Industrial music and modern dance
Robb C
2004-10-28 17:15:24 UTC
I encountered industrial music in the most unlikely venue the other
day.

I went to see the Lyon Opera Ballet expecting typical classical fare.
However, they performed a piece called Critical Mass set to music that
ranged from hard pounding EBM to harsh electronic noise to soft
ambient machine-humming. The dancers consisted of two men in drab,
working class outfits (not ballet garb) moving through a mildly
homoerotic, highly challenging and dextrous dance.

Also of interest to avante-guardists was Duo, the "music" for which
was mostly silence punctuated by dissonant piano chords, while two
women tiptoed around the stage and fell over (on purpose) repeatedly.

The other two pieces were not avante garde at all but were nonetheless
excellent.

Anyway, if you are into industrial and open to expanding your horizons
into the performing arts, you should definitely check this out,
especially "Critical Mass".

Just thought I'd drop in and say something on-topic, as opposed to the
commercial spam that now accounts for the vast majority of posts here.
Leland Gaunt
2004-10-31 23:09:45 UTC
Post by Robb C
I encountered industrial music in the most unlikely venue the other
day.
Sounds pretty cool. I've noticed (it seems like for years now) that random
industrial music finds its way into very unlikely and totally normal places
- radio station bumpers, evening news, commercials, etc. I wish I could
remember some examples, but nothing specific. Also, things like Cirque du
Soleil or Blue Man Group - some of that is very EBM.