I really challenge people to listen to this on it's own and quit trying
to compare it to anything. Just listen to it and let it stand alone.
As a long time fan I can say some tracks come across a little week while
others really set me on my ass.

to email me remove the "-"
heyman
2004-04-02 23:43:13 UTC
You know, after listening in my 4Runner where I can get the full
experience - and same at home in the morning - I have to say, you're
right. It hints of many things (you can definitely tell they reused
some samples or instruments or whatever that they had during Process),
but stands on it's own.

And anything I mentioned about RLZ - scratch it. If anything, the new
RLZ reminds me more of Front Line Assembly. And I'm not sure how that
makes me feel. LOL

to email me remove the "-"
Faust
2004-04-01 05:14:34 UTC
I will never engage in a conversation on who is and isn't talented.
SP started with 2 members. Kevin & Kevin. Later they added that Bill
Leeb (ha) then cam Dwayne. I will forever miss Dwayne's contribution
but Puppy can live on.

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:16:14 -0800, Loki Ambrodious von Esling
Face it folks, SP is back.
Sorry bro, Skuppy was Kevin Crompton, Kevin Ogilvie and Dwayne. The two
Kevins can't make up for that.
Dwayne was the only talented one of the group anyway.
But Skinny Puppy still sucks.
np: VAST - Turquoise
Faust
2004-04-01 05:18:11 UTC
Bill Leeb? Hmm.... Drugs. That's all I can really say that made
that choice to add him a good one..

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:35:40 -0800, "Oh shit, what are we gonna necco
Sorry bro, Skuppy was Kevin Crompton, Kevin Ogilvie and Dwayne. The two
Kevins can't make up for that.
Dwayne was the only talented one of the group anyway.
But Skinny Puppy still sucks.
Dwayne wasn't there from the beginning, the Kevins were. Nuff said.
But bleeb was kicked out of skinny puppy. That either proves that even
bleeb couldn't stand being in skinny puppy or that FLA sucks much much
more than Skinny Puppy.
Either way, Canada sucks.
Faust
Faust
2004-04-01 06:59:49 UTC
Now that is a damn fine idea. Brap on
I just saw this while checking out a NIN forum today.
Alex, from litany.net's bulletin board, translated a review found
http://zeromagazine.nu/rec.asp?id=480
<snip/>
Wow, I've come over all excited. I think I'll have to sit down and
listen to Skinny Puppy's back catalogue from start to finish...
Dave
Faust
2004-04-01 07:03:35 UTC
Uh... Fuck no. It stands on it's own and it what the Process should
have been
Fans of Ohgr's solo work are most
likely to be pleased with this record as there are many similar
elements.
Oh no!
TGW does not focus on Puppy's most dischordant and chaotic
moments;
Aw.. shite
it is not as "experimental" as some of their previous work,
Bollocks!
although it is by no means to be considered a "mainstreamed" version
of Puppy. There are still enough distortions and time signature
changes, chopped up bits, and creepiness to make any radio DJ cringe
in his sneakers. The possible exception to this is "Useless" which
Keef
2004-04-01 12:31:49 UTC
What? You mean "Not shit?"
kev
2004-04-02 23:19:39 UTC
All I have to say to this thread is:

DaddyuWarbash - one of the BEST Puppy tracks of all time IMHO. The
sound to this song is fresh, and to me sounds like a natural
progression from where they left off @ The Process...
Sound Mirror
2004-04-03 06:51:03 UTC
Post by kev
DaddyuWarbash - one of the BEST Puppy tracks of all time IMHO. The
sound to this song is fresh, and to me sounds like a natural
eck, the title of this song just rubs me the wrong way.. but i'm holding out
to hear the whole thing when the album actually gets released
Synthetick07
2004-04-03 22:35:46 UTC
Post by kev
DaddyuWarbash - one of the BEST Puppy tracks of all time IMHO. The
sound to this song is fresh, and to me sounds like a natural
one of the worst if you ask me, but i did not dig this new album at all. the
last word on that song (the last on the album) is "enough" and i couldnt agree
more after ogre says "woof woof woof woof woof" after a keyboard sound of a
barking dog.
Faust
barking dog.
Faust
2004-04-04 07:18:32 UTC
I agre because god knows we need a good title...

at first I questioned the guitar but looking back Puppy is no stranger
to a guitary sound. Look at rabies for example

I absolutely love how this track ends.. Kinda tongue in cheek if you
ask me
Sound Mirror
2004-04-04 08:24:32 UTC
Post by Faust
I agre because god knows we need a good title...
i wasn't "judging a book by its cover", so-to-speak
Look at "One Time, One Place" instead.. years before rabies
kev
2004-04-04 22:27:42 UTC
This album, after several listens, is much better than the process.
Process seemed very confusing,. probably a good representation of the
confusion the band was in at that time.

This album, though diverse and varied, seems a bit more focused than
the process. And includes some puppy "greats" in my opinion

Goneja is simply an amazing track. Very well done. Daddyuwarbash as i
said before, probably one of my fave puppy tracks. Ghostman is an
innovative and interesting piece...

Glad that puppy is back
Keef
2004-04-09 22:53:44 UTC
Post by kev
the process. And includes some puppy "greats" in my opinion
Goneja is simply an amazing track. Very well done. Daddyuwarbash as i
said before, probably one of my fave puppy tracks. Ghostman is an
innovative and interesting piece...
Glad that puppy is back
On a few more listens this isn't too bad. Definitely better than the
process. If I listen to it as an album that isn't puppy it's quite
good.

Is it just me or does it seriously lack proper low end?
------------------------------
www.sharpsinjury.net
to email me remove the "-"
Francois Labreque
2004-04-04 23:51:39 UTC
Program ended abnormally on 04/04/2004 04:24, Due to a catastrophic Sound Mirror
Post by Faust
at first I questioned the guitar but looking back Puppy is no stranger
to a guitary sound. Look at rabies for example
Look at "One Time, One Place" instead.. years before rabies
"Dig it" also had guitars, and it predates "One Time, One Place" by a year or so...
--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never
videotron.ca | - Calvin
Sound Mirror
2004-04-05 00:14:36 UTC
Post by Francois Labreque
Post by Sound Mirror
Look at "One Time, One Place" instead.. years before rabies
"Dig it" also had guitars, and it predates "One Time, One Place" by a year or so...
they were both released in 1986..

eh, what's it really matter anyway.. they're on the same damn album, no?
Lagowski
2004-04-04 13:11:57 UTC
Eight years after The Process, Skinny Puppy return with their new album,
The Greater Wrong of the Right.
I'm so scared it's going to suck but I'm going to order it anyway!
A project generally doesn't suck if cEvin Key has anything to do with it!
Lief Kirn
2004-04-05 22:23:55 UTC
Post by Lagowski
A project generally doesn't suck if cEvin Key has anything to do with it!
But it generally sucks when Ogre has anything to do with it.

Go Download... SP is wack.
Paul's penis is HELL, boy.
2004-04-06 00:41:15 UTC
Post by Lief Kirn
Post by Lagowski
A project generally doesn't suck if cEvin Key has anything to do with it!
But it generally sucks when Ogre has anything to do with it.
Go Download... SP is wack.
neither of the kevins really have anything going for them.
--
np: nothin'

AIM: WhoKilledtheJAMs
dukncovr at kmfdm dot com
http://www.rit.edu/~pmy5192

xHELLxH0UNDx: brains flow better when they are lubricated
Faust
2004-04-07 01:02:28 UTC
This is probably the funniest post I have ever seen in relation to SP
and not because it's funny...
Go Download... SP is wack.
sodasoda
2004-04-05 00:21:13 UTC
Eight years after The Process, Skinny Puppy return with their new album,
The Greater Wrong of the Right.
this album sucked ass. even otto von schirach's bad ass beats on track
9 couldn't cover up the constant sucking sound coming from my computer
speakers.

np: sleepytime gorilla museum (now these guys...know how to rock)
Vilifiend
yeah it did suck ass. so generic.
Alien
2004-04-15 13:18:10 UTC
Post by Vilifiend
yeah it did suck ass. so generic.
Is this old Puppy, well no. What I do think it is, is a better
envisioning of what they attempted to accomplish with The Process. I had
a mixed view with The Process. I thought the album itself was good (not
great, but still solidly good), despite this, I also thought that it was
the worst album to ever be released by the Puppy camp. Considering the
album was never completed, perhaps this was to be expected. In regard to
The Greater Wrong Of The Right, the best way I could figure out to
describe the album to a friend was as "It's like The Process, just this
time it was done well." So what's that mean, well, it's dancy, DAMN DANCY
in fact. It does have more of a poppy feel to it than most previous Puppy
recordings (Process being the only one that could compare), but none the
less, it is solid it what it seems to attempt to achieve. But is this
album great? Well, I wouldn't go that far. Was it worth the wait? Yeah
sure, I'm satisfied with it. Sure it kinda of sucks to say good bye to
the old Puppy stylings, but then again, the Puppy crew always kind of
seemed to be about moving forward to me. How long could they really have
been expected to sit in the venture they had been exploring arguably since
their inception?

Where the old Puppy stylings are concerned, I've personally felt that such
got concluded with the initial releasings out of Download (Furnace,
Charlie's Family, and The Eye's of Stanley Pain).

Something to further note, is that part of the reason Download even came
about was due to Ogre desiring to explore different avenues. In that
regard, I think what may be noted is that Ogre and Cevin seem to have
reached some sort of happy compromise. One where we they both could
express elements of what they wanted in a clear, coherent, and workable
manner. Not quite the poppishness of Ogre, some elements (though minimal)
of early Puppy days, and a new avenue for the Puppy camp as a whole.

Could it have been better? Sure, but then again, EVERY ALBUM BY EVERY
ARTIST CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER. What's the solution to a lack of
disappointment? Get up and start working on music yourself. If you
really want those old days of Puppy, seek out to incorporate them in new
and interesting ways. Ultimately, the blame for a lack of interesting
things to hear doesn't lie with the music being pumped out by the music
artist you're listening to, but with the music you're refusing to pump
out. =)

Regards,

Alien (23)

DJ Eurotic
2004-04-06 20:44:49 UTC
Post by sodasoda
this album sucked ass. even otto von schirach's bad ass beats on track
9 couldn't cover up the constant sucking sound coming from my computer
speakers.
np: sleepytime gorilla museum (now these guys...know how to rock)
Otto fucking RULES. I think I'm one of the only people who dug The
Process, and it's a lot more accessible than OhGr's weirdness. I like
it. Is it "old" Skuppy? No. But it's still pretty cool, and kicks
the new FLA's ass.

I dig Otto's stuff on the first track, too.

np- Baseck/Otto Von Shirach/Doormouse Live in Pittsburg 2003