Depeche Mode Producer Asked To Oversee Fad Gadget Tribute
Luddite_joe
2004-04-01 13:22:16 UTC
Depeche Mode Producer Asked To Oversee Fad Gadget Tribute
Posted by: Side-Line on April 1, 04 | 12:00 am |

In a recent interview with Side-line magazine, Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode
producer John Fryer said he was recently approached by Mute Record's Daniel
Miller and Depeche Mode frontman Dave Gahan to produce a tribute album of song
from their good friend Fad Gadget. Fad Gadget, whose real name was Frank Tovey,
was a pioneer of electronic dance music in the 1980's and died two years ago on
April 3rd 2002. Fryer says that Miller and Gahan had been talking about doing a
tribute CD last year, one year after Tovey's death, but Gahan was tied up in
other projects at the time. "The time is right," said Fryer, "There were many
bands who were influence by this mad genius. The funny thing is that everyone
who I have approached loves the idea."
"Depeche Mode was at one time the opening act for Fad Gadget and he opened for
them on their last tour. The guys really want this to happen." Fryer says
others, besides Gahan, that may play on the CD include Mute artist's Moby, Non,
Appliance, Laibach, Throbbing Gristle, and Nick Cave. Other artist who have
expressed interest include Richard H Kirk, Siouxsie Sioux, Bill Leeb (Delirium),
and Gary Numan.
As a side note, Stephan Groth (Apoptyma Berzerk, Fairlight Children) has also
said in a recent interview with Side-line, that he would like to do a project of
Fad Gadget/ Frank Tovey covers with bands that the industrial music innovator
influenced. "When working on a song, or touring I will turn on a Fad Gadget CD
and others around will chime in. He really help start it all. " Groth said he
knows members of Covenant, Icon of Coil, VNV Nation, Echo Image, and Beborn
Beton would be attracted to a futurepop tribute to Fad Gadget.
Locke
2004-04-01 17:52:35 UTC
Please let me quote Luddite_joe...
|As a side note, Stephan Groth (Apoptyma Berzerk, Fairlight Children) has also
|said in a recent interview with Side-line, that he would like to do a project of
|Fad Gadget/ Frank Tovey covers with bands that the industrial music innovator
|influenced. "When working on a song, or touring I will turn on a Fad Gadget CD
|and others around will chime in. He really help start it all. " Groth said he
|knows members of Covenant, Icon of Coil, VNV Nation, Echo Image, and Beborn
|Beton would be attracted to a futurepop tribute to Fad Gadget.

Even if it's just an April fool's joke, this is very rude and
disrespectful. Nobody should make such horrible jokes about a dead man
who has not the slightest chance of taking action against it.

CU,
Locke

NP: Keith Jarrett "... at the Blue Note"
--
| |